PDA

View Full Version : no airbox lid

jeremy_283
03-12-2006, 10:38 AM
if you were to take off your airbox lid would your quad be running wrong or would u just be getting the airfilter dirty for no reason if u didnt rejet

03-12-2006, 11:37 AM
i took mine off and its was louder i didnt see a HP increase(most people say it helps) and i have a K&N so idc about dirt

GPracer2500
03-12-2006, 01:10 PM
If your bike was jetted correctly before (with the lid on) and you take the lid off then you most likely just leaned out your jetting.

You can run with the lid on or off but you've got to jet accordingly for each settup.

Here's a couple of example scenarios. If you take your lid off any one of these things could happen depending on how your bike is currently jetted:

1) You are jetted perfectly with the lid on. Take the lid off and and now your lean. Performance will suffer--probably just enough to notice if you know what your looking for.

2) You're jetted a little rich with the airbox lid on. Take the lid off (which allows the engine to flow more air) and now your jetting is really close to being spot-on. Your bike is ripping (cause your bike if finally jetted right)!

3) You're jetted a little lean with the airbox lid on. Take the lid off and now you're way too lean (bad!). The engine is running hotter and performance is noticably degraded ("tinney" exhaust note, low power, reluctance to rev out, backfiring on a trailing throttle, etc).

Hope that helps.

03-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by 89honda 250x
i took mine off and its was louder i didnt see a HP increase(most people say it helps) and i have a K&N so idc about dirt

What do you mean it got louder??? it made the pipe sound louder?

2004exrider
03-12-2006, 07:08 PM
When i took mine off i could hear the intake when i gave it gas. I liked the power difference but i ride in trails that are sometimes muddy and cross a lot of rivers so it wasnt worth putting it back on and rejetting again.

Jimmy

03-12-2006, 07:19 PM
does getting a outwear restrict alot of air?

2004exrider
03-12-2006, 07:32 PM
no

GPracer2500
03-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by 2004exrider
no

+1