PDA

View Full Version : The low down on long travels????(Who Knows?)

Pepto_Bismol
07-22-2002, 10:44 PM
I have full Elkas all around..but can anyone tell me (through experience..none of this my friends wifes cousin stuff) Are long travels shocks are a better setup for MX, or standard style ZPS shocks with some extended A-Arms. What is the NORM here for MX.....By that I mean which setup is more widespread for MX??? Please advise. (Anyone know if I can convert my standard Elka's into Long travels..) For example anyone know what setup Dana Creech is using on his quad in Hawaii in Huevos 4 ?

Pepto:cool:

airheadedduner
07-23-2002, 12:16 AM
he is using pep zps. that is a long traval setup, when the bike leaves the ground the shocks extend to there full traval. anywhere around a foot of traval is good for mx but no matter how much you have it don't help enless its valved right. your elka's should work fine.

Nausty
07-23-2002, 03:33 AM
i'm sure dana would reply if you sent him a email. You could pm him but he isn't on much anymore. Heck he sent me a autograph.

Dave400ex
07-23-2002, 09:26 AM
I think your Elka`s would be fine. If you want Long Travel you would have to get new Shocks. Dana was using a PEP/Laeger setup.

trx400ex
07-23-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
I think your Elka`s would be fine. If you want Long Travel you would have to get new Shocks. Dana was using a PEP/Laeger setup.

Actualy dana was riding a 400ex with pep zps on roll aarms in hawaii...

Pepto- most people run standard travel aarms, but the long travels are definatly better, as you move up hrought the ranks you will see more and more long travel, like the pros all run it, most of the 250A does to i beleive,,it will make for alot better ride, just costs more

cdalejef
07-23-2002, 10:13 AM
I have raced with both and the long travels do make a pretty big differance. Usually the people that buy the long travel stuff are the really aggressive racers. So it comes down to if you want to fork over the bucks to get the differance that they do make.

Dave400ex
07-23-2002, 12:27 PM
Oh I have never seen anybody run Roll arms with PEP shocks. That would be cool though. We should ask Dana what was all done to that 400.

airheadedduner
07-23-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Oh I have never seen anybody run Roll arms with PEP shocks. That would be cool though. We should ask Dana what was all done to that 400.

probly everything

Nausty
07-23-2002, 02:39 PM
I think he was talking about in h4 when he brought all the parts he needed by plane.

Lorduss
07-23-2002, 11:09 PM
what island where they on ? i used to live on maui and lanai, not much offroading in hawaii, except for lanai, alot there.

Nausty
07-23-2002, 11:14 PM
umm does it mention any cities. I know they were driving by a road sign that might tell you the volcano they were riding on and then put that up on the net and see which island it was.

Lorduss
07-23-2002, 11:38 PM
hmmmm,

it probbly wasnt lanai, lanai doesnt have a sign that says valcano, seriously, small island.

Maui it defintly wasnt, maui has A track, and the rest is illegal.
im not sure about the other islands but im betting it was oahu or kauai, if you can nail the name for me that would be awesome,

and yeah, you can bet it was a pain in the *** for them to get there with there bikes and ****, if they broke some thing there pretty much ****, not much for bikepreformance shops in the islands.

was there a freeway ?

Nausty
07-24-2002, 12:48 AM
i'll tell you tomarrow when I watch it.

airheadedduner
07-24-2002, 11:46 AM
i think i do remeber them driving down a freeway.