PDA

View Full Version : the yamaha yfz450.....how is it overall?

Mud Roost
03-12-2006, 09:43 PM
i am buying a yamaha product and i'm trying to decide what to get based on the reliability factor. I want a YFZ for non-race riding, or a raptor. I don't know what kind of thing's go wrong with the YFZ. If you know some of the known problems with them please list them.

i just got rid of a honda and it is the last honda i will ever even joke about owning. those bikes might be comfortable to ride and handle nice but the engines need a damn lot of work. what a nightmare!

anyway, let me know about the yfz450s/raptors. other than the yfz/raptor i am pretty blank for a quad, nothing else attracts my attention except for the polaris predator.

Mean250r
03-14-2006, 02:17 PM
go with a YFZ450, i just got a left over 05, great bike handles great, only downside to mine is that the battery dies (charged and is fine now) and the uncomfy seat. im gunna get the quad tech seat cover with the extra 1 inch of foam and hopefully that will help, good luck!

Mud Roost
03-14-2006, 03:03 PM
being a race engine, is the yfz a long lasting engine if you dont race? or is it something that needs overhauls alot?

Mean250r
03-14-2006, 03:25 PM
i honestly could not tell ya, i mean 2 strokes are obviosuly cheaper to rebuild. but they are long lasting engines, the life of them depends on how you ride them

KH426
03-15-2006, 04:15 PM
I got 50 or so hours of hard riding on my YFZ and no problems. I would stay away from the raptor because of all the new changes.
YFZ all the way.

Mud Roost
03-15-2006, 06:18 PM
basically I want something I can maintain , ride , enjoy and GO GO GO with out buying crankshafts splitting my cases and doing pistons . i have not heard many crank shaft problems with the yfz what is your take on this!! i was thinking about the raptor thinking it was a pretty stable machine what type things go wrong?

wolffie
03-15-2006, 07:33 PM
first of all, do you want to buy new or used?

a raptor (660) is a good quad, but they have tranny problems in the 01 models. plus the one way starter goes i think in the 02 or 03 (please correct me if i am wrong you yammi guys:) )

the YFZ is an awesome machine. it will spank pretty much ANYTHING, but it isnt 100% ideal for the trails. you will need a much more comfortable seat, and mabey some taller bars for comfort! seriousely though, if performance is an issure, the yfz will spank anything (especially when you start throwing mods into it!)

the predator is a good machine IMO (i should know, i own one:D ) i personally find it to be more reliable than a 660, and it has a much beefier frame (the 05's and above anyways! the 03's need a gusset kit!) plus the TLD comes stock with Fox shocks, Douglas ultimate wheels, and decent tires. the problem with the pred is it is a bit heavy (this isnt a huge concern unless you race mx) and the stock intake sucks! just upgrade to a clamp on K@N, or do what i did and bolt a Honda Civic intake on:devil:

if you are going to buy absolutely new, i wouldnt hesitate to buy the 700 raptor. it is basically the same benefits as the YFZ, but with EFI and a more trail friendly set up! just go to your local dealership and test some stuff out! good luck!:D

Dust_1503
03-15-2006, 09:13 PM
The best thing to do for anything reliability wise is to keep it stock motorwise. The yfz is very good in my books reliability wise just change the oil on a regular basis, get the valve's adjusted from time to time. Grease everything up and wash it everytime you ride thats where you catch anything that could be bad/broken. I have an 05, for a stock quad it handles awesome, tons of power everywhere, very light, and it is very easy to work on. I love it, i'd suggest the 06 yfz since it is the most trail friendly bigger seat, taller stem, smoother power, and they helped get the shocks a little plusher for a trail rider. Also it has a round housing swingarm which is the only way to go for easy chain adjustment. Hope that helps

Mud Roost
03-15-2006, 09:15 PM
thank you ! i really appreciate the input . i will keep it pretty much all stock , i like them stock as they are . cheers !