PDA

View Full Version : New 450R Mods

Gaskicker
03-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Just bought a new 2005 450R.What mods should I do first,what do they cost and what should I do first.Not gonna be racing mainly trail riding.

04TRX400EX
03-15-2006, 12:31 AM
I'll assume that there is no HRC kit on it, cause you probably would have mentioned it. That being said, there are two areas to focus on, power and suspension. As for power, I would recommend a slip-on exhaust ($230-300) and a K&N air filter ($35). Depending on your riding conditions, I'll leave it up to you whether or not to use the airbox lid. Regardless, you'll have to rejet for the performance mods. If you plan on getting into the internals of the engine, I would suggest a full system exhaust and a Hot Cam. The other option is to get the HRC kit from Honda. It will give you a less restrictive exhaust, higher redline, higher compression piston and a new cam. Plus, cause it is made by Honda, it won't void your warranty. Should cost about $500 installed by your dealer, at most. Now, power is no good of you don't have a bike that can handle it. 450's have a good setup from the factory, but if you really want it to handle, get some Elka shocks up front, with an Elka or rebuilt rear with linkage. Maybe some +2 a-arms too. The peformance mods are reasonably priced. The suspension is going to cost you probably $500-well over $1000 depending on the brands, adjustments, a-arms, etc. I would say do some basic performance mods, and learn what you like and don't like about the stock suspension. The down the road upgrade that.

Gaskicker
03-16-2006, 06:24 PM
The Honda shop mentioned the HRC kit but I probably will wait awhile before opening up the motor.As far as the exhaust will they be ungodly loud?Not a big deal but I've heard bikes so loud I couldn't think straight.

04TRX400EX
03-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Some exhausts are louder than others. Most all companies offer a quiet core of some sort though. It does impede the perfomance a tiny bit, but it takes the noise down to about 94-96dB's, which isn't much louder than stock.

From what I've heard:
the loudest exhausts are HMF, Sparks, DMC, Duncan, FMF and a couple others- all between 101-105dB's
the quieter exhausts are Dr. D, White Bros, and the select pipes from HMF, Pro Circuit, and others that are designed to be quiet