PDA

View Full Version : PEP Shocks

04TRX400EX
03-13-2006, 01:32 PM
So I am getting real close to upgrading the front of my 400EX with some new shocks. I have a budget to keep to and am looking at either Elka Triple-rate Rec Series, Fox Floats, or I may get a set of like-new but used PEP ZPS-rezzies from a guy. What are everyone's opinions? I know a lot of people don't know about Fox Shox (since another thread I posted hasn't had much response), but Elka's seem widely used. How do they compare to PEP?

chapmanmd
03-13-2006, 01:46 PM
Dont go with the zps if youre riding xc. For MX, great.

PEP's are a good shock, as are the other two.

pudamac12
03-13-2006, 01:50 PM
get a set of motowoz.

04TRX400EX
03-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by chapmanmd
Dont go with the zps if youre riding xc. For MX, great.

I'm not running mx, or xc really for that matter. I do trail riding and some dunes here and there. I live in AZ so it's mostly hard-packed dirt trails. Maybe you'd consider that xc, idk.

chapmanmd
03-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Then you probably dont need the rezzies and the Elka recs would be fine.

03-13-2006, 03:16 PM
i would go with the Elkas for sure :macho

chapmanmd
03-13-2006, 03:32 PM
But its NOT because the Elka is a better shock than the PEP. Its because the Recs are probably all that you need.

:blah:

hondardr4life
03-13-2006, 04:21 PM
I would definetly get the peps. It's always good to have the shocks there if you need them. How much cheaper are the elkas than the peps??? If the pep's are only a few hundred more, or cheaper, I would not think twice, I'd buy the peps for sure.

rob-u/21
03-13-2006, 05:07 PM
you should consider TCS. They have a great product.

03-13-2006, 05:18 PM
But its NOT because the Elka is a better shock than the PEP. Its because the Recs are probably all that you need.

:blah:

lmao, now now...haha

i would hope pep zps would be better then a non adjustable/non ressie elka, otherwise id say they have some problems lol

id still go with the elka tho, quality shocks, pick up a used adjustable set off ebay if you want an even better ride, but for just trail riding and messing around, elka rec is really all you need like everyone said

chapmanmd
03-13-2006, 06:49 PM
The high end Elka, PEP, Axis, etc are all good shocks. You really cant go wrong with any of them as long as theyre set up for the individual rider, riding type, and skill level. No reason to admit that youre not Doug Gust. If youre a novice or intermediate rider, admit it and get the right shocks for you.

Just yanking your chain Norton. :D

Nick110
03-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by pudamac12
get a set of motowoz.

I agree

www.motowoz.com

04TRX400EX
03-13-2006, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
I would definetly get the peps. It's always good to have the shocks there if you need them. How much cheaper are the elkas than the peps??? If the pep's are only a few hundred more, or cheaper, I would not think twice, I'd buy the peps for sure.

That's what I am thinking. I know that I really don't need rezzies and adjustability for the trail riding that I do, but I would get what I think is a very respectable deal on the PEP's - a price that is a little more than the Elka's and less the the Fox Floats. I know Elka makes awesome shocks, but it seems a lot of people hold PEP's in very high regards.

chapmanmd
03-14-2006, 06:21 AM
PEP's are certainly my favorites to run.

03-14-2006, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by pudamac12
get a set of motowoz.

oooo so i see some of you people have money trees.
those shocks are like supper expensive. but i wish i had those shocks also.

Nick110
03-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by kitty

Thats why you shouldnt post stuff when you have no idea about what your talkin about.

A set of tripple rate rebound adj. longtravel shocks are around 1300. That is competitivly priced against PEP, ELKA, and AXIS.

04'400ex'er
03-14-2006, 04:12 PM
I believe these are the "Custom Elka's" you are looking for...
HAHAHAHA:eek2: :rolleyes:

04TRX400EX
03-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
I believe these are the "Custom Elka's" you are looking for...
HAHAHAHA:eek2: :rolleyes:

Definitely not what I'm looking for. I'm not sure if that was a joke or what, but I'm looking for opinions about aftermarket suspension, not stock shocks with Elka stickers :rolleyes:

So far, it looks like the PEP's may be the way to go. Thanks for all of the valuable opinions so far :)

pudamac12
03-15-2006, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by kitty

not money trees but some people have work ethic and work more then one job to help pay for toys. Not attacking anyone here just stating is all

04TRX400EX
03-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Does anyone know of the travel gain on the Pep's? I know the Elka's give you 2" more travel. I was just wondering about how the Pep's compare. From some pictures that I've seen it actually looks like they may be less than stock.

Ex'r Marlin
03-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Living in Arizona, you will find that it can get a bit warm.:D (Especially in the Phoenix area:eek: )

If you are going to invest in some aftermarket shocks for trail riding, etc... I highly recommend getting the ressies where we live.

In short, per the 3 listed, I too would recommend the PEP used shocks.

I run the Elka triple rate with SSD... And I love the lower stance, even when I raced XC.

I don't know much about the Fox Float shocks to give advise on.

Question: Are you planning on doing anything with your rear shock?

If you go with the ZPS front shocks, I believe it would be wise to either get a ZPS rear shock, or have your rear shock serviced to complement the fronts.

04TRX400EX
03-16-2006, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the all of the replies everyone!

Ex'r Marlin: I am planning on having the rear shock rebuilt by C&D Racing or someone like that to convert it to a dual-rate ZPS design revalved for my weight and riding style. I would love to get a brand new remote rezzie rear Elka or Pep, but it costs about half as much to rebuild than buy new. I wanted to ask your opinion. I'll talk to you about it more this weekend.

Sjorge450R
03-16-2006, 04:44 AM
idk, why people think ZPS is bad for XC? I love my ZPS elka fronts on my 300ex. It lowers the ride height, without loosing clearance so you can turn and ride better. Either way, if you go with PEP or Elka as long as they are set up for you and you arent a expert class rider, you really wont feel that big of a difference.

chapmanmd
03-16-2006, 05:52 AM
How can you possibly lower ride height without losing clearance???

I just find it interesting that Santo Derisi and others strongly suggest no zero preload for XC? Do you know something the experts dont?

rocketed30
03-16-2006, 09:18 AM
If you decide to go with the front pep-zps,I have a rear pep-zps I will sell for $350.Probably not much more than having stock one rebuilt.

chapmanmd
03-16-2006, 09:42 AM
My XC quad...

Ex'r Marlin
03-16-2006, 10:00 AM
... I just find it interesting that Santo Derisi and others strongly suggest no zero preload for XC? Do you know something the experts dont?
I was not aware that it was suggested to not run zero preload for XC. Back in '99 when I got my shocks, it was the all the talk then. Maybe it has changed now?

Correct me if I am wrong... The SSD (Self Sagging Device) or ZPS (Zero Preload System) is designed with the top spring allowing the atv to "squat" some without affecting the preload of the shock. This I believe allows the atv to "squat" some when the rider mounts to the atv. Obviously you adjust your ride height with the threaded collars.

BTW... Nice pic.:cool:

$350 for a rear PEP ZPS Shock??? Sounds good for you Danny (04TRX400EX)!

Good luck Danny! Again, we are all here to help you with your decision... And it sounds like I will be learning something new too!:D :cool:

chapmanmd
03-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Yeah, $350 is an awesome price, ZPS or not.

Thanks for the compliment on the pic.

I think there are two schools of thought on Zero Preload for XC. All that I know is that anytime I have talked to Santo DeRisi or any of those guys, I was told not to use ZPS for XC.

Hell, who knows. Use whats best for you. :D

rocketed30
03-16-2006, 02:04 PM
For pics of my pep-zps rear shock send e-mail add to rocketed30@comcast.net.Fronts were already sold on this site for$400. Buyer is very happy with them.

Bighead1
03-16-2006, 02:48 PM
So nobody likes the Fox Shocks? I thought they were supposed to be good ones. Aren't they full air adjustable? And they don't cost over $1000 (the ones I looked at anyways)

03-16-2006, 04:15 PM
How can you possibly lower ride height without losing clearance???

I just find it interesting that Santo Derisi and others strongly suggest no zero preload for XC? Do you know something the experts dont?

if you lower ride height you will lose ground clearance, that is obvious, whoever thinks that you wont needs to think about what happens when you put a zero preload shock on

i have no idea why santo reccommends no zero preload...especially since he runs zero preload :confused:

i run zero preload on my bike, sort of, i had GT Thunder set up my suspension and he changed some of the springs, the top spring is more active now, and less of zero preload then normal, but still has some amount of drop, as for my rear, its a full preload 1 spring shock, with some NICE valving done by laz, his rear end setup is striaght up amazing

I would go with the zps for xc riding, at least thats my opinion, it seems to let the tires hook up a bit better and keep you low to the ground at high speeds

03-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Bighead1
So nobody likes the Fox Shocks? I thought they were supposed to be good ones. Aren't they full air adjustable? And they don't cost over $1000 (the ones I looked at anyways)

IMO i think they still need to do a little bit of development work on that setup before it is perfected, its a decent shock though dont get me wrong, i just feel that Elka and some other brands are better then the fox shocks

chapmanmd
03-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
if you lower ride height you will lose ground clearance, that is obvious, whoever thinks that you wont needs to think about what happens when you put a zero preload shock on

i have no idea why santo reccommends no zero preload...especially since he runs zero preload :confused:

i run zero preload on my bike, sort of, i had GT Thunder set up my suspension and he changed some of the springs, the top spring is more active now, and less of zero preload then normal, but still has some amount of drop, as for my rear, its a full preload 1 spring shock, with some NICE valving done by laz, his rear end setup is striaght up amazing

I would go with the zps for xc riding, at least thats my opinion, it seems to let the tires hook up a bit better and keep you low to the ground at high speeds

Im with you 100% Yurik and Im not one to argue fact. ZPS is beneficial everywhere - turning, traction, etc. I too am running a "kind of" zps on my XC quad (PEP shocks). All that I know is that when I called Santo about building some shocks, he told me that ZPS wasnt a good idea for XC, as did PEP.

04TRX400EX
03-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Bighead1

Fox makes two types of Float Air Shox. The first is the one I was referring to ($650). It is technically not adjustable in terms of rebound and compression, but by changing the air pressure inside the shock, you change how soft/firm the shock is. Fox also makes an Evol Float that is like the professional series that costs like $1300. It is what Team Suzuki runs on the new LT-R450's. It is long travel and compression and rebound adjustable, as well as air pressure adjustable.

I don't think that no one like Fox, it's just that not many people run them. Whoever has them however loves them.

04TRX400EX
03-16-2006, 06:15 PM
chapmanmd-
why don't these Pep's that I'm looking at look like yours? Note the large metal "mass" at the top of the shock.

chapmanmd
03-16-2006, 07:22 PM
First of all, mine are on a 300ex and are 3 inches shorter. Second, I had just bolted these on and had not adjusted pre-load at all and theyre all the way slack.

03-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Im with you 100% Yurik and Im not one to argue fact. ZPS is beneficial everywhere - turning, traction, etc. I too am running a "kind of" zps on my XC quad (PEP shocks). All that I know is that when I called Santo about building some shocks, he told me that ZPS wasnt a good idea for XC, as did PEP.

ya i dont see how it would be good to run a no zero preload setup, you at least would want some amount of sag to keep the tires planted, and at least get you a little lower for high speed cornering, i just couldnt see how a no zero preload shock would be better

04TRX400EX
03-16-2006, 09:58 PM
First of all, mine are on a 300ex and are 3 inches shorter. Second, I had just bolted these on and had not adjusted pre-load at all and theyre all the way slack.

Didn't realize your pic was of a 300EX. That explains it. I was started to get worried that the shocks I was looking to buy were the wrong ones. That would have made me mad. As long as the Pep's are supposed to look that way, I'm happy. Thanks.

rocketed30
03-17-2006, 08:02 AM
I may be wrong but when I have raced XC's in the north east you ususlly get hung up on the rear skid from deep tire ruts not on the belly skid.Even in deep mud your swing arm skid will always be lower.I love the ZPS set up for XC and will order A set for the 06 450R as soon as I can get my hands on A kick start model.

03-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by rocketed30
I may be wrong but when I have raced XC's in the north east you ususlly get hung up on the rear skid from deep tire ruts not on the belly skid.Even in deep mud your swing arm skid will always be lower.I love the ZPS set up for XC and will order A set for the 06 450R as soon as I can get my hands on A kick start model.

the far back of the swinger skid will always be lower, being its the lowest part of the quad and you can adjust the height of that, unless you of course switch to bigger tires or wheels