PDA

View Full Version : Grades

Rico400
03-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Hey for all you people in collage what kinda grades did u have to get in? and what extra things did u do that helped you get in? ex. internships, leadership, office aids? im a sophmore in HS and just wondering if i even have a chance at getting in. lol

freshmen i slacked off alot, and now im doing good so my GPA right now is only like 3.25. is this decent or what for collage. i would like to go to a university, nothing wrong with community collages, its just i would rather get a diploma from a university and live the collage life. lol

also if anyone knows, what kinda of degrees would i need to get to like design things for dirtbikes/atvs... like exhuast systems, or being on the design team to build the new hottest models of dirtbikes and stuff.... i know it probably sounds lame but i would really like to be doing that someday. i dont wanna be someone that hates there job.

stocktires
03-13-2006, 09:44 PM
well, not to make you slack off even more, but I got a 1.9 GPA and got into a university. Around here ACT scores are everything and I got a 21 (decent).
I'm in my second semester now. First semester I got a 3.2 and pledged a fraternity, and this semester I'll get a 3.8 or 4.0
I'm not sure what degree you would go for to do that, maybe some type of engineer?

Titanium
03-13-2006, 09:49 PM
All i kno is that u don't really have to worry about grades until ur a junior and senior in highschool.

antman
03-13-2006, 11:07 PM
i know what you are talking about... all i did my freshman and most of my sofmore yeart year is slack off and get in trouble and i am really regretting it as a junior because i am now busting my @ss so that i will have a change to get into a good college.

as for internships go it helps to know someone . i am getting one with my dad this summer. if you dont know anyone i think there is a search you can do to find some in your area at collegeboard.com...

as for atv/dirtbike related schooling, if you plan on going to a 4 year college you might want to look ing some kind of engineering. also if you arent into the 4 year college thing there is motorcycle mechanics institute which looks really cool from what i have seen and heard.

good luck

Diedrich
03-13-2006, 11:11 PM
i grad. with a 2.5 and can get into a university...like stocktires said all they look at here is ACT scores..and i made a 24 on it so im good to go just about anywhere

03-14-2006, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Rico400
Hey for all you people in collage what kinda grades did u have to get in? and what extra things did u do that helped you get in? ex. internships, leadership, office aids? im a sophmore in HS and just wondering if i even have a chance at getting in. lol

freshmen i slacked off alot, and now im doing good so my GPA right now is only like 3.25. is this decent or what for collage. i would like to go to a university, nothing wrong with community collages, its just i would rather get a diploma from a university and live the collage life. lol

also if anyone knows, what kinda of degrees would i need to get to like design things for dirtbikes/atvs... like exhuast systems, or being on the design team to build the new hottest models of dirtbikes and stuff.... i know it probably sounds lame but i would really like to be doing that someday. i dont wanna be someone that hates there job.

Do you want to just "get in" to college or do you want to try and get a scholarship where your education is paid for?? Most all state universities you just have to be breathing to be accepted. Now if you want any type of scholarship money you should try your hardest to get the best grades possible in HS plus take a bunch of AP classes. Taking AP classes will do two things, if you pass the AP test at the end of the year you get college credit for that class, way cool! Plus it shows a university your willingness to work hard in HS and take tough classes, thus separating yourself from others and possibly more scholarship money for you.

College is sooooo expensive, any scholarships you can get is that much less you have to pay out in student loans!

Honda4trax250x
03-14-2006, 09:03 AM
my GPA is a 3.5 which is bound to go down after this semester:(

DeerNuts
03-14-2006, 09:09 AM
It all depends on what kind of university you want to go to.

Like said above, pretty much anything will get you into a lot of state colleges. However, to get scholarships or go to their main campuses you had better have around a 3.0-3.5 and a 1200 or so or 28 on ACT. (1200 on old SAT, whatever that translates into on the new one).

If you want to go to a top 25 or Ivy, better be rich and pushing a 4.0 and maxing out AP and getting close to perfect on the SAT/ACT. Some schools are so competitive its just plain ridiculous.

PismoLocal
03-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Universitys are huge on SAT score's and community service. I scored a 1340 on my SAT and i have 400 hours of community service which sounds like a lot but there were kids that i graduated with that had over a 1000 hours of community service time. I had decent grades in highschool around a 3.2 to a 3.6 and i took 4 years of mechanical drawing and 4 years of CAD along with all college prep classes. I also play Water Polo too. Im pretty sure that played a big part in me getting into school considering they gave me a scholarship.

wilkin250r
03-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Keep in mind, there is nothing wrong with attending a community college for a year or two before transferring to a university. It's much cheaper, and the lower-level classes are often actually better.

Most universities concentrate on the quality of the upper-level classes. Nano-technology, computer pattern recognition, you know, the advanced stuff. They don't give a crap about English 101 or Pre-Calculus. As a result, the lower-level courses are often taught by assistants or undergrad students.

Really, the only drawback to a Community College for the first couple years is the lack of parties. Now, this can indeed be significant, because I firmly believe that half the reason for college is your life outside classes.

DeerNuts
03-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Good point Wilkin about considering going to a community college for the first two years or so. The campus Im on is for 2 years typically and then I go out to the main campus. Ill agree the classes are better.

And then when or if you shoot for a bigger, more prestigeous university, if youre grades are decent in college, you will have a much better shot than you did right out of high school. That, and the competition is a lot less intense for transfer than for freshman admission. This trend is increasing though, so do it within the next few years or you will notice the competition to approach what it is now for freshman admissions.

Rico400
03-14-2006, 04:10 PM
o ok thxx for the info. seems like i have a decent shot at getting in its just the scholorships.

ive been doing mostly computer science things right now in HS
(computer programming) so hopefully i can some how make that work in designing bikes and stuff. lol

ive also been thinking about MMI, anyone heard of what jobs come from out of that and what salary was?

sorry if this is annoying its just im trying to see what kind of options i have. and what ill actually like

DozerDan
03-14-2006, 06:33 PM
I had a 4.1 gpa in highschool, with tons of extra curricular activities. I also had an 1160 on my SAT's I prob should have done a little higher but at the time I took them I had a lot going on and on my mind, they didnt seem important to me

Got into all but one school I applied to, and that was due to medical restrictions (USCGA - i had recently had major surgury on my shoulder)

Went to Lafayette College. Got bored with it and lazy, decided $ girls and beer were more important, so I 2nd semester junior year. Spent the last two years working, and now think I am ready to go back and finish my engineering degree.

250r4life
07-16-2006, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by Titanium
All i kno is that u don't really have to worry about grades until ur a junior and senior in highschool.

that has to be one of the most un-intelligent things that i have read on this site...

your gpa is made up from freshmen year on, or even before that if you start taking high school courses early...
and, you start applying to colleges at the start of your senior year, if not before then if i recall... i just know it was still football season my senior year when i knew i was accepted and had a full ride academic scholarship to ASU.

if you jack around for the frist 2 or 3 years, youve likely just screwed yourself...

i'll go ahead and use a comparison that you should understand...
say you have a 5 gallon can of gas... if you add 3 gallons of 87 (freshmen, soph, jr ) and one gallon of 110 (senior), you dont have an overall octane of 110, and that majority of 87 will dominate your mix and your octane rating will only be slightly higher... same with your gpa buddy...

250r4life
07-16-2006, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Keep in mind, there is nothing wrong with attending a community college for a year or two before transferring to a university. It's much cheaper, and the lower-level classes are often actually better.

Most universities concentrate on the quality of the upper-level classes. Nano-technology, computer pattern recognition, you know, the advanced stuff. They don't give a crap about English 101 or Pre-Calculus. As a result, the lower-level courses are often taught by assistants or undergrad students.

Really, the only drawback to a Community College for the first couple years is the lack of parties. Now, this can indeed be significant, because I firmly believe that half the reason for college is your life outside classes.

yah, if i wasnt on scholarship i would definately have gone to a CC... it would be cheaper, here locally the classes are much easier... and like wilkin said, here at asu they get a bunch of idiots who cant even speak english to teach teh undergraduate courses, and i often had to teach myself and those around me the material...

250r4life
07-16-2006, 02:30 AM
my advice... dont screw around and get good grades in high school.. if you just put forth minimal effort, high school is so easy... i slept more than i payed attention, and still graduated with over a 4.0...

and let me tell ya- it really sucks to get paid to go to college :D

250xridamatt
07-16-2006, 07:20 AM
250r4life is right, I sleep all the time and still manage good grades. Just do the stuff that you are told to do, and work a little bit. I slacked off my freshman year, but stepped it up last year for my sophomore year. Im going into my junior year with a 3.9 gpa, while going for my honors diploma. I hope to maintain that and get into a good college for as cheap as possible.

xtullyx16
07-16-2006, 01:26 PM
man, u guys are gettin pretty good grades! i say like 3.2 and up is great ... i dont think ill be getting as good of grades at my highschool cause our grading scale is moving from a 5 point scale (A B C D F) to a 12 point ( a+ A A- etc..) soo its going to be really hard to get good grades... mmm i hate school:scary:

derekhonda
07-16-2006, 02:03 PM
I was borderline 4.0 in highschool (weighted) like a 3.5 unweighted. Had a decent amount of extra curriculars, and a 1200 SAT. I applied to three schools and got in, but only received one scholarship for $1000.

Overall, work hard. There isn't any reason to slack off. It isn't that hard to make good grades in highschool, anyways. Plus, if you set up a good work ethic it will help you out in the long run (be it college, or work)