PDA

View Full Version : 1993 300 ex electrical problems

ammot23
03-13-2006, 08:42 PM
was riding sat pm, pretty wet ,bike ran fine shut bike off,tuned key on, lights worked ,turn key off waited another minute wasnt readt to leave,turn key on nothingat all,got power to key,can jump solenoid to roll engine ,no spark, no lights,fuse is good,checked ground to frame appears to be good ,dont know about cdi or reverse regulator would any of those be a problem any input would be appreciated

2muchquad
03-13-2006, 09:27 PM
try the connection from the key to the wiring harness.if you arent getting anything that could be the culprit.make sure all of your wires are making a good connection.

ammot23
03-14-2006, 06:11 AM
I UN PLUGGED SWITCH CHECKED FOR VOLTAGE HAD VOLTAGE ,BYPASSED SWITCH STILL NOTHING,ANY OTHER IDEAS THANKS

bwamos
03-14-2006, 08:01 AM
If it's not even trying to turn over:

1) Make sure your reverse level isn't pulled up.

2) Put it in neutral. Try again. Sometimes one of the switches will act goofy and wont let you start it in gear with the clutch level pulled in. (below is one of them).

3) Make sure the screw that holds your clutch lever to the perch isn't backing out. If it does, the clutch sensor switch won't work right and it wont let you start the engine.

4) Make sure your start button is closing the circuit when you push it in.

ammot23
03-14-2006, 08:48 AM
BUT I SHOULD STILL HAVE POWER TO THE INDICATOR LIGHTS,[NEUTRAL LIGHT, REVERSE LIGHT,HEAD LIGHT] I DONT HAVE ANY POWER TO ANY THING BUT I CAN JUMP SLOENOID TO ROLL ENGINE WITH NO SPARK, ICAN BYPASS KEY WITH 12V GOING THROUGH THE BLK &RED BY JUST SPLICING TOGETHER STILL NO POWER TO ANYTHING, WHAT DOES THE CDI UNIT EXACTLY DO ?

zeppelin
03-14-2006, 02:22 PM
im not trying to insult you or anything but are you sure the kill switch on the left side of you handle bars in "on", i have over looked this problem many times, and nearly tore the bike completely apart before i realized what was wrong. :p

Rich250RRacer
03-14-2006, 07:27 PM
I had a customer bring me a 300EX with an electrical problem similar to yours and it was a nightmare. I went through the electrical system repeatedly, and finally found corrosion in the plugs on the main harness at the CDI, and at the large connector that the handlebar switch plugs into. I ended up replacing both the switch and the main harness. A little expensive, but it fixed the problem.

ammot23
03-16-2006, 05:54 AM
THANKS THREE NIGHTS LATER IT WAS THE EXACT PROBLEM CORROSION IN BIG PLUG UNDERNEITH HANDLE BARS WASNT MUCH JUST A LITTLE BIT ON ONE SPADE SHOULD OF TOOK IT APART INSTEAD OF JUST TRYING TO WIGGLE IT, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. PS NEED WHEEL BEARINGS NOW WHOSE GOT BEST PRICE

kbass24emtp
03-16-2006, 10:36 AM
www.servicehonda.com