PDA

View Full Version : honda 460

bigmatt86
03-15-2006, 03:09 PM
A friend of mine told me that he had a 460ex is there even a kit to make one that big i have never heard of that befor. do you think that it would be very reliable because im thinkin of buying it

04'400ex'er
03-15-2006, 03:18 PM
460 cc's come from a combination of a bore and stroke. I think hotrods makes a stroker crank and piston kit to make the ex a 460. I know that people on here have them too so they should chime in on this.

PismoLocal
03-15-2006, 04:20 PM
From what i have read 460's are torque monsters. Personally i would ask him what compression ratio it has and if he has a heavy duty cam chain and oversized head studs in the motor. If its 11:1 or higher and it doesnt have that stuff i wouldnt touch it unless you like replacing head gaskets. If you do a search on big bore 400ex's you will see that most people have reliablity problems when they bore to 440 and bigger and dont get oversized headstuds and a heavy duty cam chain. Of course if the price is right you might want to get it and it could be a fun project to rebuild the motor.

trx400exxracer
03-15-2006, 05:48 PM
ask modracer5 on here

2004exrider
03-15-2006, 07:14 PM
I believe the 460 is a stock stroke with a 92mm piston, the 465 is a combo of an extra 4mm of stroke and an 89mm piston. If im wrong someone please correct me.

Jimmy

04TRX400EX
03-15-2006, 10:28 PM
According to a product evaluation in April's ATV Action, the 460 Hot Rod kit is composed of a long stroke crank, big bore piston, and a special Hot Cam made for the 460cc bore. The cam is designed for increased top-end performance, which is perfectly matched to the kit since the 460 engine produces massive amounts of low-end torque. The evaluation says that it is very easy to ride, much like a stock 400EX, but has much more power on tap when and if you want it. The kit retails for about $730. The compression is not noted, but to keep it reliable and from blowing up, I would estimate it to be no more than 10.8 or 11:1. The 460 kit also recommends an airbox mod, performance air filter and full exhaust to make the best use of the power. Acceleration tests in 100 yards showed that the 460 stroker is almost 1 second quicker than a stock 400EX (6.28 vs. 7.25 sec). It's apparently even faster than a 450R.

cosborne
03-15-2006, 10:44 PM
I have seen them 4sale in a motorsport.com catalog for around $550 or so.

honda460ex
03-15-2006, 10:49 PM
lol, got questions, I got answers... Hence my user name, honda460ex... You can see what internals I have on mine below, and I built the motor myself. So I know it inside and out. Hotrods does advertise their crank to be a 460, but like the guy before said, it is only if you use a 440 sleeve with it. The crank has a stroke of +4mm. Trinity has been building these motors for a long while before Hotrods came out with this setup. They do what is a 465 kit. A 460 like I said is a 440 sleeve with an 89mm bore piston. The 465 from trinity is a +4mm crank, 440 sleeve honed out a little with an 89.5mm piston. Therefore making the extra 5cc's. I have the Hotrods crank and love it. The only thing you have to machine to get the thing to fit correctly, is in most cases you will have to shave a bit off the balancer in the motor. Not much honestly, but just a little. Otherwise the rod will catch it. See, the 460 is a torque monster if done right. Two ways you get torque out of a motor, A.)CC's (ME:460), B.)Compression (ME:13 to1). I went with both of course when I built mine and have not had to turn a wrench on her in 8 months of it being together. Ask "underpowered" how it runs and maintains. I'm workin on suspension more than the motor!lol.. He will tell you, it is a torque monster. Now, as far as a cam goes, they have just came out with a stroker cam made specifically for this setup from Hotcams. I did have the stage 2 hotcam in it for the last 6 months. It had an ungodly amount of torque with a good amount of horsepower on top. But I always felt it was lagging, and I was right. See, when you extend the stroke of your motor, to really get all the top end power out of it, you need those valves to stay open for those extra 4mm's. A stock or even after market cam will not unless it is a stroker cam designed specifically for it. Now, the stroker cam does take back some of my low end torque, BUT, it is still an unbelievable torque monster. And now, it has an awesome amount of top end power. First moto on this motor against built yfz's, 450r's, z-400's, I took the wholeshot and I even screwed up letting the motor bog. Then, the next round I took second only to a built yfz and I screwed up and let the motor bog again. That was with my old cam. Haven't tried mith my new cam yet, but I can now take off in third gear where I used to wholeshot in second. Basically, let go and hang on! I've got MSD Ignition too though. I would defiantely recomend that with this setup. And a carb is a must as well. Head ported and polished is good. Larger intake valves. I'm on a factory cam chain, had bad luck personally with 450r chains. GT Thunder head studs. Cosmetic gaskets. Any questions??? pm me or keep on this forum.

honda460ex
03-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Yeah, one other note I forgot. If you go with the piston from Hotrods, you are only going to be getting a 10.5 to 1 compression. Personally, not enough for me. The stroker of course has to have a custom piston unless you want to get an extending plate for the base of your cylinder and custom make a timing chain. My personal thoughts if you are serious, ask people on here if they have an 89mm bore piston with a higher compression and a 2mm higher wrist pin location. Without that 2mm higher wrist pin location you are screwed. You will have some clashing of a piston/head/valves, and those are not good... No company will custom make you one piston with a higher wrist pin location that I have found. They all want you to order 4 or more pistons. At $150-200 a pop, that's expensive! So check that out before you get to serious!

chigger
03-16-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by honda460ex
I screwed up and let the motor bog

Just curious to what you mean here. Does the kit seem to make the ex rev any slower? Are you flooding it or too high a gear? With alot of power on an mx track, im just used to a bike either spinning or pulling the front wheels. I cant make mine bog. :p Also, what gearing are you running? This looks like my kinda progect if I ever get any spending money again.

honda460ex
03-16-2006, 08:28 PM
Well, when I said bogging, I meant that I had it in second gear and dumped the clutch, when I took off, it wouldn't spin the wheels enough so the motor bogged and then a second later it decided to rev out and take off. Kinda like I almost stalled it. See that was with my old cam though. It had the torque on the low end to pull itself unbelieveably well, but when you hit the high rpms you could tell it was missing the edge that the bottom end had. So, when I dumped it in second, I didn't have enough throttle on it, and it didn't quite have the horses it should on the top end, therefore it bogged first. Hope that makes sense. I just got back from the track tonight with my new stroker cam in it. And with it, it opens up the power on the top end now and makes it an all around smooth strong power band. It added everthing I needed to the top end power. As far as reving, it revs extremely fast! Way faster than stock! I can hit 10,250rpms literally before you can snap your fingers. Some say strokers rev slower, not mine... Gearing, I'm running a 16 tooth in the front, 40 in the rear, and of course 18 inch tires in the rear. It all figures out to around a stock gear ratio with the tire size. With the suspension on this thing, you have to want to pull a wheelie to get it to. Honestly, it's the best thing I could have done to my ex, motor and suspension... The motor is honestly well worth it and I would recomend this to anyone serious about making there 400ex a faster quad. Sorry for writing a book...lol.

coryatver
03-16-2006, 08:30 PM
I would get the GT thunder stroker 452cc custom JE piston

honda460ex
03-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Just curious, why? And how much would that run you?

coryatver
03-16-2006, 08:43 PM
It is race proven and I trust gt thunders work. The price is on there website

honda460ex
03-16-2006, 09:23 PM
I understand the race proven part... But I wouldn't pay there prices when you can do the hotrods stroker crank installation yourself and build a motor just as bad or better for half the cost. Just my personal thoughts, nothing intended back at you. Mine has been together for 8-10 hard months. No problems yet as far as proving anything goes.

chigger
03-16-2006, 10:15 PM
I agree, the bang for your buck is the only reason I would be attracted to an ex progect. Theres no sence in spending 1500 - 2000 bucks on the motor of an ex when you can get a 450 for that. The 700 bucks in parts is amazing. If you find a blown up ex and make it a progect, you could have a fast bike for under 2 grand! Budget is what got me into my dale. I wanted a 450. Bought it blown up and built the motor. It was alot of run and I would love to do it again if I had any money. lol :D

K_Fulk
03-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
I believe the 460 is a stock stroke with a 92mm piston, the 465 is a combo of an extra 4mm of stroke and an 89mm piston. If im wrong someone please correct me.

Jimmy
You got it backwards.