PDA

View Full Version : Going thru standing water is stalling quad

DANVAN
03-12-2006, 08:54 AM
A buddy just bought a 2002 300ex.

It seems like very time he goes thru just a few inches of water the engine either stalls or just just bogs down and runs poorly for a few moments until it clears out? Could the ignition wire be breaking down and arching when it gets wet? Anybody see this problem happen before?

Is there a particular shied that could be missing and blocking water? Mine goes thru anythin with no problems.

Another problem it had yesterday, was leaking gas out of the airbox. At the same time gas was leaking, it was not running properly. When we transported it to the riding area, we had it standing up, we ran the carb dry first, when we laid it down and turned on the gas, it started and ran normal for about 5-10 minutes before it acted up the first time, so Im not sure if it even had anything to do with standing it up.

zeppelin
03-12-2006, 09:01 AM
from what your sayng it sounds like the water is too shallow to be getting in the intake. if that true then it is almost definetly something electrical. the first thing i would look for is if the previous owner installed a tether kill switch. look for all of the connections on that and if none of them are exposed its time to break out a wrining diagram and go through everything.

as for the gas leaking, standing the quad up will cause that, but i would still go through the carb. clean EVERYTHING, take the jets out and blow through them to see if anything is blocking them and do the same for every little orphice and passages you can find.

300ex mxracer
03-12-2006, 03:35 PM
my 300 did thet same thing and it was the coil. it got wet and then just stopped running altogether till i replaced it, even after letting t dry out. as for the gas thing, i would check the float. u mite have messed it up when u flipped it up.

DANVAN
03-13-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I think we will start by wetting down the engine at home and see if it acts up. Im hoping for a coil or an ignition wire.

I have to also sit his and mine next to each other and see if his is missing a shield.

As far as the gas, it only leaked the one time, and I just remembered the owner of the said quad flipped it the weekend before, so maybe it was in the airbox from the fall? We pulled the plug from the bottom of the box and the gas ran out, the rest of the day when we pulled it, it was dry.

bwamos
03-14-2006, 08:06 AM
For the electrical: Put Dielectric grease on all the electrical connections. It will help with the water resistance. Probabaly just grounding out the ignition circuit when it gets wet.

Trevor
03-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Take the connectors on your cdi apart and clean them and put dialectic grease on them. This helped mine alot the cdi i up front under the fenders mounted to the frame.