PDA

View Full Version : 06 450r Not running right.

leadfoot_52
03-14-2006, 07:40 PM
I bought my new quad 2 weeks ago, and have had a hell of a time trying to get it to run right. It will always bog out when on hard acceleration, and the throttle is not very responsive, and sometimes it dies and is hard to start. I took it back to the dealer and told them about the problem, and they tried to fix it, but nothing seemed to help. I am more than positive that this is a jetting issue as it seems to be on all of the 06's. The mechanic even told me the other 2 06's that they have there do the same thing. I am not looking to mod anything just yet because i am on a budget, but for 6700 dollars I would think that the damn machine should run properly. What do you guys think I should do? I am going to pick it up tomorrow and I want a jet kit or something from the dealer so I can at least fix this by myself. I am not very impressed by the 06 machine yet, but i think someone at Honda has their head up their *** for sending out Brand new quads that dont even run properly. Do you think it would be a good idea to ask for a free jet kit from the dealer so I can fix my problem? Just my 2 cents

Lax
03-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Mine runs better then perfect. So it dosnt affect ALL 06's. If I were you, I would talk to a Honda Rep. or call other dealerships and ask what the problem would be.

Extreem
03-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Is the air mixture screw on the carb adjusted properly ? I'de have them check it out....

Jonas
03-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Can you explain a little more in detail the problem?

What elevation do you live at?

Also, you said "sometimes it dies", does it just die out of the blue?

What quad did you ride previously to this one?

leadfoot_52
03-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Used to ride an 87 250x. I work at a motorcycle/snowmobile/atv shop, and it will cut out and die sometimes after landing from a jump and hitting the throttle. it just doesnt seem as responsive as it should be to me. at sea level. my buddy's stock 05 yfz 450 waxes it. I think there is something wrong here.

Diedrich
03-15-2006, 12:15 AM
i would say its the jetting...mine has ran perfect since the day i've had it..not had one single problem out of anything..guess i got lucky

Extreem
03-15-2006, 08:23 AM
Check the Air Mixture screw.....the reason I say this is I installed an HRC kit in my quad last week, started it up and had the exact same problems. Went better than stock but didn't want to rev out and kept stalling. It finally dawned on me the next day. I opened it up (in my case 2 1/2 turns- check with other to find the stock setting for an 06) and the thing RIPS ever since.

Either way it looks like the carb to some degree...

Good luck...

Jonas
03-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by leadfoot_52
Used to ride an 87 250x. I work at a motorcycle/snowmobile/atv shop, and it will cut out and die sometimes after landing from a jump and hitting the throttle. it just doesnt seem as responsive as it should be to me. at sea level. my buddy's stock 05 yfz 450 waxes it. I think there is something wrong here.

You don't need a "jet kit."

Your buddy on a stock '05 YFZ will stay at home, "wax" his legs, and join a convent as long as your quad is running correctly and you know how to ride.

Just answer all the questions asked and you will probably get things adjusted right and be "waxing" right back.

Does the quad idle good when warm?
What do you mean by it dies exactly?
When it "bogs out" on acceleration, do you roll on the throttle or snap it quickly?
Again, what elevation do you live at?
When landing from a jump are you possibly hitting the brake pedal on accident?
Have you adjusted the idle up a little yet?
This quad is very responsive when running and ridden correctly.

The more info the better.

Coolidge
03-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Thats sucks. Your right, for the dough ($) it should run right. Mine runs KILLER. Better than killer actually. No probs w/mine. My buddy has a 06 model too, and has no probs that I know of.
Good Luck w/yours

leadfoot_52
03-15-2006, 08:40 PM
I guarantee you that is has nothing to do with the way I ride. I just got it back from the dealer today, and it turns out, the Fing thing runs worse than when i took it there. I am Irate. It will run ok until you shut it off when it is warm. Then it will not start no matter what. even if you give it gas, choke it, etc. I happened to look at the end of my pipe and my plug and they are both whiter than a ghost, telling me it is running really lean. I asked the dealer for a jet kit for this, and they told me they have to talk to the Honda Rep. I have a few words for him tomorrow. As far as adjusting the air or fuel screw, i am not sure that this 06 has one. i havnt been able to locate it. does anyone know? I bought a brand new wheeler so I wouldnt have to deal with these problems, but i guess I was in the wrong doing by spending 6800 dollars. What do you guys think I should do? p.s. I am not spending any money on this damn thing to make it run right.

Coolidge
03-16-2006, 06:12 AM
....since the bike is only 2 weeks old, maybe the dealer could exchange the quad for another?

atvwdsrcer
03-16-2006, 06:48 AM
I have recently purchased an '06 E start and mine seems to be doing the same as yours. I have just turned up the idle to attempt for it to quit stalling so often. When it does stall it doesnt want to start up until 8 or more rotations (my 400ex started instantely) what gives? The throttle response is not up to what I had expected either. with my ex I'd burp the throttle at the lip of small jump and launch but if you snap the throttle on this it almost stalls. I know this is alot higher compression motor and I guess I need to ride it differently but I still want / need instant throttle response.
Jonas you seem like you may have some insight
It does idle good when warm. When it just dies , you come to a corner slow and are ready to go then nothing (back to hoping it will start quickly but doesnt). This is not the only place it happens and its not me doing something wrong, Ive had 2 others think it was me and the same thing happened to then . Very discouraging. It does ok when I roll on the throttle but when you snap it you get nothing but lag time. I could twist the throttle on my400ex any way I needed and would always get the same response( forward motion, not almost going over the bars from a dead spot). I will be riding it today to see if turnign the idle up has helped any . Any ideas how to get this to start faster?

Jonas
03-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by leadfoot_52
I guarantee you that is has nothing to do with the way I ride. I just got it back from the dealer today, and it turns out, the Fing thing runs worse than when i took it there. I am Irate. It will run ok until you shut it off when it is warm. Then it will not start no matter what. even if you give it gas, choke it, etc. I happened to look at the end of my pipe and my plug and they are both whiter than a ghost, telling me it is running really lean. I asked the dealer for a jet kit for this, and they told me they have to talk to the Honda Rep. I have a few words for him tomorrow. As far as adjusting the air or fuel screw, i am not sure that this 06 has one. i havnt been able to locate it. does anyone know? I bought a brand new wheeler so I wouldnt have to deal with these problems, but i guess I was in the wrong doing by spending 6800 dollars. What do you guys think I should do? p.s. I am not spending any money on this damn thing to make it run right.

I'm just trying to help you man, but people are not going to want to help you much if you are just complaining and not giving much information. Your talking on here like someone here sold you this quad. We are just trying to help. I am not saying your a bad rider, I'm just stating the that this in combination with a good running quad will put you ahead of your buddy for sure.

Jonas
03-16-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by atvwdsrcer
I have recently purchased an '06 E start and mine seems to be doing the same as yours. I have just turned up the idle to attempt for it to quit stalling so often. When it does stall it doesnt want to start up until 8 or more rotations (my 400ex started instantely) what gives? The throttle response is not up to what I had expected either. with my ex I'd burp the throttle at the lip of small jump and launch but if you snap the throttle on this it almost stalls. I know this is alot higher compression motor and I guess I need to ride it differently but I still want / need instant throttle response.
Jonas you seem like you may have some insight
It does idle good when warm. When it just dies , you come to a corner slow and are ready to go then nothing (back to hoping it will start quickly but doesnt). This is not the only place it happens and its not me doing something wrong, Ive had 2 others think it was me and the same thing happened to then . Very discouraging. It does ok when I roll on the throttle but when you snap it you get nothing but lag time. I could twist the throttle on my400ex any way I needed and would always get the same response( forward motion, not almost going over the bars from a dead spot). I will be riding it today to see if turnign the idle up has helped any . Any ideas how to get this to start faster?

If it idles good when warm you do not have to adjust your air/fuel screw. They make this screw tuff to get at and it is D shaped to make it tough to adjust so people don't mess with it.

Many people have been complaining about how the 450ER starts. Mine starts just perfect but I have never ridden it stock. Mine has a full exhaust, cam and other HRC matched mods. I have however, ridden about four others stock and two with just the HRC kit (all 2006's). Without having your quad here and riding it myself I have to make some assumptions here or ask alot of questions some of which might seem stupid but I have to ask.

First, and I am not saying that anybody is doing this, let me say that in stock form you can't touch the throttle when starting. The Throttle has a throttle position sensor (the wire that comes off of it) that goes to the carb and tells it if the throttle is open, this is a safety switch. (*side note* if it wasn't for lawyers and government regulations you would not have all this junk on your quad.)

I have to go to work and the kid is crying so try this first and let me know.

Turn up your idle a little and stay off the throttle when starting.

Also, with it being stock, you may have to smoothly push the throttle rather than snap it. This should not sacrifice horsepower though because when you snap it, you are giving it way more fuel than it needs. You will be able to snap it once you mod it.

People pay $500 to put this carb on their 04/05's for a reason, it rocks but is lean stock so the gov is happy. Also, they haven't put race carbs on quads in the past for a reason. They usually put these cheesie carbs on them like on your EX so they start wonderfully. I am not having you mod anything yet because you just bought it and if it is a more serious issue, which I doubt, then you can still take it to the dealer.

Don't do this yet, but here is a link to some insight into the future. Hope this helps for now.

www.hmfengineering.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1310

wile76
03-16-2006, 10:14 AM
It is your fuel screw you can fix it with a FCR fuel screw from your dealer of from C&D My 06 had the smae problem.. I jejetted it with a bigger pilot and a bigger jet turned the fuel screw 2 turns and starts right up hot and no more dead spot. I am at 2600ft or so and i am running a 165 and a 50 pilot.. no airbox lid and a LRD full system. You probly could run about the same with the stock end cap off.. Hope this helps.

BTW the fuel screw is in the front of the float bowl and you can barely see it it is easier to pluu the card to adjust. the cool thing about the screw from your dealer is it will be longer so you can adjust it. if not you need the HRC tool to adjust it and I think the FCR screw is better.

craftyex
03-16-2006, 10:26 AM
the quad will run better once it is broken in. try turning up the idle to help the stalling issues. sounds like you may need to try out different jets.

400eXr1d3rZ
03-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Coolidge
Thats sucks. Your right, for the dough ($) it should run right. Mine runs KILLER. Better than killer actually. No probs w/mine. My buddy has a 06 model too, and has no probs that I know of.
Good Luck w/yours

Serial Killer? :rolleyes:

atvwdsrcer
03-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Well I do have some good news. With the idle turned up a bit it is no longer stalling. (minus the periodical thumb slipping off the throttle , I miss my twist). I will be looking into some mods soon so thanks for all the info. Jonas thank you very much your info is very helpful. Part of the original problem was during brake in and I believe this quad hates being ridin' easy. Now that I can ride it like it wants to be ridin' we are getting along. ENJOY THE RIDE AND ALWAYS REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN!!! Thanks again!

yamablaster24
03-16-2006, 08:59 PM
mine does the same thing i turned up the ilde and let it warm up and ride smooth and i havent had a problem since. But if my brother gets on it the battery magicly dies and it stalls and wont start back up.

lumi
03-16-2006, 10:03 PM
my o6 e -start is running awesome not one problem or any type of hard staring.. biek is awesome e start is so much better than my banshee kick start.. i can imagine kicking over this 06 with 12:1 compression.:(

Jonas
03-16-2006, 10:44 PM
My 06 kicks over just a little harder than my xr100, not too difficult when there is a compression release built into the motor.

atvwdsrcer
03-18-2006, 06:01 AM
Don't get me wrong mine runs great. I don't really have a problem with it starting. It starts every time but I do have a problem with how long it takes to fire up. Since this is going to be used for harescrambles (local and some gncc) I need it to start immediately. I'm hoping that the info from Jonas will help me start instantely.