PDA

View Full Version : ATVRiders - Operation Clean House

MOFO
03-14-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Lately the quality of posts and violation of the rules have been getting worse every day.

This is a site that is intended for ALL age groups to come and talk about our favorite sport, including family's. Seeing this trash on the boards is going to drive many good/quality members away. I will not let this happen. This site was founded on quality and grew based on the quality posts and information it provided.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** The foul language, sexual remarks/pictures, flat out bashing...etc will stop now. If I see any of this, the post will be removed, you will get ONE and ONLY ONE warning, then you are banned. No questions asked. This applies to ALL members!

*** Advertising also has gone out of control. This site has sponsors that PAY to advertise on this site. This money is used to keep ATVRiders available to everyone for no charge. DO NOT advertise for ANY company that is not a paying sponsor of this site (this includes phone numbers, addresses and websites). Again, any violations will get ONE warning - after that your membership is banned.

*** Threads referring to illegally downloading copyrighted material (DVD's, music...etc) and copying them will be removed and the guilty parties will be warned once, then banned.

*** This is not an AOL chat room. Pointless threads that are only designed to up "post" counts will be removed. These threads are cluttering the forum and making it difficult to find actual questions and information.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything I mentioned above applies not only to posts, but avatars, titles & signatures.

This is a family oriented ATV site for ALL to enjoy. If this is not what you are expecting to get out of this site, the internet is very vast and I'm sure you'll find what you need elsewhere.

I am going to leave this thread open for any quality suggestions members might have relating to this - be warned - I said "quality". ;)

Pappy
03-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
If this is not what you are expecting to get out of this site, the internet is very vast and I'm sure you'll find what you need elsewhere.

100% behind you:D

JOEX
03-14-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
+100%;)

honduh440
03-14-2006, 08:38 PM
you should put a sherrif badge as ur avatar

Mxjunkie
03-14-2006, 08:39 PM
Just wondering on the downloading and dvd blah blah blah threads, whats the reason for that?

I'm all for cleaning the site up though

MOFO
03-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by honduh440
you should put a sherrif badge as ur avatar

I think the Steeler logo is close enough. :D

JDiablo
Originally posted by Pappy

110%:devil:

ZeroLogic
I would make this thread a sticky so everyone will see it, read it and stop the bsing.

Quad18star
03-14-2006, 08:44 PM
My #1 suggestion ... and this has been recommended by you and others ... get rid of the post count . Instead of the post count , it's too bad there wasn't a way for the number that is displayed to be a number regarding say a good seller transaction ... I'm not sure if that's possible ( kind of like Ebay ratings)

MOFO
03-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Just wondering on the downloading and dvd blah blah blah threads, whats the reason for that?

I made sure I stated "copyrighted" material. This is illegal and will not be discussed on this site. I'm sure Harlen is not paying the bill to support a site that allows discussion on stealing other peoples/company's work.

JOEX
03-14-2006, 08:45 PM

Most of that topic involves illegally downloading copyrighted material either by email or peer to peer programs.

Illegal activity is not tolerated on Atvriders.com

MOFO
03-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
My #1 suggestion ... and this has been recommended by you and others ... get rid of the post count . Instead of the post count , it's too bad there wasn't a way for the number that is displayed to be a number regarding say a good seller transaction ... I'm not sure if that's possible ( kind of like Ebay ratings)

I agree with you 100%. I'll recommend it and discuss it with the staff. :)

luvmyex
03-14-2006, 08:46 PM
you should be banned for just showing that steelers avatar. talk about a dirty pic:rolleyes:

but i do agree with ya. something need to be done!

Mxjunkie
03-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Most of that topic involves illegally downloading copyrighted material either by email or peer to peer programs.

Illegal activity is not tolerated on Atvriders.com

I see....... I dunno guys, it just seems like everything is becoming a tad bit TOO strict.. it's nice to relax, shoot the chit with some guys on here and post but have fun while posting.. Now when people post it feels like we have a gun to our head ready to go off because we dont know if someones going to either flame it or a mod will come and throw down the hammer..

The problem really is some of the members imo the rules are fine as they allways have been never had to many problems in the past.

Advertising I can see a problem with but alot of us have sponsors and for us to get our deals and make our sponsors happy we have to give them some credit here and there..

the site deff needs some cleaning up, cant agree more just ease the chain a tad we allready lost some good memebers as it is :o

jwick07
03-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Could you also include length of the signatures. Some list every aftermarket nut and bolt on their rides. Drives me crazy to see people list out one item per line and then have 100 line sigs. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way too.

Another question is listing your parts that are not site sponsor products in your signature allowed??

Laters

JOEX
03-14-2006, 08:50 PM
I agree with you 100%. I'll recommend it and discuss it with the staff. :)
Yep. Post counts used to mean something when there were more quality posts than quantity posts.

All the 100, 500, 1000 etc. 'celebrations posts' really ruined it:ermm:

Scro
03-14-2006, 08:52 PM

I agree with you to some extent. I think that post made in the Open Forum should not be counted. Instead just in the other informative forums. I just think that would stop bs'ers on her that are just trying to run up a huge post count.

But, now that I think about, they may just move to the other forums and start BS. Maybe getting rid of the post count all together is the best bet.

MOFO
03-14-2006, 08:52 PM
I see....... I dunno guys, it just seems like everything is becoming a tad bit TOO strict.. it's nice to relax, shoot the chit with some guys on here and post but have fun while posting.. Now when people post it feels like we have a gun to our head ready to go off because we dont know if someones going to either flame it or a mod will come and throw down the hammer..

The problem really is some of the members imo the rules are fine as they allways have been never had to many problems in the past.

Where do you draw the line - when its too late and we've already lost good members? This is being done to nip the problem in the butt now before it becomes a much larger problem.

What I mentioned above has ALWAYS been enforced from DAY 1, when the site was first started - trust me, I know.

We will not change just because a large group of kids want to make this their playground.

Its kinda funny you mention this... most of the sites that started because we were too strict have collapsed and failed when they started a "free for all" forum.

I've seen alot of sites grow in the past 5-10 years (other than this site). The only thing they all share in common is being strict to their rules and keeping the site "real" - cutting BS waste.

I suggest any people that have a problem with this go to www.vwvortex.com , www.glocktalk.com and www.avsforum.com - three other sites I visit often and they MUCH larger than this site. Go join up and try to pass the junk you see on here. You'll be gone before you know it, but yet they retain a VERY LARGE member base, quality discussions and great financial backing by sponsors to keep the site running. IMO those are the 3 main keys to having a successful website/forum. ATVRiders is approaching those numbers and success - lets keep it that way.

Remember this is ATVRiders.com - not anythinggoesBS.com. :)

watts16
03-14-2006, 08:53 PM
Yep. Post counts used to mean something when there were more quality posts than quantity posts.

All the 100, 500, 1000 etc. 'celebrations posts' really ruined it:ermm:

maybe a points system could be used?
Senior- Admin/Mods
Junior- Supporting members
Sophmore- regular members
Freshman- New members

Just a thought.

Mxjunkie
03-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Where do you draw the line - when its too late and we've already lost good members? This is being done to nip the problem in the butt now before it becomes a much larger problem.

What I mentioned above has ALWAYS been enforced from DAY 1, when the site was first started - trust me, I know.

We will not change just because a large group of kids want to make this their playground.

Oh I know I can see how its becoming quite the play ground and rules will be needed to get everyone to cool their jets, I just dont want it to turn out to be too much enforcement and everyone not having fun anymore. :)

JOEX
03-14-2006, 08:57 PM

Advertising I can see a problem with but alot of us have sponsors and for us to get our deals and make our sponsors happy we have to give them some credit here and there..
It was posted that the internet is vast, there are many other places to do what ever you want.

Things may seem more strict here but that is because of how big this site has become and because of the handful of people who have abused the resources of the site. Nothing has changed about throwing down the hammer, flaming is a different story....

Quad18star
03-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by jwick07
Could you also include length of the signatures. Some list every aftermarket nut and bolt on their rides. Drives me crazy to see people list out one item per line and then have 100 line sigs. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way too.
Laters

I agree with this also . Some of the signatures are quite long , especially the ones where every nut and bolt is mentioned . I know I was guilty of this before , but removed parts of it . Maybe keep things to a 3 liner ... Person's name , Type of Machine and maybe sponsors or for those without sponsors a small quote about something .

I dunno I'm just throwing out suggestions.

ZeroLogic
03-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Its mostly the new members that come around here acting like they are the greatest, people comming on here bringing their additude from their soical life onto the board and taking it out on random people. The Open Forum has became rediclious with all of the pointless "yay I hit 1000 post". The post count should be eliminated and in replace for it should be a user's rank. Showing how helpful a user is.

JOEX
03-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Oh I know I can see how its becoming quite the play ground and rules will be needed to get everyone to cool their jets, I just dont want it to turn out to be too much enforcement and everyone not having fun anymore. :)
Have all the fun you want as long as it falls within the rules and we wont have to enforce them...

Isn't that simple?:p

Mxjunkie
03-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Long signatures is probaly the number one thing that annoys everyone haha..

MOFO

I dunno I'm just throwing out suggestions.

...and as always, they are quality suggestions. This is why I'm keeping this open and not closed. :)

Mxjunkie
Have all the fun you want as long as it falls within the rules and we wont have to enforce them...

Isn't that simple?:p

Haha, you guys herd the man. Good clean fun ;) :devil:

Scro
03-14-2006, 09:03 PM
I think there should be a ranking system in place of the post count, based on how long a person has been a member. Like watts16 said:

Senior: mods
Junior: supporting members

and then after that have maybe 8 or 10 "levels" that a member can acheive not matter what their post count is.

trx400exxracer
03-14-2006, 09:05 PM
the sponsors thing can we put our sponsors in our sig like mine is cause I am not putting there web-site adress # or anything else what about stuff like that

and when somone suggest to get there shocks revalved by GT thunder and give them info and what if they are better and someone gets mad cause they might really be better than C & D

Just example would the post be deleted

Scro
03-14-2006, 09:05 PM
I also agree about the sigs. A 5 line limit should be plenty.

MOFO
03-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by trx400exxracer
the sponsors thing can we put our sponsors in our sig like mine is cause I am not putting there web-site adress # or anything else what about stuff like that

and when somone suggest to get there shocks revalved by GT thunder and give them info and what if they are better and someone gets mad cause they might really be better than C & D

Just example would the post be deleted

If they are not a supporting sponsor - NO phone numbers, websites or addresses.

250R-Dee
03-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Please do something about the people who have sigs that are 10~20 lines long! It sucks when a person with a sig that long is post a one-liner reply.

Oh yeah, you guys know I don't have a problem with reporting stupid threads :scary:

jwick07
Not trying to be a smart arse but if someone is looking for lets say graphics kits and people post up pics of their quads and I like "joes" and ask where he got them and he posts up the website for me he ordered them from that by defination would be against the rules if it is not a site sponsor. So he would have to pm the web site address correct?

Mxjunkie
After looking around the other fourms I noticed people on here dont think twice about ripping someones head off.

If ya'll would just take sometime instead of saying USE THE SEARCH BUTTON, or Wrong fourm! Answer their questions and dont be so negative about things. Many newbies on the site dont know which topic goes were yet I know it may be a little nerve racking to see a yfz 450 forsale in the open fourm but kindly tell them where it goes instead of going, This belongs in the forsale fourm or Wrong fourm u dumb noobie..

If someone bash's you report it to the mods or send them a PM about the issue instead of cluddering the fourms with your fights.

Just some ideas for ya'll. Take em' or leave em'

As for the advertisement stuff, Are we allowed to pm the person about it?

Say Dennis kirk has a part that c&d racing doesnt, can we atleast recomend them? They may not sponsor the site but we are all here to help each other..

prepracing
03-14-2006, 09:18 PM
If they are not a supporting sponsor - NO phone numbers, websites or addresses.

So could you still PM people information ???

TRX_450
03-14-2006, 09:21 PM
my avatars ok rite?..its meant to make people laugh....not get em "happy" :rolleyes:

MOFO
03-14-2006, 09:22 PM
As for the questions about advertising, I'll see if the Staff and Harlen have any clear answers we can post. Right now it will be under the discretion of the moderating staff.

The major issues we have seen are people that post company's in their signature (with phone numbers) and flat out advertise their own company on this site.

The examples mentioned above have not been a huge problem.

jwick07
03-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by TRX_450
my avatars ok rite?..its meant to make people laugh....not get em "happy" :rolleyes:

oh Tyler it makes me "happy"

but good question

MOFO
03-14-2006, 09:27 PM
Ok guys... this thread was left open for SUGGESTIONS. Not every single question you can think of. Use your heads and make your own decision. If you think it might be wrong or not permitted, your probably right.

I suggest everyone error on the site of caution for the time being.

This is NOT rocket science!

antman
03-14-2006, 09:28 PM
i am behind the moderators with what ever they decide to do. they are the backbone to exriders/atvriders.com and they are the main people who make this site as great as it is. i feel that we should show them some respect and obide by the rules they set while in the forum. this site in my opinion is by far the best atv related site on the web and it is a representing the sport we all love and enjoy. our moderators may be strict at times but that is a right that they have earned by being the role models and most knolegable people on the forum as well as supporting it by giving of there time and money. our mods. have been great for us so we should do the same for them.

just my 2 cents

TRX_450
03-14-2006, 09:28 PM
im keepin it :D ...lol...and jess.....i worry about u sometimes....

EDIT: i think we should have elections for site members becomin moderaters....vote for meeeeeeee!

MOFO
03-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by TRX_450
im keepin it :D ...lol...and jess.....i worry about u sometimes....

EDIT: i think we should have elections for site members becomin moderaters....vote for meeeeeeee!

Since your already trashing this thread and cracking jokes, I highly suggest you remove your avatar. :o

I'm not kidding.

Quad18star
03-14-2006, 09:33 PM
I agree with what Josh said about people getting jumped on for asking a question sometimes . It's true that the question may have been answered before and Yes the search button is there to help ..... but if someone like my dad was to come on here and try and figure out how it all works he'd be confused and if someone would jump all over him he'd never come back .

Some people need to realize that not everyone knows how to work a computer to it's fullest or knows how to navigate the web to it's fullest either ... young and old alike . A simple " Hey here's a link to the topic you're asking about " would be a lot better in keeping new members around and making this an even better website .

JOEX
03-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Since your already trashing this thread and cracking jokes, I highly suggest you remove your avatar. :o

I'm not kidding.
Agreed. That avatar has been a borderline issue, nice at some sites but not here.

MOFO
03-14-2006, 09:34 PM
I agree with what Josh said about people getting jumped on for asking a question sometimes . It's true that the question may have been answered before and Yes the search button is there to help ..... but if someone like my dad was to come on here and try and figure out how it all works he'd be confused and if someone would jump all over him he'd never come back .

Some people need to realize that not everyone knows how to work a computer to it's fullest or knows how to navigate the web to it's fullest either ... young and old alike . A simple " Hey here's a link to the topic you're asking about " would be a lot better in keeping new members around and making this an even better website .

I agree with you, but if there is less clutter, it will be easier to find the info required. Its a fine line between the two, but I hear ya. Thats why we are not robots... everyone needs to use their heads and think.

Mxjunkie
03-14-2006, 09:35 PM

Happened to my cousin, he came on here and I wont say the members name but they jumped the gun and bashed him and he wont post now because he said he doesnt want to cause problems with the members.. :o

TACO'S BACK!?!?

MOFO
03-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Happened to my cousin, he came on here and I wont say the members name but they jumped the gun and bashed him and he wont post now because he said he doesnt want to cause problems with the members.. :o

TACO'S BACK!?!?

This is a great example of what we are trying to avoid.

Now by all means I'm not saying everyone cant have fun, but lets tone it down. You can enjoy this site and still follow the rules - trust me. :)

I'm closing this thread for now. If anyone has serious questions, shoot me or any moderator a PM.

MOFO
03-14-2006, 09:51 PM
I would like to say in the small amount of time that I've closed this thread, I've received GREAT ideas and suggestions via PM's.

Thank you!

Pappy
03-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Here is the deal with regards to advertising....

We all know 99% of the "so and so gave me a great deal" is merely a member expressing gratitude to the said company and to inform a questioning member about the product or service. This is NOT what we are cracking down on.

What we will be holding to a ZERO Tolerence policy is the outright advertising, wether it be in a post, thread or in signature lines. Our sponsors pay to advertise here to give you the OPTION to purchase from them. The advertisers also realize that you will discuss other brands and shops and that is normal, but there is a line that we as moderators must walk and we alone have to figure out if its harmelss or actually something bigger. There are companies that disrespect sponsors, wether it be here or on any other site and we will not tolerate it. This site lists in its small rules section what can and can not be discussed or what will be considered advertising, if a company can not understand those simple rules then they will recieve no benefit of the doubt from the moderating staff.

Another issue we will be zeroing in on is the crop of "businesses" that are infact being operated illegally. We do not accept sponsors that are not 100% bonafide operating businesses and we will not accept pandering from those that fly below the scope of the law. Other sites may, but we will not. This is for YOUR protection as well as ours.

As far as the day to day BS, it will be dealt with. If you as a member feel this is too strict or in some way unfair then we apologize, but it will not change our direction. Far too many members use this site as thier personal everything and feel they have a large say on policy or the direction we intend the site to move. This will not sway our support to the site owner and we all are behind him 110%. And in return he is behind us 110% so crying to him will get you nowhere.

So in conclusion, come to this site to enjoy the information, it's diverse membership and the companionship offered by all of our members. You will get out of this site what you put into it, and I would hope you will decide to make a positive difference in the site's future growth and stability. If you can not understand that all we ask is to treat each other and the integrity of this site respectivley, then we would ask that you spend your time elsewhere so that those that do wish to be here can do so in a civilized and family atmosphere.

Ok, enough big words and grown up talk from me, all I can add is to have fun, and do not put us in a position where we will have to make a decision.

Pap

MOFO
03-14-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks Pappy - I think you summarized exactly what I was trying to get across. :)

MOFO
03-15-2006, 03:26 PM

wilkin250r
03-15-2006, 03:48 PM

How often do we throw down the hammer based on the subject of the thread?

We've been pretty consistent. We aren't going to tolerate discussion of illegal activity, drugs, or sexual content. In reality, there hasn't been a whole lot of that.

Much MORE common is closing or deleting threads because of the direction it is going, or specific posts. The most common are flames and innappropriate content. THIS is what we will be cracking down on.

By all means, relax, have fun. Just do it within the guidelines.

MOFO
03-20-2006, 03:52 AM