PDA

View Full Version : Digital SLR in the St. Anthony Dunes?

thomps6s
03-14-2006, 10:43 AM
I just purchased a new Digital SLR camera and want to bring it to St. Anthony this year, but am a little afraid of damaging it with sand. Has anyone here brought one out to the Dunes?
I have a proitective case and am only worried about getting sand in it while shooting.

I took my point and shoot digicam last year and got some sand in the shutter but igot it out and still works good.

Just looking for different experiences and suggestions.

PismoLocal
03-14-2006, 03:25 PM
I have ruined 2 digital video cameras out at the dunes. They were never dropped and were always put in there case immediately after i used them but the wind blew sand into them and they were destroyed.

z400roosteR
03-14-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
I have ruined 2 digital video cameras out at the dunes. They were never dropped and were always put in there case immediately after i used them but the wind blew sand into them and they were destroyed.
That's not what i want to hear! i finally bought a digi and can't wait to take it to the dunes next week.

thomps6s
03-15-2006, 06:49 AM
Just try to keep it in the case when it is windy and you should be okay. I didn't exactly use the best judgement last year.
I keep mine in a lowepro brand case and I have a BELL bike bag strapped to the frame just above the bumper and I never got sand in the case.

PismoLocal
03-15-2006, 10:57 AM
If its really windy and the sand is picking up off the ground just try and use your camera for short periods of time. If there is no wind then just dont drop it you should be fine. Video cameras usually braek a lot easier out in the dunes because sand gets caught up in all the tiny gears but with a digital camera you should be safer.

Tom TRX250R
03-15-2006, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't recommend bringing a digital camera to the dunes, I have seen a few people ruin their cameras from getting sand in every little part in it. I always just use disposable cameras, that way if sand gets in it, its only a $9 loss instead of $350.

OKTRX450R
03-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Hmm...guess everyone is different. We take our digital movie camera and picture camera into the dunes...we purchased them both from BestBuy and purchased the extended warranties with them that include free cleanings. After every few trips to the dunes we take the cameras in and have them cleaned...usually 2 day turn around. Movie cam is 1 year old and pic cam is 3...still going strong.

I carry both of them in their own cases and just for fun I put them in a gallon size zip loc bag when in the cases...

JOEX
03-15-2006, 08:04 PM
I don't have a SLR but my digital point and shoot is full of sand. When it's turned on and the lens moves out I can hear the sand crunching and grinding:ermm: Still works great though:p

Sandgod4
03-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Put them in a zip lock bag. Never ever take camera gear out when the wind is blowing.. That's common sence..

z400roosteR
03-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
I don't have a SLR but my digital point and shoot is full of sand. When it's turned on and the lens moves out I can hear the sand crunching and grinding:ermm: Still works great though:p
LoL:D

What's the difference between a point and shoot and a SLR? Does the SLR have the different lenses? I have a point and shoot....

And the reason i would chance taking my digi out there over a disposable is the quality. Those damn digi's can freeze that roost in mid air and you can see like every little piece of sand.....IT's crazy.

JOEX
03-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by z400roosteR
LoL:D

What's the difference between a point and shoot and a SLR? Does the SLR have the different lenses? I have a point and shoot....

And the reason i would chance taking my digi out there over a disposable is the quality. Those damn digi's can freeze that roost in mid air and you can see like every little piece of sand.....IT's crazy.
I don't remember the correct definition of an SLR but basically it the ones that have interchangable lenses, at least thats how I describe them:p

I use a Kodak EasyShare cx6330, great camera for the price:) It's been abused a bit:p Dropped it about 2 1/2 feet on a hard floor once, it quit working but I took it apart and put it back together and worked, still using it......:eek2:

QuadJunkies
03-19-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Sandgod4
Put them in a zip lock bag. Never ever take camera gear out when the wind is blowing.. That's common sence..

Thats what I do but also be careful of moisture that may built in the bag. Dont leave it in the bag for rally long periods of time.

I lost a Camera last year from Sand. Make sure and get a GOOD WARRENTY that will warrenty this. I was told that mine would over this ,I just hope I never have to find out ! :scary:

I will be taking out my new Canon Rebel XT 8 pix this year to the dunes and yes... they do take AWESOME action shots! :cool:

SandShark400
03-24-2006, 07:51 PM
canon 10d rocks

thomps6s
03-25-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by SandShark400
canon 10d rocks

My friend has a 10d, it is very sweet. I just picked up a Pentax *ist DL. It takes very clear pictures. Great bang for the buck, it was only $519 with a 18-55 f/3.5 lens