PDA

View Full Version : High octane fuel & race fuel

KILLSWITCHngage
03-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Does higher octane fuel burn cooler? And can i run race fuel in my stock z400 for racing? or is modifications to the engine reccomended for race fuel? thanks

nakomis0
03-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Running high octane in a stock machine can actually make you run slower.

It doesn't have the compression and the fuel won't fully ignite. I've heard people say the unburnt fuel can burn a hole in your piston... I don't know about that one.

LTZ400rider
03-14-2006, 08:11 PM
dont waste your money, you can use premium if you want but dont buy race fuel for a stock motor. ur quad wont have cooling problems anyway

Tom TRX250R
03-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Running high octane gas in your quad is just throwing your money out the door, it will not help any with performance on a stock machine and there is no need for it. You are probably getting confused with running high compression which does increase power but race gas is needed for this.

chad cavagnaro
03-17-2006, 03:45 PM
derrick, is your ahscs #34 for 06 as well as last year? i am also in the ahscs series. # 11 i was wondering if i've met you yet?

zeppelin
03-17-2006, 04:06 PM
high octane fuel will not give you any more hp unless your motor is pinging with the fuel you are running now. oxygenated fuel however will give you more power. but i doubt it is really noticeable and you would probably be better off running pump gas

KILLSWITCHngage
03-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Chad , this is Jake O. Need to change my # to 103. I was 304 last year.

Big - D Racing
03-18-2006, 03:29 PM
no one is really ansewering your question, the answer is most race fuel is leaded and leaded fuel does having a cooling affect compared to unleaded. Now if you run unleaded race gas like vp ultimate 4 gas it will not help at all with cooling. Everyone is right though running race gas won't really help you quad. If you want you could run a mix of race fuel to pump maybe like 1/3 race to 2/3 pump and that would get some of those cooling properties of the race fuel in your motor. Without affecting your performance or killing your wallet. If you want to run race fuel the modification needed is a higher compression piston anything above 12:1 run straight race fuel 11:1 i'd say run 50/50 mix. Below 11:1 no real need for it.