PDA

View Full Version : FLoating Quads

cosborne
03-14-2006, 06:36 PM
I live in the east part of Indiana. We have had some pretty heavy rain the last week. A couple friends and I decided to go play in the mud on Sunday. I was on my 400ex(yellow), brandon on his 400ex(red) and chad on his 250R(red,blue seat). We went to the place we always go. When we got to the woods, the lane was flooded. (In the pic. of the entire place, we were heading for the corner of the woods.) There were fields on each side and a lane in the middle. We decided to cross is. It wasn't to deep at the start. When we got to the middle it wasn't quite so deep, so we decided to tread on. We were getting to the end. Brandon was in front, then Chad, then me. Brandon got to a spot where it was getting deeper and the current started to pick up. Brandon made it to the other side, but Chad and I wasn't so fortunate. Chad stopped before I did with water up to the top of his muffler. I went to the left of Chad (got off the trail). It got really, but I kept going and the current got me. I kept turning in circles of about 30 feet in diameter and the front end kept wanting to float. It finally stopped and Chad and I were stuck about 40 feet from the corner of the woods. I had to get off my quad float it to the corner and then I went and got Chad. The rest of the woods was flooded so we decided to pull the quads back to the other side and then loaded up and left. I drained the oil and stripped the bike (all plastic, pulled off carb, removed air cleaner, and exhaust). Let it dry over night. The next night I added oil and put some of it back together. I couldn't get it to start. I tried for an hour and then finally got it to go. I was so nervous that the motor was going to lock up. I would have to say that this was one of the scariest times I have ever went riding. Here are a few pictures. (Sorry this is so long). Anyone else with sunk quad stories..

cosborne
03-14-2006, 06:37 PM
my four-wheeler under water.

cosborne
03-14-2006, 06:38 PM
My friend Chad. Just thought I had to share my story.

03-14-2006, 07:09 PM
that really really really sucks, did they start?

YFZ450Ridr
03-15-2006, 11:25 AM
that sucks big time, i bet almost all the bearings and bushings are close to being shot now from all the water.

400exrider99
03-15-2006, 02:15 PM
i have done that but not in as deep of water good thing the quad started

250-R-250
03-15-2006, 03:52 PM
Haha, you will laugh later. I would not worry about any chasis bearings, just coat them in some sort of oil. It takes alot more then one soak to mess them up.As long as you got your motor running, keep changing the oil several times.

400exrules
03-15-2006, 08:11 PM
dang that sucks

i was ridin this weekend and i went alittle too fast through a small mud hole on the trail and a huge wall of water just splashed up engulfing me and the whole front end of my quad, and it started sputtering a bit for a few secs, then it was fine. should i change my oil or is it ok? i wanna know because i have a race this weekend

cosborne
03-15-2006, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't think a mud puddle would cause a major problem. Check your oil to see if it is bubbly, watery, or real thin. You might want to change it if it is.

So far I have changed my oil 3 times and going on 4. I replaced the spark plug. It took forever to get it back started since I took off the carb and the fuel ran out of it. It finally started though. I don't know about Chad's 250R. I haven't talked to him. I think we will think twice before crossing things like that next time. All in all it was kind of fun looking back on it.

luvmyex
03-16-2006, 07:36 AM
looks like a lake to me:eek2:

bwamos
03-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Bah, I've had my 300/330 in water that deep many many many times. No problems with it ever. Just drag it out. Pour out the exhaust, drain the air box, and start her up, lol.

I've never once gotten water in my engine/oil from submerging it. Water won't pass through the oil in the K&N filter if its oiled properly. Just don't try to restart it submerged, and you'll be fine.

Of course other quads are probably more prone to sucking water into the engine (especially 2-strokes, since they dont have exhaust valves to keep the water out).

NCexRider
03-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by luvmyex
looks like a lake to me:eek2:

Me too.

Where are your helmets?

cosborne
03-18-2006, 04:54 PM
We took them off before we tried to cross.

Bobbo
03-19-2006, 09:02 AM
IMO you should have purchased a utility quad to do your mud riding lol

The one
03-19-2006, 03:42 PM
that same thing happened to my friend well told him to go though the mud ( i got stuck in it be like last summer) its like quick sand anyway he got most of the way though and it started to float it wasnt to warm out he had to get in the very cold water.

quadracer4000
03-19-2006, 06:15 PM
My neighbor did something really stupid. He drove his brute force 650(POS he beat on it badly) right into a pond. The thing floated out there for a bit because he had big ballon tires on it. He submerged the tail pipe under the water and revved the engine. The engine died and we all started laughing and making fun of him. We didn't have the video camera with us but i wish we did. We had to rip him out with several ropes and chains. After we got it out we dragged him home and drained everything. We had to take the carb apart and get rid of all the sand and dirt in it. If he does something like that again we WILL get it on tape and you will see it in the movie section.

--------------------
05' 400ex