PDA

View Full Version : cam install help

superstang
03-11-2006, 02:38 PM
i am working on my 400ex and not sure at top dead center are cam lobes pointing up or down and is it possible to be 180 degrees out???

superstang
03-11-2006, 03:46 PM
does anyone know about cams? the letters on my cam are b on one side and e on the other is this a stock cam and what should i set valve adjustme at?? currently they are set at .004 intake and .,005 exhaust but valve relief on piston looks like valve has been hitting on exhaust side any help is very appreciative.

underpowered
03-11-2006, 04:13 PM
lobes up or down, doesnt matter. the cam turns at exactly half the speed of the crank so you are good either way. most people do it with the lobes down though. Is it a stock or aftermarket cam? i set my valves at .005 and .006.

GPracer2500
03-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Yep, cam lobes up or down doesn't really matter.

Look at it this way, without the camshaft intalled and the piston at TDC, are you on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke? Answer: could be either one depending on how you put the cam in. If you install with the cam lobes UP then you've just located the piston at TDC on the exhaust stroke. Install the cam with the cam lobes DOWN and you've just located the piston at TDC on the compression stroke.

If you install the cam with the lobes UP just make sure that you spin the crank around to get on the compression stroke when you adjust the valve lash (prolly should do that before installing the rockers/rocker cover). For that reason, it generally makes sense to just install the cam with the lobes down.