PDA

View Full Version : Jetting

QuadMatt
07-24-2002, 07:07 AM
I am looking for some guidance in jetting. Here is my situation:

2000 400EX
K&N Filter
K&N Jet kit
Stock exhaust with the center of the tip cut out so its like a big hole with no spark arrester or anything.

When i put the K&N filter on i put the K&N needle and the 142 jet in. Then i cut the muffler and i moved the needle down one notch to fourth from top. There is a good performance increase. Better throttle response and low end. Im happy with the performance, but im running rich. My plug gets black and i get black smoke when revving high. So, I have the thing apart and i am wondering what to do. Should I put the needle back to third from top and go with the next size jet? I cant remember what was the next size up.

ALso, I assume from looking at the jets that the K&N jets are a completely different system than stock regarding the sizes. What i mean is that the same number stock jet is not equivalent to the same number K&N jet. Is this true?

Does anyone know of a source for a chart that tells you how jets effect your air/fuel mixture? This would be for the K&N jet kit.

Any help here is appreciated. Thanks

QuadMatt
07-24-2002, 10:22 AM
Can I get some help here, Please!!!!!

QuadMatt
07-24-2002, 11:16 AM
Well, I guess nobody is interested in helping me so.....**** y'all

UglyMotha™
07-24-2002, 12:21 PM
:huh :huh good lord ya dick! ya definantly don't deserve any help now but i guess i'll throw in some:rolleyes:

you need to raise your clip back up to the 3rd notch for aplications below 5000ft or the 2nd notch for above 5000 4th notch is to much for your application and then you should run the 142 if your below 3000ft or the 138 from 3000 to 6000 and the 134 for above 6000ft i would recommed leaving the jet you have in it and changing the posistion of the clip and then go from there the the dj142 k/n jet is the same as a 142 keihn jet they just look different cause you have to use an adapter with the k/n and also it is good to run just a little rich but not to rich i have mine setup where is does puff a little black smoke not alot just a little when i rev it

QuadMatt
07-24-2002, 02:15 PM
Thank you Motha for your help. I guess a got a little impatient when like 30 people have looked at my post and nobody answers. Especially since i know that some of these guys, no name need be mention, know this stuff but arent answering me.