PDA

View Full Version : Painting Question

CaptainCanuck
03-12-2006, 10:40 PM
I have a long and boring week ahead of me and I was looking at my hockey equipment and noticed that my hockey helmet is looking pretty rough. Next year, I am playing Beer League where there is no contact and I was thinking about repainting my helmet (I am a player) completely black (it had some white writing on it---Bauer 5000).

What do you recommend for paint? Spray Paint or even maybe Krylon fusion? And how abouts do I go painting it? Sanding it, then putting a few coats of black, and finally adding a couple clear coats?

Any help would be appreciated.

metalmellinium
03-12-2006, 11:00 PM
If theres any scratchs in it, you will have to prime it. But if you dont care, just get some 500 wet sanding paper sand it real good with that, try to sand out the scratchs. Then spray light coats of paint. After its covered spray 2 coats of clear on it and should be good to go. I would use the fusion stuff.

CaptainCanuck
03-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Yeah, there are a lot of scratches in it (and knicks as well).

What do you mean by prime it? Spray it down in a primer first? Is there anyway that I could just sand it down and paint it and get similar results?

CaptainCanuck
03-13-2006, 11:56 AM
Bump. :eek2:

vpofthedrc
03-13-2006, 12:24 PM
go to performancebodies.com They make race car panels and sell a primer that sticks excellent to plastic and rubber materials for customers to paint their nose and tail pieces.

coolex
03-13-2006, 12:30 PM
i just did my goilie helmet for hocky (ice). i sanded it down completely then i primed it then i air brushed it and then i put like 4 coats of clear coat

CaptainCanuck
03-13-2006, 03:31 PM
I dont have access to an airbrush so thats out of the question. How do you think sprary paint or krylon fusion will hold up?

Mxjunkie
03-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Sand smooth, all the knicks and dings, use 400 grit. Clean it off, put a primer on it, LIGHT coats, let dry, sand with 400 lightly, clean, put light coats of paint, DO NOT RUSH IT it will lay uneven and look horrible!

Let dry, now spray paint is single stage which has a glossy finish once done, so you wont have to clear it.

metalmellinium
03-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Put the primer on wet not dry, or else it wont work as good. I would use 500 not 400. And you can still clear if you want.

Mxjunkie
03-13-2006, 05:10 PM
If hes going to put clear on it then he might as well just take it to a autobody shop and have it done because you cant just take a can of rattle can spray and do it and expect it to look great, I've done many cars and I still have trouble with it with a spray gun.

CaptainCanuck
03-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks guys for all the tips.

coolex
03-13-2006, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Sand smooth, all the knicks and dings, use 400 grit. Clean it off, put a primer on it, LIGHT coats, let dry, sand with 400 lightly, clean, put light coats of paint, DO NOT RUSH IT it will lay uneven and look horrible!

Let dry, now spray paint is single stage which has a glossy finish once done, so you wont have to clear it.

im not talking about put clear on for glossy ness im talking for protection to the paint for like chip risestance and stuff

Mxjunkie
03-13-2006, 05:28 PM
If he clears it and it gets a chip, He has to sand the entire thing, repaint it and re clear it..

if he just paints it, it chips he can sand the spot and paint that spot..

see the differnce..

metalmellinium
03-14-2006, 01:35 PM
you cant just spray that one spot. you have to spray the whole thing, ever heard of over spray? ya that will look like ****, plus you can wet sand the clear and make it look nice, just like you do when you spray cars. you always need to wet sand paint to make it look nice. i spray also and never have has problems spraying maybe your doing something wrong or dont know how.

signboy
03-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by vpofthedrc
go to performancebodies.com They make race car panels and sell a primer that sticks excellent to plastic and rubber materials for customers to paint their nose and tail pieces.

Florence, Ky.? Do you race or are you around late models and Florence speedway?

06yfm350
03-14-2006, 06:05 PM
sand it down, then use Adhesion Promoter, let it dry for about 20 mins, then put your paint to it.