PDA

View Full Version : HeadGasket question

FoxMxRiders
03-14-2006, 05:20 PM
I will cleanup my head (valve,combustion chamber) and I was thinking about putting a xr400 headgasket.With this gasket,do you think that my compression ratio will be a little higher??

Here my mods :

motor : STOCK
Yosh SLipon
Uni filter
Openbox

I don't want to remplace my piston/rings because my motor don't take oil and already have 120psi.

Then do you thinkk that a xr400 headgasket will be a little more power??

Thanks

premiumtommy
03-14-2006, 06:17 PM
yes..

its a proven fact that a 400ex w/ a xr400 head gasket will have slightly higher compression

FoxMxRiders
03-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks alot!!

Do you have some cheap mods I can do :)

I have thinking about advance my timing and this without any flywheel key or rev box.Just with a special tips :D

Put a Xr400 head gasket to rise a little my compression ratio.

After that??

I don't want to put alot of money into it because I will sell it this fall for a 450 :devil:

underpowered
03-14-2006, 06:43 PM
you could take off the base gasket for another slight gain in compression

FoxMxRiders
03-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Which gasket do you recommend for the base??

JOEX
03-14-2006, 08:04 PM
Would raising the compression on a 5 year old piston and rings also increase the chance of blow-by? I know there can be many variables such as actual hours on the motor, how it has been maintained, other mods etc...

Any other thoughts on this?

F-16Guy
03-14-2006, 08:21 PM
If it has good compression and it's not burning oil, I think it will be fine. You're not disturbing the piston by taking the head off, so that shouldn't be a concern. You should think about also buying the XR400 cam. You can get it from Service Honda for pretty cheap, it comes ready to drop in with the decompression mechanism, and it will, very reliably, give you a nice boost along with the thinner head gasket. You already have all of the other "normal" mods, so you'll be able to take full advantage of what the cam has to offer.

F-16Guy
03-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by underpowered
you could take off the base gasket for another slight gain in compression
I wouldn't do that because you will change where the piston rides in the bore, and to do it properly, you would need to clean up the bore and install a new set of rings. If I were you, I wouldn't even mess with the cylinder; just leave it bolted down. Clean up the head, maybe have the valves lapped (or ground, if needed), and install the new XR gasket (and cam, if it were me).

premiumtommy
03-14-2006, 08:51 PM
i agree w f16

change only the head gasket and drop in that xr400 cam

you wont need to grind the cam or change rockers or valves

FoxMxRiders
03-15-2006, 01:28 PM
I don't want to buy a xr400 cam because im low money and I will sell the bike after the summer.

Just want a little more power with little goodies :p

premiumtommy
03-15-2006, 03:06 PM
well in that case i dont recommend anything you r planning to do with it.

y tear apart the top of the engine if you are gonna get rid of it in 6 months.

with what you plan on doing, you aren't going to see much power at all. just alittle better response from the throttle.

imho its not worth it. sell the quad now and waste your time and money on your next project..............