View Full Version : lt 80 frt shocks

fattire
03-12-2006, 11:39 PM
help.
just received my new 'midwest mini" front shocks for my
girls lt,,,:confused:
when i put them on although, the camber now is WAY
off...
anybody have a solution to this problem?
( using stock a arms, no wheel spacers),,,
thanks.

maggiesboy
03-13-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by fattire
help.
just received my new 'midwest mini" front shocks for my
girls lt,,,:confused:
when i put them on although, the camber now is WAY
off...
anybody have a solution to this problem?
( using stock a arms, no wheel spacers),,,
thanks.
you might want to reinstall your stockers, those things are just too long for these lil' LT's to keep the front end geometry correct.

I had heard of "goofy" things going on with some of those shocks, that is why I ended up buying works.

maggiesboy
03-13-2006, 08:39 AM
opps, wrong pic, here ya go

maggiesboy
03-13-2006, 08:54 AM
mid west mini LT page (http://midwestmini.com/lt80_hop-ups.htm)

Add 1" of ground clearance, and 5" of travel.......purdy cool I will say. $149.00 very cool.

It was a well respected builder/ owner/racer that stated a month or so back that these shocks are a buyer beware situation.

fattire
03-13-2006, 11:36 PM
thanks ,maggiesboy,nice quad, about what i can do with these shocks?i've been checking everyones PROJECTS,a arms,extenders,even camber compensators, all seem to need tie rod changes also correct?
midwest mini's site sells "stud " extenders, don't think so,,,,,:D :D :D
i've kinda tossed around the top shock tower mount ,.
idea but i'm afraid that the shock angle will give me probs.
any more suggestions?

maggiesboy
03-14-2006, 08:42 AM
you are correct with your thoughts on the stud type extenders, we use the dura-blue ez fits on the front, as they are much stronger.

I don't know of anyone running the compensators. I will look into that some more.

The shock is just too long to fit properly, without a relocated top or bottom mount. If you have a welder, life is good :D

grizzlykev
03-14-2006, 04:55 PM
those shocks are junk but now you have them. we put the james lucky +6 front end extender on ours fixed the camber issue it comes with tie rod ext and ever thing you need.def a plus for the lt front end we also ran a ext rear axle the thing really handles .

fattire
03-14-2006, 05:10 PM
thanks guys, talked to my WELDER today perhaps there is yet some hope:rolleyes:
whats the deal with the james lucky extenders? is it a set of NEW a arms? what is in the package?
thank you again .
stu

grizzlykev
03-14-2006, 05:20 PM
it bolts in and extends your spindles+3 on each side think its 150.00 not sure they have a site i think james lucky.

fattire
03-28-2006, 05:39 PM
hello again;
sorry for the time -gap-, busy getting the quads ready ,
i'll be posting my pic,s asap. i WAS able to use them after all, just had to FAB the top shock mount, i used alum, turn out .
thats all i'm gonna say on that:D :D ,
thanks for all your input guys!
happy riding,
stu

06-03-2006, 02:00 PM
THIS IS A QUESTION FOR MAGGIESBOY, ARE YOU SAYING THAT THE MIDWEST MINI'S FRONT "LONG TRAVEL" SHOCKS ARE BAD PERIOD. OR ARE THEY BAD FOR "TT" RACING, LOOKING AT THE PICTURE YOU POSTED IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR KFX 80 IS SET UP FOR "TT" RACING, I'M ASKING, BECAUSE I JUST BOUGHT THE LONG TRAVEL SHOCKS FOR MY BOYS KFX 80 BUT HE RIDES MOSTLY TRAILS AND DOES MX. I HAVEN'T PUT THEM ON YET AND YOUR RESPONSES AS WELL AS SOME OTHER QUOTES FROM OTHER RIDERS ARE BEGINNING TO MAKE ME SECOND GUESS MYSELF. I'M WONDERING IF I SHOULD MAIL THEM BACK AND JUST GET THE WORKS SHOCKS?:confused:

maggiesboy
06-12-2006, 08:49 AM
It is hard to go with anything other than Works. My little guy beats those shocks all the time, they are bomb proof. The extended ones, I think have too much spring. As those shocks are jumped more and more, it is going to act like a pogo stick.
That is what we want to get away from.(the stockers)

Plus the works are rebuilable. I'm getting ready to get my boy the heavier springs from them. He is right at 55 pounds with all of his gear on.

If you are in good with someone that works at a shop, ask them to do you a favor. WC has an "industry insider" program. They can get you a set of shock for a big price cut. :D