PDA

View Full Version : Cold Idle Popping

400exPete
03-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Hey guys I tried doing a search and found similar questions but not my specific question. More importantly I didn't find an answer. I have just put on an aluminum air box and a full white bros exhaust on my '99 400ex. I changed the main jet to a 158 and have a 42 pilot jet in it. I removed the choke as they described in the tech article. When the quad is warm it idles and runs awsome but when cold it does the typical popping at idle or even when warming it up with the throttle in a little. I have the mixture screw at 2 turns out right now. Does the popping mean a lean, or rich condition?? :confused: I am just trying to figure out if I need to turn the mixture screw in(lean it out) or out (richen it up). Please let me know. Thanks.

exrider008
03-12-2006, 03:10 PM
it is to lean, try 2.5 turns.

Buffalo400
03-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by exrider008
it is to lean, try 2.5 turns.

What he said

400exPete
03-14-2006, 07:09 AM
Hey guys I tried 2.5 turns out and it is still doing the same. I even went to 3 turns and no change. I can't keep it idling without using the throttle some. If I use the throttle some (keeping it just to keep RPM's up) then I get the popping. It smells like it is running rich to me. It is also hard to start. If I use the three quick pushes of the throttle it will turn over but won't run long enough to keep it running, especially without using the throttle. Any help will be appreciated. I am carburator impaired.:rolleyes: