PDA

View Full Version : woods riding 400ex

Penler
03-14-2006, 08:52 PM
i am mostly riding trail, fields, wat would you suggest for me to have on it, i already know im gonna have exhaust, air intake...should ig et high comp piston a big bore kit...wat should i get..i dont want to spend to much i wanted to hopefully get a 450r carb, and shocks...

prepracing
03-14-2006, 09:56 PM
besides the engine mods you said, go for some better tires than stockers and a shock upgrade of somekind

04'400ex'er
03-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Exhaust, HotCams, Holeshots, shocks.

Penler
03-14-2006, 10:14 PM
alright so no need, just prob get a standard high comp piston, holeshots, cam stg 1, exhaust, air, top off outerwear, trx shocks and maybe trx carb or somthing

Penler
03-14-2006, 10:15 PM
no need for big bore kit is what i meant

quadman 05400ex
03-15-2006, 07:52 AM
nope just get a std bore hi comp pistion no big bore needed

03-15-2006, 08:04 AM
definetly get a k&n with a prefilter but get the real one that says precharger on it it is waterproof up to a point i ran about five miles with my airbox half full with water and i didn't even know it and i would get full skid plates and tires maybe a size bigger than stock and handgaurds for the briars and sh** and shocks but dont worry about extending it cause if your on a tight trail then you could catch a tree and rip off a spindle or a-arm or anything of that nature.

Joe400ex
03-15-2006, 08:05 AM
i would get a 416 with stage 2. Stage one feels like it doesnt want to pull much. Stage 2 it pulls all the way through the gears. IMO:D

joe400ex...

Penler
03-15-2006, 08:20 AM
alright sounds good, i dont think i need the big bore kit, it wouldnt benefit me that much

03-15-2006, 08:20 AM
good deal

Rico
03-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Shocks should be the first thing you get.

jak1389
03-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Shocks should be the first thing you get.

what rico said. theres no point to having all that extra power if you have stock shocks. you will be amazed on how much faster you can go with better shocks and no other upgrades.

400exrules
03-15-2006, 11:20 AM
if you ride a lot of trails then you will prob want the basics
pipe, filter, lid ON, maybe a stage 1 cam unless your gettin a piston. but i wouldnt worry about the piston and cam just yet. Their are other things you should look at that are more important then flat out HP. Tires, nerfs, handguards, suspension, lower gearing maybe, tether killswitch, good bumper (i recommend AC), skids

jdboy
03-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Just my .02, there isn't any need for moding you 400ex engine for trail riding. I use mine for that purpose only and have had great results. I would suggest a good swingarm skidplate and maybe a undercarrage guard. You'll also get more results from a good set of shocks than a initial engine upgrade. Pipe and filter are only good for around 2 to 5hp in the RMP range that most trail riders use. Also if your riding on private land the easiest way to piss people off is to get a loud *** quad going first thing in the morning. Like I said before, this is just my .02.

premiumtommy
03-15-2006, 03:17 PM
y dont you ride the quad how it is and see what you think you need before you use money..

i would definetly say the nerfs and skidplate though..

as far as suspension and swingarms and all...wait till you feel you need it..

the 400ex is a great quad to start off with..unless you ride REALLY HARD on trails all the time, you arent gonna feel a difference and most likely wont break your swingarm...

i ride the piss out of my quad..its a quad..it breaks i fix it w cheap ebay stock parts...o far the most i have done is bent a rim, ground down the stock exhaust tip (wheelie) and broke the stock handlebars (flip)...again, i ride the PISS out of my quad..if someone says i can't...you bet i try!!!

but it is up to you to spend your cash

NCexRider
03-15-2006, 03:59 PM
I ride aggressive trails mostly all of the time. Check out my mods in my signature. 22" tires are a must on the 400EX for trail riding, as well as some skid plates, nerfs, and going one tooth down in the front.;)

EXevan91
03-15-2006, 04:41 PM
U NEED SKIDS u dont need to do mush to the engine yet hand guards a a good idea too and a bumper something that u can grab and pull the quad around if need be and thats all really if u want k&n and some kind of exhaust make sure its kinda quiet tho trust me it will help when trespassing. GL tires to these razrs are nice :D

Penler
03-15-2006, 08:15 PM
alright thanks guys, i guess im just prob gonna try and get suspension as my first bet, if i were to get it i wouldnt wanna buy super expensive shocks but decent ones, i dont have much to spend but i want to def get the best deal i can get.... name good shocks and prices..cheaper the better ;)

jdboy
03-16-2006, 03:28 AM
I've heard good things about the new Works Emulsion series combined with the stock rear shock (revalved if needed). Under $400 for the front set. Not bad in the world of suspenders.