PDA

View Full Version : 06 front shocks(STIFF!!!!!!!)

GIXXER1KR
03-13-2006, 10:25 PM
I just orderd the Burgard +2 A Arms and am wondering how the stock 06 Shocks will be seeing they are way too stiff!!I weigh 175 and do trail and some MX or i guess recreational riding!!!I know the right way to do it is get the GT Thunder rebuild but for the time being im curious!!!

YFZ450Ridr
03-13-2006, 10:46 PM
well since the a arm is going to be longer, it will have more leverage on the shocks, making them compress easier and be softer.

03-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by LTZ400ridr
well since the a arm is going to be longer, it will have more leverage on the shocks, making them compress easier and be softer.

yeah. they actuly might end up being to soft

Toadz400
03-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by kitty
yeah. they actuly might end up being to soft

Actually I guarantee they will be soft after adding +2 arms. I had a set of Works shocks that were way too stiff (set up for someone who weighed about 60 more pounds than me) and when I put them on +2 arms they felt like they were valved for a 10 lb newborn. When you get the arms you can try it out, but I'd highly recommend getting them revalved or getting new shocks because the handling will be so much better.

400eXr1d3rZ
03-14-2006, 08:59 PM
is there anyway to make the stock front shock softer without getting new a-arms?

Toadz400
03-14-2006, 09:05 PM
Did your quad come with a shock adjusting tool? Don't know what it's called but it's so you can loosen up the springs I believe...I'm not sure, I'm not a suspension guru but I know that's one way of softening up the suspension. Then there is always getting them revalved.

400eXr1d3rZ
03-14-2006, 09:20 PM
if your talking to me, i have a 400ex

03-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
if your talking to me, i have a 400ex

only way to do that is if you set the pre load on the lowest setting. then it will feel slightly softer. wheel spacers do that too. my friend ran a 100% stock 400ex with the shocks soft as they go and never bottomed out on his table top. well i would hit it and i ran spacers and stock shocks with the pre load as tall as it would go and i would bottom out. so spacers must make the front softer like a-arms too.

quad2xtreme
03-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by kitty
only way to do that is if you set the pre load on the lowest setting. then it will feel slightly softer. wheel spacers do that too. my friend ran a 100% stock 400ex with the shocks soft as they go and never bottomed out on his table top. well i would hit it and i ran spacers and stock shocks with the pre load as tall as it would go and i would bottom out. so spacers must make the front softer like a-arms too.

Wheel spaces will not make your shocks feel softer. You could put wheel spacers on that are 10' wide and it wouldn't make a difference on your shocks. Of course the pressure on the bearings would increase significantly.

/Jon

Over-land 450r
03-15-2006, 06:53 PM
how woiuldnt whell spacers not make the suspenion softer?? You could get the works ZPs triple rate spring setup for wat you ride andd style foe $200 i ride mx with just them and plus 2s and cant complain.

Cody_300ex
03-15-2006, 06:59 PM
450r Shocks are fully adj. Turn the compression down.

quad2xtreme
03-15-2006, 06:59 PM
The amount of wheel travel required to move the shock 3" in travel is exactly the same whether you have no wheel spacers or 10' wheel spacers. Due to the dual -arm setup, it is not a lever.

Over-land 450r
03-15-2006, 07:03 PM
but if you buy +2s the shock mount is is in the same place. and the wheel would be as far out if u had +2 aarms or wheel spacers?

quad2xtreme
03-15-2006, 07:12 PM
There is a lever at play in the scenario of comparing a-arms; however, the lever ends at the balljoint. The significance in the case of +2 a-arms with the shock mount in the same location is the added distance between the shock mount location and the balljoint in the +2 a-arms versus the stock a-arms. This is where the added leverage comes from. The reason is that +2 a-arms travel more distance than stock a-arms given the same amount of compression of the spring. Let's say a stock a-arm must move 2" to compress the spring 1". A +2 a-arm would need to travel say 2.5" to compress the spring that same 1".

If you kept the stock a-arms but added 10' wheel spacers, the wheel would still only move 2" to compress the spring 1". However, it will put an incredible amount of force on the bearings.

/Jon

Over-land 450r
03-16-2006, 04:24 PM
ok thanks im kinda starting to get it
rob

03-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
There is a lever at play in the scenario of comparing a-arms; however, the lever ends at the balljoint. The significance in the case of +2 a-arms with the shock mount in the same location is the added distance between the shock mount location and the balljoint in the +2 a-arms versus the stock a-arms. This is where the added leverage comes from. The reason is that +2 a-arms travel more distance than stock a-arms given the same amount of compression of the spring. Let's say a stock a-arm must move 2" to compress the spring 1". A +2 a-arm would need to travel say 2.5" to compress the spring that same 1".

If you kept the stock a-arms but added 10' wheel spacers, the wheel would still only move 2" to compress the spring 1". However, it will put an incredible amount of force on the bearings.

/Jon

good explaination :macho

orangeEX
03-18-2006, 03:58 AM
You guys don't really trust this explanation do you !???
lol!
If so i got some ocean front property in arizona,,,,

the leverage ends at the point the tire touches the ground...
i don't have to give you a "BS" explanation because i've used
spacers , flipped rims, and extended a'arms...any lengthening of your front or rear will result in softer shocks unless you revalve.
and if it doesn't make sense to you ,you really shouldn't be tampering with suspension...

quad2xtreme
03-18-2006, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by orangeEX
You guys don't really trust this explanation do you !???
lol!
If so i got some ocean front property in arizona,,,,

the leverage ends at the point the tire touches the ground...
i don't have to give you a "BS" explanation because i've used
spacers , flipped rims, and extended a'arms...any lengthening of your front or rear will result in softer shocks unless you revalve.
and if it doesn't make sense to you ,you really shouldn't be tampering with suspension...

What kind of bet you willing to make? You can pretty much pick the limit. We can let any well known mechanical engineer come to a conclusion.

/Jon

quad2xtreme
03-18-2006, 05:01 AM
Before you bet the farm, study this diagram and see if it helps.

Work = Force X Distance. To make that spring compress further, you must get the distance to increase. Changing wheel offset or adding spacers doesn't do this. The 10 foot pole is meant to show what would happen if you added 10' wide wheel spacers and then mounted your wheels.

You are getting confused about leverage with a single a-arm setup and what happens when you have a 2nd a-arm specifically designed to keep the spindle level at all times thus ending the the lever at the balljoint.

/Jon

quad2xtreme
03-18-2006, 06:16 AM
A side note about Work = Force X Distance

In any repetition based competition, taller people are at a disadvantage. For example, you and your buddy are performing bench presses using 100 lbs. The taller guy is at a disadvantage because he has to move the weight further to count a rep. Same for push ups, sit ups, pull ups.

For every rep, a taller person has accomplished more work as result of covering a larger distance.

03-18-2006, 08:42 AM
great explanation, nice diagrams also, if anyone doesnt agree with this statement, i second it, he is providing correct info

like he said with a single a-arm that would be correct, but when you have the other a-arm comming over from the top it keeps the spindle level at all times, which means with wheel spacers, flipped rims, or whatever else, it doesnt matter, it is according to where ever you locate the spindle at, which is why +2 a-arms would create softer shocks, it sends the spindle farther out

quad2xtreme
03-18-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
great explanation, nice diagrams also, if anyone doesnt agree with this statement, i second it, he is providing correct info

like he said with a single a-arm that would be correct, but when you have the other a-arm comming over from the top it keeps the spindle level at all times, which means with wheel spacers, flipped rims, or whatever else, it doesnt matter, it is according to where ever you locate the spindle at, which is why +2 a-arms would create softer shocks, it sends the spindle farther out

Thanks. I borrowed the diagrams from another website...thanks to a user named Gabe who did the mods in green in the diagrams.

orangeEX
03-18-2006, 08:00 PM
So what your trying to convince me is that i could flip my rims and use 5" wheel spacers and my shocks would be no softer?!!!

03-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by orangeEX
So what your trying to convince me is that i could flip my rims and use 5" wheel spacers and my shocks would be no softer?!!!

yes, because your not sending the spindle any farther out

quad2xtreme
03-19-2006, 04:49 AM
Although not exactly the same, it is like when you use a torque wrench, it doesn't matter if you put the socket right on the torque wrench or use a 10' extension.

Adding wheel spaces does 3 things:

1) Makes your quad wider
2) Increases the pressure on your bearings
3) Increases the pressure on your upper a-arms. These are what are essentially taking the beating to keep that lever from extending out past the balljoint where the spindle mounts.

/Jon