PDA

View Full Version : no air box lid....... huh?

jeremy_283
03-13-2006, 04:06 PM
i recently switched from a stage 1 to stage 2 dynojet 145 to 170 and my bike has more power with a stage 2 but before i installed a stage 2 i removed my lid and it didnt putt around or backfire at all.... and also 2 weeks ago my friends cousin went from running with airbox and lid to an open filter cuz his airbox broke and his bike ran the same....... wats up with that?.. do your guys bikes do the same

ride_red666
03-13-2006, 04:35 PM
mine back fires a bit but its more of a poping sound but only when im slowing down from going full out.or its flooded and i hav to pull start it.

jakslap
03-13-2006, 04:36 PM
I don't have an answer for you, but I have a similar Q. I bought a used 01 ex that's been jetted and runs on an open system. I run in muddy areas and would like to cover it, at least a little. You know what the options are?

I tried to put a stock cover on it, but it stalled about 50 yards into the ride.

Thanks.

GPracer2500
03-13-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by jakslap
I don't have an answer for you, but I have a similar Q. I bought a used 01 ex that's been jetted and runs on an open system. I run in muddy areas and would like to cover it, at least a little. You know what the options are?

I tried to put a stock cover on it, but it stalled about 50 yards into the ride.

Thanks.

The answer is to rejet your carb to run correctly with the airbox lid on.

When you put the lid on you've just reduced the airflow into the engine--but the carb is still delivering the same amount of fuel. The result is rich (i.e. too much fuel) jetting. Depending on a variety of things, you could prolly get away with simply changing your main jet to a smaller size so you can run the lid.

Main jet access on the 400EX carb is excellent. After you do it a few times it really only takes a few minutes to swap mains.

There are other options as well concerning lid vs. no lid. UNI makes those little filter plugs that you can install all over the top of the airbox or there's the Outerwear lid covers. Those give you a compromise of sorts between running with or without a lid. The Outerwear lid covers may not require a jetting change since they flow so well; the UNI plugs might require a small jetting change.

Brehmmotorsport
03-13-2006, 06:20 PM
get on ebay or go to ehsracing.com and get his setup. It is a billet bracket that keeps and outerwear sealed into the stock lid. Like running open airbox but you don't get anything in. I race xc and love it. I don't know the guys but swear by their product to everyone that asks.

TravEX
03-13-2006, 09:27 PM
The best $65 I've spent on my EX!
Waterproof too, even after 3 years!

NCexRider
03-14-2006, 06:00 AM
Yeah, I've heard that the EHS Racing lid is the hot setup.;)

Brehmmotorsport
03-14-2006, 08:40 AM
Ha Ha

PismoLocal
03-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by ride_red666
mine back fires a bit but its more of a poping sound but only when im slowing down from going full out.or its flooded and i hav to pull start it.
sounds like you need to rejet

jakslap
03-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Okay, so if you run an open system, you close the snorkel hole, right? Mine has a pvc pipe end stuffed in that hole to block it.

I'm fairly new at this and I've been scratching my head so much it's raw.

MachSp33d
03-14-2006, 12:53 PM
When you got that after marker airbox lid, didnt you have to re-jet your carb?

-Mach

NCexRider
03-14-2006, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't see any reason to block off the snorkel hole. The point of an open airbox is to get as much air as you can, from wherever.

Brehmmotorsport
03-14-2006, 03:35 PM
I ran open airbox and didn't have to rejet when going to the ehs cover. But yes if you run with a lid you will definatly have to rejet if you go to no lid.

#1rmman220
03-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by jakslap

Thanks.
ik you still have your cover they make kits that you can cut your box cover and put like and outer ware on the lid.

00400exrider
03-17-2006, 08:23 PM
the best way for it. if ur gunna keep ur keep ur lid on is to find a trampoline. cut out a piece and staple it around it water proof and still gets good air to the filter.

jeremy_283
03-17-2006, 08:54 PM
if u keep up with these forms u will remember a couple months ago i posted somthing about make your own k&n airbox lid for your aftermarket aluminum airbox since k and n dont make none 4 em.... well i did it..... its pretty frekin sweet..... k and n lid and i even sewed some velcro to an outerwear too.... for the aluminum part of the lid the k and n had to fit into i found a handicapped parking sign... I WONDER WAT GRADE OF ALUMINUM THEIR MADE OUT OF? .... i like it dats all.... next time i take it off i will bring it in my room and take a pic of it and post it on here... total it cost me about 50 buck for the brand new k and n and the outerwear material...... not a bad investment at all..... totally beats ehs in my book