PDA

View Full Version : Get a Camaro or Hook Up My Z71

TCracin440ex
03-12-2006, 04:17 PM
well ive been wanting a camaro z28 or SS LS1 for the longest kind of time...ive got me a new job and i was thinking i can either take me out a bank loan for the camaro, or i can hook up my z71 with 6 inch suspension, 3 inch body, 4.56 gears, 38'' tires, and a few other things....im kinda stuck between a rock and a hardplace here because i want a camaro but i want my z71 to look good too!!

Guy400
03-12-2006, 04:24 PM
From a former 4th Gen. F-Body owner, keep the truck. If you want a Camaro wait for a few more years and buy the new one with the LS2.

TCracin440ex
03-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
From a former 4th Gen. F-Body owner, keep the truck. If you want a Camaro wait for a few more years and buy the new one with the LS2.

why you say that bro...i dont really have the money for a new camaro....i want to get this camaro and make it a screamer....im talkin pistons, rods, cam, blower, gears, anything i can do to put down a quick ET

im not selling the truck however i will just simply have a z28 and a z71...i dont kno what i want to invest my money in tho...but i can get the z28 and still have the z71 as a daily driver while a z71 with massive lift, really low gearing, and huge *** tires really seem impractical for a daily driver and i can also have a backup with the car because u never kno when it comes to my z71 LOL

Butters
03-12-2006, 04:59 PM
i thought they cancelled the new camaro already :confused:

PolarisRider
03-12-2006, 05:01 PM
get the camaro

Cody_300ex
03-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Not trying to flame but you might want to check on insurance...

TCracin440ex
03-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Cody_300ex
Not trying to flame but you might want to check on insurance...

yea thought bout it not really worried with insurance that wont be 2 much to manage...

idk i needed a second opinion on everything cuz my truck is paid off and only thing ill have to pay for on my truck is my insurance...which is 120 a month

i want to make my z71 a real head turner with the lift and everything but somebody pointed out to me earlier i could have 2 vehicles knowing hte past history of my z and having what problems ive had with it id have a back up vehicle if anything ever went bad and i could still use my truck for daily driving, hauling stuff, so on...while a truck with a huge lift, tires and stuff is really truely impractical for daily driving with fuel prices being what they are...and the amount of wear put on drivetrain and tires....

00400exrider
03-12-2006, 08:52 PM
what year camaro are you looking for.and with gas prices your better off with a geo metro 5spd.

2002400ex
03-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Id jack the Z up:blah:

Honda4trax250x
03-12-2006, 09:08 PM
how many miles are on the truck?

hessianmx111
03-12-2006, 09:09 PM
id get the camaro and keep you z71 the way it is, it's a real nice truck.

Tom TRX250R
03-12-2006, 09:29 PM
I would get the Camaro and keep the 98 Silverado the way it is. It is really impractical to jack up your everyday truck like that with a huge lift and tires. It will get crap gas milage and won't handle worth a **** for everyday driving. My buddy did the same thing to his 94 Z71 and he regretted it after making it his every day truck. He went down to about 7-8mpg. I would rather have the best of both worlds, power and better handling in the Camaro and an everyday truck that still is comfortable to drive.

400exrules
03-12-2006, 09:32 PM
keep the truck, get true dual straights before you get a lift and all that

TCracin440ex
03-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by 00400exrider
what year camaro are you looking for.and with gas prices your better off with a geo metro 5spd.

man id rather have piss poor gas mileage and everything instead of get a punk *** geo

im lookin for a 98-02 camaro z28 or ss LS1....man if you knew your cars youd kno they only had the ls1 motor in the 4gen f-body camaros 98-02

TCracin440ex
03-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
keep the truck, get true dual straights before you get a lift and all that

dude selling the truck wont an option...hooking up the truck further was however....so "keep the truck" is gonna happen anyways man ive done put a new motor and new trans in it...u think im smokin crack or somethin to get rid of that bioch now after ive done pretty much freshened up all the drivetrain

what i was thinking is take out a loan...either A...hook up the truck with the money from the loan or B...get a camaro with the money from the loan....

EDIT:::Not trying to sound like a smart A$S in anyway...just tryin to get my point out that the z wont be goin anywhere lol...i will just be simply adding another car to my collection of toys

TCracin440ex
03-12-2006, 09:59 PM
pic of the truck BTW

TCracin440ex
03-12-2006, 10:00 PM
better pic

Tom TRX250R
03-12-2006, 10:05 PM
Keep this in mind though, The value of the Z71 really won't go up much after dumping all that money into it.

TCracin440ex
03-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
Keep this in mind though, The value of the Z71 really won't go up much after dumping all that money into it.

i dont plan on selling it bro after ive done put in a new motor and new trans....ive got a lifetime warrenty on motor and hell stealerships dont even offer that these days...i could sling a rod out of it tomorrow and have a new motor the next day or so...i always keep this in back of my head...i can fix what ive got cheaper then what i can buy a new one which is true because i can...my truck is 100% paid for and has a clear title only thing htat has to be paid is insurance every month and tags every year...and petro in the tank...

dangle
03-13-2006, 02:38 AM
I'm just curious if this new "job" is a career or what... You're looking at having to vehicles that have ****ty gas mileage, high insurance and parts cost a ton being that the camaro is an LS1 and the truck is 4x4...... why not just fix your truck a little and stash some money back so you can get out of your parents house?

Mike

@Bad465EX
03-13-2006, 09:12 AM
forget thI voted camaro but id drop that and get a trans am. I have a 2000 WS6

jcv400ex
03-13-2006, 10:18 AM
I pick option number 3......DON'T TAKE A LOAN OUT FOR UPGRADES TO YOUR TRUCK!

Scro
03-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Keep the truck and leave it stock. It will ride/drive much better and you won't have it in the shop every couple months getting new bearings or what-not put in.:(

Kawi400Rider
03-13-2006, 12:59 PM
I voted for the Camaro Z28. My aunt had one and it was awesome! It was a hard choice, but I would get that.

polcat1p
03-13-2006, 01:30 PM
my camaro with a lt1-6-speed got 20 -25 mpg on the highway. thats better then my ford ranger with a 4.0. You could also buy a 93-97 and put a ls1 nose on it. Lt1 are fast too. I had mac headers,hooker catback,compter reprogram, moroso cai, and ported heads, 323 rear, and it was a rocket. its a toss up. now that i sold my camaro to get a 4 wheel drive pick-up i wich i had it back, but it snows where i live so i need the ranger more. I did race a ls1 on the highway once and he smoked me. must of had nos or something.

TCracin440ex
03-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
I pick option number 3......DON'T TAKE A LOAN OUT FOR UPGRADES TO YOUR TRUCK!

uhh i want to take out a loan and ish so i can establish some credit....

and bama450r....why whats the point of leaving ish stock...thats like me tellin you to go buy a 450r and leave everything on it down to the handlebars stock and untouched!! its mine, i can do what i please with it...

far as a lt1 camaro and putting a new clip on it..i dont want a lt1 i want a ls1...i got some nasty plans for the camaro too

procharger supercharger
comp cam
z06 heads
exhaust
headers
stage 3 clutch
pistons
rods
4.10 gears
wheels
tires
programmer
all that good ish

and far as a trans am i dont really like trans ams....they are too curvey for me...im a camaro man not a trans am man...

SGA
03-13-2006, 08:10 PM
It really depends on your financial situation.
How old are you? If you got hurt and could not work, could you make the loan payments? Do you have other monthly expenses? Do you have plenty of money in your checking or savings for backup?

Do what you want with your truck or buy a car if you wish, just be prepared for for unexpected expenses or loss of income.

TCracin440ex
03-13-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by SGA
It really depends on your financial situation.
How old are you? If you got hurt and could not work, could you make the loan payments? Do you have other monthly expenses? Do you have plenty of money in your checking or savings for backup?

Do what you want with your truck or buy a car if you wish, just be prepared for for unexpected expenses or loss of income.

i completely understand what your saying...im 19 btw...im not really worried bout getting hurt im working...i dont have any other monthly expenses, and i havent got a checkings or savings i was going to get my stepdad or mom to co-sign for me...

muddy400EX
03-13-2006, 09:53 PM
i just started working awhile back and i was wanting either a camaro or a full size truck also. i went with the truck, i bought a truck from a member on here (underpowered) its got a 3 inch lift and 33's, its makes it bigger but not so big that its to much for daily driving, it still rides rides smooth also. if i were you id mod the hell out the z71. get a 3-4 inch lift with 33's or 35's and it will be awesome but still be good for daily driving. i dont konw what it is, but theres just somehting so bad *** about a lifted truck:macho

400exrules
03-13-2006, 09:56 PM
save your money, or just go with a small lift, a huge lift is pointless, just get like a 3" lift and bigger tires, but most important, get some pipes

antman
03-13-2006, 10:59 PM
hook up the z71... well atleast thats what i would do.

Diedrich
03-13-2006, 11:05 PM
i would lift the Z-71 about 9-10"..go with a 6" suspension and a 3" body...i put that on my buddys truck and it drives fine..he drives it everyday...looks really good and very driveable...put some 38's under on some 20's and you'll be good to go

MOFO
03-14-2006, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
uhh i want to take out a loan and ish so i can establish some credit....

If your taking a loan out, atleast get a loan for something that will retain some value. Taking a loan out to fix your truck up like you mentioned - your better off just throwing the money away.

Your truck is going to be very useless with that huge lift and tires. Your going to cause more problems than you already have had with that truck.

Guy400
03-14-2006, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
why you say that bro...i dont really have the money for a new camaro....i want to get this camaro and make it a screamer....im talkin pistons, rods, cam, blower, gears, anything i can do to put down a quick ETIf you don't have money for the new Camaro that won't be released until 2008 than you don't have money to build up a LS1 Z28. For the things you're talking about doing you're looking at a fortune and there are costs that you haven't even realized. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but I lived at the dragstrip about the first 20 years of my life and I still go a couple times a year now. I rounded costs down and here's what your list of parts is going to cost.
Procharger = $5000
Cam = $350
ZO6 heads = $1800 bare
Exhaust = $800 cat-back only
Headers = $800
Clutch = $1100
Pistons = $700
Rods = $650
Gears = $350
This all equals $11,550 just for the parts you listed and that doesn't include anything else. Those heads you want are bare, you're going spend another $800 or so in completing them. That price for the headers and cat-back doesn't include a hi-po cat or intermediate pipe. Who's going to install all this? If you don't have a decent shop with a lot of tools you're looking at another $6k-8k to pay someone else to assemble. You just can't throw those parts together either. You didn't factor in the cost of hi-po fastners for the entire long block. Do you know how much it costs for machine work and balancing everything? That factory rear-end won't handle this new horspower. Go check out the cost of a Moser 12-bolt rear end kit...$2200 and that's for standard suspension system. A car this fast is going to require a cage.

I'm going to be completely honest with you. For what you want out of this LS1 Z28, you're going to pay around $12k just for the car and then it's going to cost you another $30k to get the car up to the level you're describing. Do you really want to spend $40k?

250rider1
03-14-2006, 09:35 AM
take the money and put it into the truck.

6 inch suspension lift
3 inch body lift
pipes
35 inch tires
and get some power outta that thing

jcv400ex
03-14-2006, 10:12 AM
I understand you want to establish credit, but vehicle upgrades should not be on a monthly payment.....believe me, been there done that. I built my old 85 F250 up back in 1993. 6 inch lift, tires, rims, exhaust, stereo, etc from a personal loan/credit cards. Well after a year, the motor blew and the truck was nickel and diming me. The truck went, but the loan remained.

If you want to do upgrades to your truck, pay with cash little by little, every pay. Open up a savings and a checking account. Every pay put "x" amount into the savings until you have enough to get some upgrades.

Most important thing teens need to learn is too minimize payments and SAVE MONEY! I wish someone would have sissy slapped me 15 years ago and set me on this path.

Once your ready to live on your own/start a family, bills will drown you. a $100 personal loan, $80 in credit cards, $100 student loan bill, etc. That stuff adds up quickly and puts a strain on you.......

Man I sound old...:ermm:

MOFO
03-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
I understand you want to establish credit, but vehicle upgrades should not be on a monthly payment.....believe me, been there done that. I built my old 85 F250 up back in 1993. 6 inch lift, tires, rims, exhaust, stereo, etc from a personal loan/credit cards. Well after a year, the motor blew and the truck was nickel and diming me. The truck went, but the loan remained.

If you want to do upgrades to your truck, pay with cash little by little, every pay. Open up a savings and a checking account. Every pay put "x" amount into the savings until you have enough to get some upgrades.

Most important thing teens need to learn is too minimize payments and SAVE MONEY! I wish someone would have sissy slapped me 15 years ago and set me on this path.

Once your ready to live on your own/start a family, bills will drown you. a $100 personal loan, $80 in credit cards, $100 student loan bill, etc. That stuff adds up quickly and puts a strain on you.......

Man I sound old...:ermm:

Your exactly right! Anything I buy is either cash or paid off completely within 2 months (aside from autos and house).

For what your trying to do, you really should save the cash up and do it that way.

Mxjunkie
03-14-2006, 11:31 AM
I would do neither and I would save up for money to fall back on in life..

MOFO
03-14-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
I would do neither and I would save up for money to fall back on in life..

Same here... but I guess he has that burning pocket with a few bucks in it. We've all been there... :D

TCracin440ex
03-14-2006, 06:08 PM
well since everybody wants to rain on my parade this was the game plan...i was either gonna take out about 5,000 to hook up the truck...or anywhere from 9-12k for the car and hook the car up bit by bit if i got the camaro now it would remain a stock ls1 plus a few things like exhaust, computer upgrade, tires, wheels, cheap ish like that

mrusk
03-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Your not sure what you want to invest your money in????

How about you don't buy a camaro and you don't 'JACK UP' your truck! That would be the smart thing to do. Putting your money to either one of those 2 things would be a really ****ty investment!!!

Save your money! Wait, you don't even have this money to save. Your talking about taking a loan out.

Don't be young and dumb. Save your money. In a couple years you will want to buy a house.

But hey, i know nothing.

NacsMXer
03-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Why not do a total rebuild on the 350 in the Z71? Add a supercharger and a turbo to make it a powerhouse yet still retain the daily driving characteristics.

That's what I did with my 99 F-150. It's my daily driver and I need 4WD and the ability to haul my quad and other toys around. That's why I decided to add a Procharger supercharger system to it. Out of the box alone, it really woke that truck up, yet drives just fine. I'm not even started yet with cranking up the boost and getting custom tunes done to get some really serious numbers out of it.

I wouldn't waste all that cash on a pointless lift and all that stuff. Make a supertruck that will stomp those Camaros and Stangs you see on the street :devil: You already have a solid platform to work off of with that 5.7 350.

SGA
03-14-2006, 09:25 PM
I dont think its raining on your parade so much, its more like we have screwed up doing the exact same thing you are doing and dont want to see you make the same mistakes we made.

Ive done what you are doing, it all backfired and I was in a cash crunch for awhile.
Have some paitence and save up about 6 months of loan payments first in savings.