PDA

View Full Version : Buying MX Gear questions...

tazman7
03-11-2006, 04:06 PM
I am planning on starting to race this upcoming season and I am kind of confused on what to look for when it comes to buying mx clothing and gear.

I went to the local atv store and tries on a couple pairs of pants. It seemed like the cheaper ($80-$100) pants didnt have much padding or anything in them. But when you got up to the ($120-$130) range, they started to get a little more padding in the pants. Is it worth the extra money to buy the ones with padding or is it a waste?

The boots that I tried on didnt seem to nice either. And they cost around $140. Do I have to pay alot of money for boots to get a decent pair or is there something that you guys recommend?

Im not looking to go broke buying the clothing that I need to race, But I want to be protected too. I would prefer buying a pair of boots, pants, and riding gloves and thats it. Then just wearing a hooded sweatshirt or t-shirt.

Is there any web sites that have decent used boots or anything?

thanks

antman
03-11-2006, 04:10 PM
i recomend buying from the inter net. rocky mountain atv is where i get alot of my stuff and they usually got pretty goot deals

dopeyferree
03-11-2006, 04:50 PM
motosport usually has good package deals on gear. You can get gear combos with boots, pants, jersey and gloves for around $200 if you search on the net.

LTandRaptorider
03-11-2006, 06:46 PM
From someone who has broken 8 bones over almost 20 years of riding; don't skimp on protective gear! I know it's expensive... But worth it. Accidents WILL happen. ;) And perhaps most important, get a good quality helmet! I spent $170 on my HJC helmet... I still have some short-term memory probs from my last accident. If I had spent more, maybe I wouldn't have that prob. But if I had spent less, I'd probably be dead.

Expect to pay about $100-120 on pants... $30-50 on a shirt... $20-30 on gloves... $150-250 on boots... $75-100 on chest protector... $20-40 on goggles... Yep, it adds up! Personally I like Fly gear... stick with known brands and don't go for low priced stuff. Yes, you can get some good package deals from Rocky Mtn... Bobscycle.com... Dennis Kirk... etc. And remember... More padding= :)

06yfm350
03-11-2006, 07:51 PM
You can get some nice Thor Quadrants for around $140.

TheFontMaster
03-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
Expect to pay about $100-120 on pants... $30-50 on a shirt... $20-30 on gloves... $150-250 on boots... $75-100 on chest protector... $20-40 on goggles... Yep, it adds up! Personally I like Fly gear... stick with known brands and don't go for low priced stuff. Yes, you can get some good package deals from Rocky Mtn... Bobscycle.com... Dennis Kirk... etc. And remember... More padding= :)

Wow, that job I've been trying to get at my local honda dealer is sounding nicer and nicer every day.....

03-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Alloy SX1 gear, Gaerne SG-10 boots, Utopia Too Dirty goggles, One Industries Trooper helmet, EVS flux chest protector, 661 neck roll, Asteriks knee braces.

tazman7
03-12-2006, 07:47 PM
ok thanks for your help....

mxfourtwoeight- is that the stuff that you have or something? Or are you just naming off brands?