PDA

View Full Version : White Plug!

z400clone
03-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Guys, the yoshi RS-5 with airbox lid off, CB, and the butt plug pulled out equals a white plug. I did a full throttle run and rolled in. WHITE PLUG. I did a mid range play around and rolled in... WHITE! All the way down in the plug. Wish I had my dang camera with me, but I was at another guy's house.

Shouldn't change were ya live... it adjusts for temps, barametric pressure, etc so all should be the same..........

Just coming back with a report.

Oh and the plastics and tank are a whore to get off. I'm not looking forward to testing and tuning.... I need an a/f ratio realtime meter. My cannondale buddy and I are talking about going in on a $600 one with a vacuum pump and exhaust probe. Digging for the plug is NOT cool.

On a good note, my buddy and I raced a few times and I was easily walking away from his piped and remapped C'dale(it's a runner), so I was fairly happy with it's performance...so darn snappy with the RS-5 on!!

ltrracer
03-13-2006, 09:16 PM
:confused:?White Plug?:confused:

AceLtz
03-13-2006, 09:22 PM
white plug means running way too lean. So people with the pipes and just the CB your probably lean. Yoshimura may tell you that its ok but its not. Im going to be waiting for the controller before i run it open.

bwamos
03-14-2006, 08:16 AM
Aye, you need the EMS Cube for the Yosh pipe map.

AceLtz
03-14-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Aye, you need the EMS Cube for the Yosh pipe map.

Yes you do. what really gets me mad though is yoshimura is telling everyone that the CB will be fine with the pipe, they even told me i could add an intake if i wanted :eek2: wait for the PIMs to come out before running your pipes, they should be out soon.

Eric_Winkworth
03-14-2006, 12:24 PM
You need to richen up your carb, I like the idea of a pyro on my two stroke sleds then you can tune them so they get optimum performance, your plug should be golden brown, changed are your EGT's are through the roof, don't run her like that!

AceLtz
03-14-2006, 03:46 PM
the ltr doesnt have a carb, its FI. thats why we cant run pipes yet.

LTZ400ApK
03-14-2006, 04:08 PM
you can get a a/f meter for around 200 bucks at you local speed shop only thing is you gotta weld a bung in your pipe for the sensor,on a good note the meter clamps on your bars and is small

z400clone
03-14-2006, 06:00 PM
I'll just richen my carb up... that should fix it....LOL:p

And I won't be welding a bung in either. I'll just spend the coin on a real meter with a probe.

I didn't spend much time on it like this and I'm glad I looked at the plug. I didn't post this to get lectured on not running it like this.... I posted to inform folks that didn't want to spend the time to take your plugs out

spudss
03-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by z400clone
I'll just richen my carb up... that should fix it....LOL:p

And I won't be welding a bung in either. I'll just spend the coin on a real meter with a probe.

I didn't spend much time on it like this and I'm glad I looked at the plug. I didn't post this to get lectured on not running it like this.... I posted to inform folks that didn't want to spend the time to take your plugs out

Well I will say it..THANKS..
If you hadnt have posted it most would have never known or took the time to check....

The post was very informative to most..

Thanks again

AL Elks
03-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Found this while searching for a wideband AF sensor:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/lm101.php

This is a link to the videos. You can click on links to the actual product.

benbuilt4u
03-14-2006, 07:08 PM
and my picture of what your yoshi looks like while its making the white plug.

heres a pic after 2 minutes of idling sorry its blurry i had to use high speed picture to capture it.

http://www.europartsinc.com/images/honda/redhot.jpg

LTZ400ApK
03-14-2006, 07:36 PM
They all do that Stock or modded just like the YFZ

AL Elks
03-14-2006, 08:11 PM
No they don't. That's pretty lean right there. MY modded Z doesn't do it and it's highly modded with a Yoshi.

Speed_MDS2
03-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Mine is totaly stock and doesn't glow, and it says right on Yoshi's paperwork with their pipe that if it glows its way to lean and needs to be fixed ASAP. I've seen bikes with glowing headers run for years and others that lasted weeks. There's a fine line between "lean is mean" and a big hole in your piston, and its not worth walkin on that line IMO. Thanks for the warning clone, thats why my pipes still sitting on my bench waiting for the EMS to show up, what the hells taking yosh so long to get these out.:mad:

LTZ400ApK
03-14-2006, 08:18 PM
I have a ltz w/470 and nothing Stock it doesnt Do it either But the Ltr,and the YFZ do it in Stock trim if you'd like ill post pics of my ltr and my buddy's YFZ both doing it and the plugs in both are both the golden brown Like their suppost to be

armoks
03-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by AL Elks
Found this while searching for a wideband AF sensor:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/lm101.php

This is a link to the videos. You can click on links to the actual product.

I have an Innovate LM1, Very nice product. very accurate!

AL Elks
03-15-2006, 10:41 AM
That's good to know.

Are you using a bung or are you using the exhaust tip adaptor to get your readings?

motox450r
03-15-2006, 01:48 PM
i'm seriously NOT trying to make anyone mad. but! i thought what was so great about this machine was that ya didn't have to dump a bunch of money it. "mx speaking." i'll stick with my word. i said from the start i would have to stick cash into one if i was to buy one. but most others were acting like it was so great stock, which it is a great stock mx bike. i apologize for not speaking on the topic of this thread too.

armoks
03-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by AL Elks
That's good to know.

Are you using a bung or are you using the exhaust tip adaptor to get your readings?

well on my dales I had the bung put into the exhausts. I also have the adaptor to clamp on but it needs and extention to reach way down inside to get a good reading. either way it gives good readings. I'm going to have to put a bung in the LT's exaust when i get it and the programer.

benbuilt4u
03-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by motox450r
i'm seriously NOT trying to make anyone mad. but! i thought what was so great about this machine was that ya didn't have to dump a bunch of money it. "mx speaking." i'll stick with my word. i said from the start i would have to stick cash into one if i was to buy one. but most others were acting like it was so great stock, which it is a great stock mx bike. i apologize for not speaking on the topic of this thread too.

fact is for 40 dollars for a CB. itll wax a 450r or yfz. keep in mind these white plugs are from us installing aftermarket exhaust. not making them simply race ready. the fuel injection is not as smart as a 30k sports car but delivers unbelivably smooth power from bottom to top. so it needs a tune to compensate so does almost every other fuel injected vehicle in the worls when some major part is replaced with another one.

your 450r is no better then our ltr's we just have more possibilities with the FI

motox450r
03-15-2006, 08:42 PM
did i say mine was better. i didn't think so!! i don't think it will wax, but we will find out.

z400clone
03-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Please quit the bickering........ ALL of the '06 450 bikes are fast. Not one will wax any of the others with equal mods. Everyone gets their feathers ruffled over a new quad.... it's just something different.

Ridin' Jesse
03-16-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by z400clone
Please quit the bickering........ ALL of the '06 450 bikes are fast. Not one will wax any of the others with equal mods. Everyone gets their feathers ruffled over a new quad.... it's just something different.

Agreed. Just want to say...for the millionth time... 80% Rider 20% Quad.

motox450r
03-16-2006, 08:39 PM
anybody with a brain understands what you are saying jesse. that's why i could careless who's is faster. i wasn't trying to say mine was faster. somebody else was putting words in my mouth. i have nothing aggainst the ltr. i sure wouldn't be contimplating buying one if i did. i was just commenting on the people that were spending money on theirs. as far as waxing i'm sure i will wax and get waxed. lol. no biggie!

AceLtz
03-18-2006, 05:05 PM
I just checked my plug and its not white at all. i have a yoshimura rs-5 and the CB. It seems that its fine for me but it may be too lean depending where you live. take a look, nice and brown.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b292/aceaspades909/IMG_8829.jpg

spudss
03-18-2006, 05:48 PM
what elevation are you at??in cali..

z400clone
03-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by spudss
what elevation are you at??in cali.. I aim ace so I know.....

he's at approx 1000 ft.... I'm at approx 900ft no difference....

He runs 91 octane... I ran 91 octane.....

hmmmmmmm... he's ran his for hours though..

I've only got an hour on mine with this combo or so.......

jfarrar30
03-18-2006, 08:09 PM
did a plug check on mine today.temps in the upper 30's and was a light brown.ill snap a pic tomorrow.i put in a new plug so i could show a friend this one.only time i got a whiter plug is at an idle and i havent did one where i am really ringing it out but i believe it to be a tad lean up near the limiterbut verywhere inbetween looks good

z400clone
03-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Can you post your mods please?

EDIT: searched another site and it appears you have the CB, lid off, RS-5 with the baffle out.. yes or no... you stated yours was lean with the baffle out. Is that still true?

jfarrar30
03-19-2006, 07:15 AM
i have lid off rs5 pipe baffle removed and cherry bomb.when i first installed the pipe my header would glow wich lead me to believe it was way lean although it showed no signs wile runing like no popping or hesitations anything.if i pull my plug after letting it idle it is white.so i pulled the pipe and called yosh and they insisted it was ok and that all there pipes glow and if it was lean at an idle just try not to let it idle if i was gonna run the pipe.so i decided to throw it back on for round 2.took it over a friends house and did a few wot runs and pulled the plug and it checked out ok.i believe it to be lean at an idle to about an 1/8th throttle.if i go over a jump and stay on the throttle at about an 1/8 th and let of sometimes it will let out a small pop.i also think it could use a little more fuel way up top. i have an ems on order and will be adding more fuel to the bottom and top and maybe a little more all through.all depends on how there map compensates i guess.

Baracudaaa
03-21-2006, 08:16 AM
I work right next to the Yoshi West Coast HQ and I run into their people quite a bit locally at lunch time. They have all said you MUST run a MINIMUM 50%/50% race fuel with the C/B or you WILL run lean. I bought my C/B from their warehouse and the guys there all said the same thing. If you read any of the adds for the C/B it even says 'with race fuel'. I dont know how many people are actually doing that.
Also, for EFI units, there is an alternative to the Yoshi. Trinity Racing out here in So-Cal has a killer EFI unit($299 retail). They are claiming +15 hp with their pipe and efi unit, i am seriously thinking about it.
The good thing about Yoshi is that they were involved from the start in devolopement with Suzuki, so i really think they know the ins and outs on this bike the best, making my Trinity/Yoshi decision very tough!

AceLtz
03-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Race gas will not make the engine run richer and this has become a big topic at ltr central. It will make it run a little cooler but richer, no. If you check out the same topic "white plug" at the central you can read all the stuff thats been talked about

Baracudaaa
03-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Just tellin ya what 'they' said.
Have you been over to Elsinore MX track yet? I was out there sunday, the r450 is a popular bike there.

jfarrar30
03-21-2006, 06:18 PM
here is my plug.when i first installed the sytem one of the things i forgot about was the fuel i was using was oxygenated.making me lean.didnt really think much of it till i seen the post for the oxy fuel killing fuel systems and was like hey idiot you have that in there.lol.but anyway this is what it looks like after a wot run in 4th gear (not quite to the rev limiter) running on a 50/50 mix of 93 and c12.full yosh lid off.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e293/jfarrar30/000_0256.jpg