PDA

View Full Version : '06 450R Questions

Kev450R
03-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to this site, and to the 450R, i just picked my '06 up last week. Haven't ridden it yet but I had a few questions, forgive me if these have already been answered many times before:

1) I've read that the battery can be a problem, I'm not going to be riding frequently (once a month or so for a weekend, the rest of the time it'll be a garage queen) so I picked-up a slow trickle charger/maintainer. Do I even need this? If so should I leave it plugged in whenever it's stored, or just for a few days before I know it will get ridden?

2) I didn't buy the extended warranty, but I still can if I want it. I'm comfortable working on most things myself (I re-build my own engines for my 250R's among other projects). Is the warrenty generally worth while or just pass on it?

3) I've read more about break-in the past few days then I ever wanted to; do most people use the "new" method of run the engine fairly hard as opposed to the more conventional "run it easy method"?

4) Where's a good place to get some skid plates? I do mostly desert riding and am concerned that the rocks will waste no time in scratching the under belly of my new quad.

I guess that's it (at least for now). Can't wait to get some seat time on the new ride, it looks like quite a machine! :

--Kevin

4ABURN
03-14-2006, 06:11 PM
1) I put my battery tender on mine if its going to sit for more than 2 weeks.

2)I didn,t get the extented. 6 months is good for me ( if not right from factory it will break in 6 months.)

3)This one is all over the place. In my opinion heat cycles are important and no full throttle for at least 3-4 heat cycles. then let her rip. change oil often.

4) do a search all over the place.

5) To many question in one thread (just kidding)

this is my 2 cents.

Lax
03-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Kev450R
Hi all,

I'm new to this site, and to the 450R, i just picked my '06 up last week. Haven't ridden it yet but I had a few questions, forgive me if these have already been answered many times before:

1) I've read that the battery can be a problem, I'm not going to be riding frequently (once a month or so for a weekend, the rest of the time it'll be a garage queen) so I picked-up a slow trickle charger/maintainer. Do I even need this? If so should I leave it plugged in whenever it's stored, or just for a few days before I know it will get ridden?

2) I didn't buy the extended warranty, but I still can if I want it. I'm comfortable working on most things myself (I re-build my own engines for my 250R's among other projects). Is the warrenty generally worth while or just pass on it?

3) I've read more about break-in the past few days then I ever wanted to; do most people use the "new" method of run the engine fairly hard as opposed to the more conventional "run it easy method"?

4) Where's a good place to get some skid plates? I do mostly desert riding and am concerned that the rocks will waste no time in scratching the under belly of my new quad.

I guess that's it (at least for now). Can't wait to get some seat time on the new ride, it looks like quite a machine! :

--Kevin

You are JUST like me when it comes to quads :) We both dont ride alot, and want it a garage queen.

I can answer a couple of questions.

The extended warrenty is mostly if you are going to ride it hard very often. For you, I dont think it would fit you. And I think right before the 6 months is over, you can order the extended from your dealer.

I want skid plates too, I just might have some made for me in school or order cheap ones. I would try Rockymountainatv.com

MossboysRacing
03-15-2006, 04:46 PM
i would reccomend PRM skids. they make great products with different thicknesses for your application. i run them on all my quads. never had any problems.:devil:

Kev450R
03-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the replies, this was just the info I was looking for! :)

--Kevin

fatkid400
03-22-2006, 02:42 PM
I'm still waiting on my skid from ac. Right now there the only company making skids for the '06 that is right. the drain plug is in a differnt place and nobody knows it yet.trust me its different.

03-22-2006, 02:51 PM
prm has them for the 06...i have seen them, sitting right beside a skid for the 04/05 models...i will be ordering one from them soon

GIXXER1KR
03-22-2006, 05:02 PM
I have the PRM on all my quads and love them!!!!!!Had to do a little grinding on 1 of the brackets on my 06 tho!!!I called them and said it never happen b4?????????????

fatkid400
03-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
prm has them for the 06...i have seen them, sitting right beside a skid for the 04/05 models...i will be ordering one from them soon

trust me prm's doesnt fit either. my buddy just took his back.

exboomer
03-25-2006, 07:49 AM
If you have a battery tender, you can leave it plugged in when your not riding and it won't overcharge your battery.

The extended warranty is not worth it in my opinion. If something is wrong it will probably fail during the first six months. If you take the quad in for a repair under the extended warranty, the dealer will probably tell you the problem is from abuse and not cover it. The extended warranty covers a manufactures defect or failure not rider abuse or something breaking from jumping or racing.

Run at least one full tank of gas and vary the throttle to break in.

PRM skidplates have worked great for me.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

Kev450R
03-25-2006, 08:54 AM
Sounds great, I'm planning on adding PRM skidplates first-thing. So where is the best place to order/buy them?

Thanks! :)

--Kevin

exboomer
03-25-2006, 09:21 AM
www.PRM.ATV.com

03-25-2006, 10:55 AM
ask lonestar_r about the prm fitting the new one...he has one on his 06 right now...

Purcell450r
03-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by exboomer
www.PRM.ATV.com

It's www.prm-atv.com for a correction

exboomer
03-25-2006, 05:27 PM
My mistake

quadfam4
03-25-2006, 07:28 PM
I agree with everything good said about PRM. Have PRM on every quad I own. No beating and pulling to get holes lined up, every thing has been spot on. And their stuff is beefy. Except for one part on an ltr 450 suzuki (I got their first production grab bar of this design. Suzuki's plastic need lots of support so the rear grab bar had a support on one side that was about a 1/4" off centering throught the plastic - redrilled it no problem.

fatkid400
03-27-2006, 03:54 PM
I'm not saying prm is a bad product i had 1 on my ex and never had any problems.It's just when i went to order my belly skid,ac was the only company making them correct for '06. I don't like the AC swinger skid that I got' it hangs down to low and I'm bottoming out(or atleast draggin') hard.