PDA

View Full Version : which hot cam?

stalefish_132
03-13-2006, 11:36 PM
i'm thinking of getting a differant cam for my 440EX. its bored to 87mm and stroked to 74mm. right now i'm running a XR400 camshaft and i was looking at hotcams and thinking which would be best?
engine mods
bore & stroke(as said above)
ported & polished
XR cam
FCR 39mm
and full exhaust

i was looking at the stage 3 which they say is for big bores/ strokers. i want to keep my bottom power but i feel the XR cam lacks mid/top end power.
would a stage 2 be better?
i'm pretty open to other cams as long as its drop in. i don't want to have to do hard faced rockers and HD valve springs.

thanks
Jordan Lepp

6858-400ex
03-14-2006, 05:17 AM
my vote is for the stage 2 because they recomend if ur bore is really big then dont use stage 1

jsmith2232
03-14-2006, 06:42 AM
You could choose either the stage I or the II depending on the riding you do. they don't reccomend a stage I for a bore any larger than a 426 but 87 mm is a 416 so you should be ok with either. I am getting mine bored this week and will have it back this weekend with a je 10.8, hotcam stage I and 87mm bore so i'll let you know how it feels after i ride it this weekend.

underpowered
03-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by jsmith2232
You could choose either the stage I or the II depending on the riding you do. they don't reccomend a stage I for a bore any larger than a 426 but 87 mm is a 416 so you should be ok with either. I am getting mine bored this week and will have it back this weekend with a je 10.8, hotcam stage I and 87mm bore so i'll let you know how it feels after i ride it this weekend.

that is great and all, but if you read, he also is stroked. my buddy just changed from an old stage 2 to the new stage 3 hotcam in his 460 stroker. he lost some bottom end by changing, but the stroker has enough extra torque on the bottom to make up for this. he gained alot on top and it pulls from idle to rev limit. he loves it, but i now have the old stage 2 on my 426 and love it too. it has more bottom than the stage 3 but not quite as much on top. i am not sure about the new stage 2, but i would say go with the stage 3 unless you can come across an old stage 2 cam.

stalefish_132
03-14-2006, 05:52 PM
thanks for the replays, we will see if i have any $$ left over after i get all my parts on her. if i do i think i'd go with a stage 3. with the stroker it has so much bottom end power that it seems like there is very little on top so thanks for the info.

thanks
Jordan Lepp