PDA

View Full Version : Where do I go from here?

lanky3767
03-15-2006, 09:02 AM
I have an 86' 250r that I let go to you know where. I have just recently blown off the dust and got it back in good running condition with a new crank and gasket kit with mechanical and oil seal. She is running great. I was at glamis this past weekend and I just wasn't keeping up with people on the hill also my tired suspention is something to be desired. I want to go to long travel eventually, but not until I get the power to need it. Anyone have any ideas on where I should take this next?

250-R-250
03-15-2006, 09:07 AM
Too be honest, its all about what you can afford, atleast when it comes to hill shooting and drags.

The more power, the more you will win. Piston and rings and new bore, reeds, and pipe. Thats a cheap way to gain some power.

Then you can go for a big bore. These get expensive.

TheFontMaster
03-15-2006, 09:14 AM
If you only ride dunes, then you should go with a big bore top end kit. I would sugest a 310 kit since you just went through the motor. If you go any bigger than 310 you will need to split the cases again to have them machined. If you want to go long travel, just get it. Don't get standard travel, then in a year switch to LT. You would just waiste your money.

lanky3767
03-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Who would you suggest I get the 310 kit from?

Hoppedrap
03-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by lanky3767

ESR's the best bang for the buck

TheFontMaster
03-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by lanky3767

Well I have never ran a big bore top end, but when I get the money for one, I'm going for a full LRD set up. Top end, pipe, silencer. But I am going to get the cylinder un ported, and send it to someone that specializes in porting. The biger companies like ESR, LRD, CT racing, they make great products, but since they make so much of them the porting ends up being kind of generic. The only place I know off hand that does great porting is McDizzy. But other people can tell you more place.

koh0001
03-15-2006, 11:27 AM
I have 2 ESR big bore motors...I havn't had any problems with them. I've put a year on the one motor who knows how many hrs??.

wilkin250r
03-15-2006, 02:56 PM
A big bore, unfortunately, is also going to run big bucks. It's worth it if you can afford it.

For a less expensive option, you could look at a simple porting job, combined with some head modifications. There are lots of reputable companies to choose from. You won't be king of the hill, but you can easily get a 30% increase in power for just a few hundred bucks.