PDA

View Full Version : Wont idle

chewy03ex
03-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Hey all, was looking at some of the other posts about idle problems and I decided I needed a bit more in depth help here LOL. I know very little about this bike(its my brother in laws-im taking care of it for him for a couple years) its an 03 400 ex nothing is modded on it so far but it will not stay idling when i stop running, hot or cold it wont idle unless the choke is turned all the way to the up position. when i turn the choke handle to the halfway down position it struggles to idle and when its all the way down it wont idle at all. it sputters a bit when i decelerate but not too noticeable. what i really need to know is where do i find the idle screw on this bike, and the jet screw and which way should i turn each to try and get this bad boy going steady? i have not cleaned the carb yet, what cleaner would you reccomend to use if that is all thats needed?

thank you for your time folks :)

chewy

GPracer2500
03-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Sounds like a clogged pilot circuit.

Remove the carb, disassemble, soak the jets in carburator cleaner, spray carburator cleaner (any brand will do) in every hole/orifice/surface, and blow out all the holes/orifices with compressed air.

If you've never taken a carb apart before, take your time, use quality and correctly sized screw drivers (the screw heads strip easily), and do it in a clean and organized work area. Having a service manual handy can be helpful the first time you do it.

Here's a (somewhat poor resolution) diagram of an 99'-04' 400EX carb:

http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex%2099-04/carburetor.jpg

Be aware that you usually don't need to dissassemble every last thing for proper cleaning--most of it but not quite everything.

chewy03ex
03-14-2006, 04:48 PM
yeah i have never taken apart a carb before but i have a friend that can give me a hand with that. before i do take it apart though, since i havent played with the fuel/air mix at all do you think that i should attempt to correct it that way first or jump straight into the carb destruction....err cleaning LOL :P

GPracer2500
03-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by chewy03ex
yeah i have never taken apart a carb before but i have a friend that can give me a hand with that. before i do take it apart though, since i havent played with the fuel/air mix at all do you think that i should attempt to correct it that way first or jump straight into the carb destruction....err cleaning LOL :P

You can try. It's hard to reach while the carb is on the bike without a 90 degree screwdriver. The best way (the only way, really) to set the fuel mixture screw (#6 in the diagram) is while the bike is running. Also, make sure that the idle screw (#11, also known as the throttle stop screw) isn't simply turned down/out too low.

Unless someone has been monkeying with the fuel screw and has it turned in or out WAY too far, I doubt that will fix your problem. Stock setting for the fuel screw is 2 1/2 turns out from full in (lightly seated). Set the fuel screw to that and if it still doesn't idle without the choke then clean the carb.

Hope that helps.

chewy03ex
03-15-2006, 07:48 AM
definitely, i pulled the carb and pulled up an electronic manual for the carb seems to be pretty easy all in all, ill let you know how it goes :)

03-15-2006, 07:57 AM
i would try to find the idle screw first its easy to find its silver and it has grooves where you could turn it by hand but then it has a groove in the face of it for your flat head screw driver to turn it. to turn the idle up just twist it to the right a little ......but if that don't help rip the carb out and do wat that other dude said.....peace.