PDA

View Full Version : my fan quit... wtf?

j_cyrus3
03-12-2006, 02:24 PM
My fan stopped working. wtf? i just got this thing yesterday, surely to god im not gonna run into alot of problems. fan doesnt work, im afraid to ride it, don't want it to overheat. it was working fine yesterday, went to ride it today and the fan didn't kick on. any clue on what i need to check or what i need to do? someone please help me. any help is appreciated. thanks.

by the way, the guy said it was wired to be on all the time.

eganracing
03-12-2006, 02:30 PM
what kind of riding were u doing?

j_cyrus3
03-12-2006, 02:37 PM
just cruising on some trails, not hard riding at all. i rode it up and down the road a couple times. i just noticed it when i was about to go back to my little track to ride some. i dont know what to do. i have no manual or anything. any suggestions?

btlblwnracer
03-12-2006, 02:49 PM
the fan on my 450r barley ever worked , so I took it off and have'nt had a problem yet , never has over heated and I ride it right to the pin. I would not worry about it.

eganracing
03-12-2006, 03:04 PM
the 450r's have very good cooling systems and the fan will only kick on when riding slow with some righ rpm's

j_cyrus3
03-12-2006, 03:05 PM
it is wired to be on all the time though. so it should be on. i would hate to have to take it to my mechanic the 2nd day i have had it. :(

btlblwnracer
03-12-2006, 03:56 PM
if it is wired to be on all of the time take off the hood and see if any of the wires are disconnected , someone could of done a poor job of wiring , not being a smartass , but if someone else wired it , then that is the first thing I would check

BSTURDIVANT
03-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Fan was not designed to be ran all the time I've seen 2 go bad already!

j_cyrus3
03-12-2006, 04:47 PM
if the fan motor was bad would the fan turn any? the fan would turn once you gave it a little push then revved the motor. then it would quit. then when i pulled the kill, my dad said the fan started turning again, every time i have went to turn it off. ill have the wiring redone. im taking it to the local mechanic to check everything for me. thanks for the replies, ill post when i find out what was wrong with it.

03-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by j_cyrus3
if the fan motor was bad would the fan turn any? the fan would turn once you gave it a little push then revved the motor. then it would quit. then when i pulled the kill, my dad said the fan started turning again, every time i have went to turn it off. ill have the wiring redone. im taking it to the local mechanic to check everything for me. thanks for the replies, ill post when i find out what was wrong with it. HAHAHAHAH thats what you get for messing with wiring..prepared to get SCREWED by your local mechanic

j_cyrus3
03-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, thanks for the negative comment. I got home tonight and pulled the hood off and checked everything before I decided to load it up and take it to my mechanic. I took the plug apart, sprayed some white lithium grease in there, seeing what that would do and threw it all back together, kicked it twice and it started right up. fan ran just fine. hopefully that fixed it.

eganracing
03-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
HAHAHAHAH thats what you get for messing with wiring..prepared to get SCREWED by your local mechanic

thats a little harsh man.

03-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by eganracing
thats a little harsh man. i realized that after I typed that but that is what I was thinking when i read it..sorry man id be bummed too if i was having electrical problems

j_cyrus3
03-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Btw...The local mechanic is a head Mechanic at Honda, and I know him pretty good. So I doubt he would screw me that bad haha

03-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by j_cyrus3
Well, thanks for the negative comment. I got home tonight and pulled the hood off and checked everything before I decided to load it up and take it to my mechanic. I took the plug apart, sprayed some white lithium grease in there, seeing what that would do and threw it all back together, kicked it twice and it started right up. fan ran just fine. hopefully that fixed it.

i had the same problem, i overheated 3 times before we found out what was wrong, when i changed the black box (with the light switches etc) to my flexx bars there was a small gap between the plastic, which allowed water to seep in and corrode, this caused the fan to spin VERY slowly, once we unplugged it, it was full speed again, i doubt you fixed the problem, we thought we fixed it 4 times, we even checked the stator and everything

as for the fan going out by doing this, i talked to joe (chris's dad) about what to do with my bike, being i was having an overheating problem, he told me to do this, and they have had no problems doing it, nor have i, and i have over 50 hours doing this, so i dont think it is that common, but u never kno