PDA

View Full Version : How much to install cam and 416 kit?

04TRX400EX
03-11-2006, 09:34 PM
For all of you that have cams and bore kits on your 400EX's, how much does it usually cost to get them installed? I want to do a Stage 1 or 2 Hot Cam with a Wiseco 416 kit. Any ideas on install pricing? Also, should I be looking at shops too, or just have a dealer do it? If shops are good, anyone know of any in Phoenix?

GPracer2500
03-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Call Gary Cluff at Custom Cycle-ATV (he's the owner) in Mesa. 480-696-2863. He knows 400s inside and out. He's a straight shooter and I trust him quite a bit. He'll O-ring the top of the sleeve to prevent head gasket problems. I had him do my machine work (I did the assembly) and I know others that had him do work on their 400s.

parts eeter
03-12-2006, 11:20 AM
Dont bore your 04 engine out its not even worn in yet.Just put an 11:1 stock bore piston from rocky mountain.95 bux,gasket kit 30 bux,and a stage 1 cam 130 bux.Get a shop manual and build it yourself.I have never worked on an atv engine before and built my ex in one evening.No problems and runs sweet.Alot of people say use hd studs blah,blah,blah.I did and my machine work cost me a fortune.Then I went to a buddy of mine who raced them and said that I just flushed money down the toilet cuz with 11:1 comp they arent needed.Only with thee 12.5:1 and uo are they required.Really do it yourself.You can do it.I know a girl who built one and only had the manual to help herself.Oh and use a 42 pilot and 155 thru 160 mainjet and you will be fine.Hope you try it,I am sure you will be happy.Its a great feeling to ride a machine that you built yourself.

04TRX400EX
03-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by parts eeter
Dont bore your 04 engine out its not even worn in yet.Just put an 11:1 stock bore piston from rocky mountain.95 bux,gasket kit 30 bux,and a stage 1 cam 130 bux.Get a shop manual and build it yourself.I have never worked on an atv engine before and built my ex in one evening.No problems and runs sweet.Alot of people say use hd studs blah,blah,blah.I did and my machine work cost me a fortune.Then I went to a buddy of mine who raced them and said that I just flushed money down the toilet cuz with 11:1 comp they arent needed.Only with thee 12.5:1 and uo are they required.Really do it yourself.You can do it.I know a girl who built one and only had the manual to help herself.Oh and use a 42 pilot and 155 thru 160 mainjet and you will be fine.Hope you try it,I am sure you will be happy.Its a great feeling to ride a machine that you built yourself.

Good point to make. I figured I would bore it to get some more power, but if a high-comp piston will do the same thing, than I probably don't need to bore it, and I am going to do a cam too. I am sure I can do it myself, I just figured that if someone else did it and something went wrong, I'd have some recourse to get it fixed. Good to know that it's not hard to do.

GPracer2500
03-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Just remember that you'll still need to hone the cylinder even with the a new stock-sized piston.