PDA

View Full Version : WARNING! For those who don't use bark busters.

Big Chuck
03-13-2006, 11:15 AM
I have never used bark busters in all my racing and riding figuring that for a tree to get close enough to my hands, I will have been wrapped up in it with my front wheel 1st. I couldn't have been more wrong. I race the GNCC's and local XC circuit in between and was getting some motor and seat time in on my new Outlaw with a friend on my XC track. I came down a hill to a combured turn and high sided it into a tree. I cut my left ring finger off in my glove on the tree, hanging by a thread of skin crushing/cutting the bone in two. I was preparing to go to Georgia's GNCC that coming weekend. So, a word to the wise...:eek2:

450robot
03-13-2006, 11:23 AM
had the same thing happen to me, i will never go without mine now, i was at a gncc race, weaving through trees, when some guy rear ended me into a tree, my hand was pinned between the bars and the tree... if that wasnt bad enough, while trying to back my quad out of the tree, a utility hit my tire, pinning me even more into the tree, by the time i got away from the tree my hand was completely numb from what had happened

ouch

@Bad465EX
03-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Sorry to hear that. lets see some pictures of the damage ? finger tree and quad. good luck on the healing process

400exrules
03-13-2006, 11:38 AM
bark busters:confused: .............handguards? same thing?

if so, i have my first harescramble sunday, and if i enjoy it and continue to race the rest of the season, then im going to get some handguards, whats a good brand?

Big Chuck
03-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Ya, hand gaurds are the same thing. couldn't get a pic of it, was rushing to the hospital cause I figured my finger was dying without a blood supply. Was a good thing I did. Saved so far. Just cracked off the grey V part on the hood, can replace that. Was more upset about not being to go to GA than the finger at the time. Was told to shut up and git in the truck right away.:mad:

Mxjunkie
03-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Bark busters are an aluminum bar that wraps around, I had them on my cr80 and they are soon going on my banshee!

03-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Bark busters are an aluminum bar that wraps around, I had them on my cr80 and they are soon going on my banshee! They're great until you go over the bars and snap your wrists in half.

bwamos
03-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
They're great until you go over the bars and snap your wrists in half.

I use a set of Cycra Pro's. No plastic brush guard, just the aluminum bar. If they are mounted right, it would be damn near impossible to wedge your hand in there if you came off the front. Unless you just plain didn't let go of the bars. You're gonna break something on the brake/clutch levers long before you get to the bar, anyway.

Flynbryan19
03-13-2006, 01:52 PM
I've been around woods racing/xc racing for over 10yrs now and have NEVER seen someone break their wrists from handguards/barkbusters. Its just an old gossip story. I've never seen it happen. You let go of the bars looong before its an issue.

03-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
I've been around woods racing/xc racing for over 10yrs now and have NEVER seen someone break their wrists from handguards/barkbusters. Its just an old gossip story. I've never seen it happen. You let go of the bars looong before its an issue. I've witnessed it happen. Twice.

kamikaze_rzrbak
03-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by MXFourTwoEight
I've witnessed it happen. Twice.
you win some you lose some.

400exrules
03-14-2006, 05:39 PM
whats a good brand?

watts16
03-14-2006, 05:46 PM
i like cycras because they have a bend in them so you dont hit your hand when you turn sharp.

lghickman21
03-14-2006, 09:06 PM
I run moose bark buster with cycra plastics.
I was riding with a guy that was riding a 250r with bark busters and he was going up a hill and lost it, he got his hands caught up in his busters and broke both his wrists when it hit. but i wouldn't think about taking mine off for it.

Rootar
03-15-2006, 08:22 AM
that sucks about you finger i took my hand guards off for freestyle tricks and i never put them back on so i sold them maybe i need to keep a set for when we do go trailriding