PDA

View Full Version : porting predator head?

fasterthantim
03-12-2006, 01:09 PM
i did a quick search for porting info on a predator but didnt find any. does anyone have a source or personal experience on this topic? im not new to the porting scene, but am to the predator's cylinder head. any info would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

perley03
03-12-2006, 02:04 PM
i ported and polished my friends last weekend....its hard to get inside the exhaust ports with a air tool so i bought a flex link for a dremel tool and a small mirror. it took about 2 hours total to do. ii got some pics on my phone i'll see if i can upload them so you can see them.

fasterthantim
03-12-2006, 03:12 PM
that would be real cool. ive got some long shanked carbides for my electric die grinder that should work. they worked on my 450r. how much material did you remove and do you know how thick the walls are? also are there any forbiden areas. the last thing i want to do is make a window in a port!!

perley03
03-12-2006, 03:19 PM
lol i didnt remove much meat from the intake side i just smooved out the ridges from the casting. i made sure not to make it real smoove though because you still want some roughness for the air turbulance. as far as downloading the pics off my phone i dont have a cable so i tried to email them but it didnt work....i was hoping i could send them to my email and save them to my computer....oh well my friend has some on his camera i'll wait till i see him next time. on the exhause however i sanded it down then used a polishing wheel with some rubbing compound and made it really smooth so the exhause gases flow nice. as far as power differences i couldnt tell ya cause we replaced the piston with a higher compression one and +1mm intake valves. im sure it made a small difference. we're playing with jets now to compensate for that higher comp. piston so i'll update you on that as well of those pics.

wolffie
03-12-2006, 06:26 PM
i would try going to www.nicholascycle.com and see what they think. they have been modding engines and doing all kinds of work since Polaris first came out! they specialize in making Predators FAST! call up and talk to doug about it, he could probably provide you with some good info!