PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for backyard track

wolffie
03-11-2006, 12:48 PM
hey guys, i found some really cheap dirt! this company is digging ditches and they offered me $35 bucks for a ten wheeler load!!! i told them give me whatever they got, so i am for sure getting between 3-5 loads!

i want to make a decent track in my back field. it is about 800ft by 800ft i suppose. does anyone have any pictures of their own backyard tracks???

i plan on making some small rythmn sections, a decent sized banked corner (mabey 6ft high) some whoops for Db's, various doubles, and one huge freestyle jump (probably a table, but then make it into a double later)

if anyone could post any pics of their own track, i would greatly appreciate it!:D

TRX23rider
03-11-2006, 08:36 PM
i cant wait until we get some decent jumps!!!!

someone post some pics of there jumps or tracks!!

wolffie
03-12-2006, 08:51 AM
i want to make a jump about double the height with a 20 foot gap and a nasty long landing!

i plan on making a rythmn section of jumps about the size of the jump below.
heres me goofing around the other day:rolleyes:

wolffie
03-12-2006, 08:55 AM

03-12-2006, 11:42 AM
make the double at least 45 ft..... 20 ft is a waste, bmx'ers do bigger then that.:ermm:

wolffie
03-12-2006, 11:58 AM
yeah good point! the only reason i said 20ft before was because i was unsure of exactly how much dirt i was getting. i now realize the minimum amount of loads will be 4!!! do you have any pics of some decent table tops or doubles?? i want to get an idea of how much dirt i will need to use up. thanks!:D

wolffie
03-14-2006, 04:40 PM
ok, heres a crude layout. the jump heights are still undecided, but everything is going to be pretty big! i plan on making a seperate Free Style jump just for tricks, but here is my idea for a track: key included.

wolffie
03-14-2006, 04:41 PM

TRX23rider
03-14-2006, 05:46 PM
i think you should get rid of that first rnythem section at the start other than that is looks pretty good!

gonenbroke
03-14-2006, 05:48 PM
yeah my lil double the gap is only like 6 ft but i cud only get one load of dirt cause right now nobodys haulin dirt buts its bigger then the jump u got a pic of the take off on mine is 3 1/2-4 1/2 ft tall and only about 4 ft so its long fairly steep and the landing is funny cause its only a foot n a half tall but its like 5 ft long and u dnt bottom out too bad...but i hit it in 3rd pinned

wolffie
03-14-2006, 05:52 PM
yeah that sounds decent. the jump up there really sucks:ermm: we moved a pile of dirt there, and really didnt even pack it. my friends and i just used shovels, and it pretty much is horrible!

trx23 rider, you know my course idea, but the thing i am thinking is that you will get too much speed out of the first cornser, so you will be coming fast at the table (meaning the table would have to be big), i think the rythmn section would conserve dirt in the long run for the FMX jump!

Jakeyracer
03-14-2006, 05:56 PM
this one is fun to dink around on only like a 10ft but its is a blast if you dont want to go out and go extreme

TRX23rider
03-14-2006, 06:01 PM
yeah i see what you are saying about the speed but it should be like that. its supposed to be like a drag race to the first turn then the turn will slow you down for the table.:D

i think if you just make that track we would have more fun than one big freestyle jump but that is just me. make the track as good as you can then with the extra dirt make a freestyle jump, or buy/make a metal ramp

Jakeyracer
03-14-2006, 06:02 PM
^^^sorry you cant realy see the take off or landing^^^

for size reference look at my friend on the red 250ex lol he cased that jump so bad he back hurt for a week

wolffie
03-14-2006, 07:10 PM
jakeyracer, i like that jump! i would but like 2 or 3 of them up against each other for a rythmn section! the nice thing about that is you can burp over it slow, or you can double it! thanks for the pic! that will make for a good rythmn section!

hondaracer31
03-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Here's my backyard track. I own a construction company so I built this myself. I can tell you this, tabletops take a massive amount of dirt!

Scro
03-14-2006, 08:39 PM
hondaracer31,

If the soil is right, could I just push the soil up that is already there and not have haul in alot of dirt? Or would the soil not be the right composition?

hondaracer31
03-15-2006, 07:51 AM
You can use what's there. Try to put the sod on the bottom and then use the clay on top. The sod and topsoil is too soft to hold the lips.
I've actually hualed about 100 tons of dirt AWAY from this track. Every bit of dirt used on this track came from on-site.

miller821
03-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Ya, a table top would take up quite a bit of dirt. But you can always make a double with a table top landing, instead of the whole thing. Just a thought.

hondaracer31
03-15-2006, 02:14 PM
When I make a "single onto a tabletop" I put a little lip on the beginning of the table. That way you can jump to the beginning of the table and still have a downslope to land on. These jumps are a good way to build up to doing bigger jumps.

wolffie
03-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by ride hard man
Ya, a table top would take up quite a bit of dirt. But you can always make a double with a table top landing, instead of the whole thing. Just a thought.

yep! if you start with a table, you can always dig the center out for a double to save dirt! hondaracer31, nice track man! do you have any close ups of the jumps/banks/and rythmn sections? looks nice though man:D

hondaracer31
03-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Here's a pic of a double, double. I'll try to find more.

hondaracer31
03-15-2006, 05:09 PM
small table..

hondaracer31
03-15-2006, 05:17 PM
50 foot triple...

hondaracer31
03-15-2006, 05:21 PM
a bermed corner...

hondaracer31
03-15-2006, 05:25 PM
70 foot triple, follows the double, double..

hondaracer31
03-15-2006, 05:28 PM
80 foot triple....

hondaracer31
03-15-2006, 05:29 PM
that's all I've got. as soon as the weather breaks, we are reversing the direction and rebuilding all the jumps.

gonenbroke
03-15-2006, 06:00 PM
DUDE YOUR TRACK IS BADASS!!!! i wish i had the dirt and equitment to make a track like that. j/w how much time have you put into building that track???

TRX23rider
03-15-2006, 06:14 PM
yeah that is one sweet track, hopefully me and wolffie can make something like that!:D

hondaracer31
03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
I only am able to work on it when the equipment isn't tied up on paying jobs so it has taken awhile to get done. Plus, it's never really done. I get bored with it,so I change it. If I were to build
one this size start to finish, it would probably take 2 or 3 weeks. I don't have any really big earth moving equipment. The biggest pieces I have are a 100hp backhoe-highlift, and an 8ton excavator.

wolffie
03-15-2006, 07:01 PM
wow, your tack is amazing!! thanks for posting pics! when i make my track (hopefully this weekend) i probably wont have as wide of jumps as you have (just because i dont know exactly how much dirt will be delivered right off the bat!) i am liking that 70 foot triple. that looks good because it is big, but everything is perfectly rounded so you could easily double it if you wanted! the 80foot triple is pretty insane!

i wont have as much room as you have (i am limited to around an 800foot area) but it will still be pretty cool! the only problem we have is that i am using my dads back hoe which is great for moving dirt/digging, but not so could for forming the jumps ( i wish i had a skidster for that) probably alot of the fine tuning when making the lips will be done with shovels, but hey what are ya gonna do!

i dont know if you would know this, but approximately what would i be able to build with 3-5 tenwheeler loads of dirt??

hondaracer31
03-15-2006, 08:07 PM
It depends on how high you make the jumps. I'm 38 years old, so I like a nice big, long landing. Dirt doesn't go very far when building jumps, you'll probably only be able to get one good sized double out of 5 tandom loads of dirt. Try building a single take-off followed by a short tabletop for a landing. Here's an interesting fact about dirt that may explain why it takes so much to build a track.......Dirt expands by 50% when you dig it. So when you build your jumps and compact them, you only end up with half as big of a pile. I used a bulldozer to shape my jumps. You can't beat the control of a dozer if you know how to operate one.
Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

hondaracer31
03-15-2006, 08:25 PM
I thought of another tip for you...Try to use any natural terrain you might have. Also, for berm or banked corners, you can use the side of a tabletop. The pic I posted of the bermed corner, the berm is cut into the side of a step down tabletop.

wolffie
03-16-2006, 04:30 PM
^^^thanks for the tips! my only means of equipment are a back hoe, shovels, other quads, and small children for slave labor (just kidding:devil: )

i know what you mean about the dirt though; once you start packing it, you realize it doesnt go along way. i will probably start out by making a decent sized double (not to big in length yet) then i will figure out how to incorporate the second landing for the triple. that way i will be able to practice on the smaller double before going all out on the triple. it will probably be between 50-70feet. my dirt should be coming this weekend, so i will keep you posted! thanks a bunch for all the help:D

TRX23rider
03-16-2006, 04:58 PM
this is a basic idea of what i think you should make the jump like, i spent 435432654hours on it and everything is perfectly to scale and it was made with extreme attention to deatil:rolleyes:

wolffie
03-16-2006, 05:01 PM
LMAO!

that is some funny ***** right there! btw trx23rider, your inbox is full you dumbass!:D

TRX23rider
03-16-2006, 05:08 PM
i cleaned it out just for you honey;)

i really think you should make something like that though

wolffie
03-16-2006, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TRX23rider
[B]i cleaned it out just for you honey;)

:huh that just doesnt sound right.........

Mxjunkie
03-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Heres some of the mx part of mine, I'll get a vid of my xc part sometime..

Yes I'm riding a thumper :eek2: Damn banshee is out of order grrr..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5du7nScRAsI&eurl=

Another one, damn warrior is a dog lol I cant even hit the darn first table fast enough to clear it, I had it pinned for the most part :o

You can see some of the step ups and step downs, theres some random gaps here and there its more of a freeride track then anything..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcAImtSX3-8&eurl=

Small stuff like this is great because say you have a friend come over they can come out and ride with you instead of watching.

wolffie
03-18-2006, 07:10 PM
thanks for the vids mxjunkie! unfortunately my dirt didnt come this weekend :( hopefully monday it will be here and i can get started!!:D

Mxjunkie
03-18-2006, 08:35 PM
haha I can get you some more once I find another quad to bum

the warrior doesnt cut it I'd have better luck hitting them on a 300ex lol

TRX23rider
03-19-2006, 12:17 PM
thats a nice setup you git there, mxjunkie! whats wrong with your banshee?

Mxjunkie
03-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Cracked the reeds beh

Hey what do u know I did find a vid before it f'ed up lmao

I could tell something was wrong it was running like chit

I can hit my stuff backwards or the regular way, I'll have to get pics of the one part, u can jump from pile to pile and chit its awesome haha theres jumps and piles everywhere

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F73OdqDdEHw

I'd make some small doubles, some whoops, singles, and one or two tables in it haha

Blue_Streak23
03-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by TRX23rider
[B]yeah i see what you are saying about the speed but it should be like that. its supposed to be like a drag race to the first turn then the turn will slow you down for the table.:D

Definatley! It needs to be a drag to the first corner. There needs to space for me to set down my wheelie! :D Also you are going to want to make sure you can clear that massive table top.

Blue_Streak23
03-19-2006, 04:39 PM
Quote by TRX23rider: "this is a basic idea of what i think you should make the jump like, i spent 435432654hours on it and everything is perfectly to scale and it was made with extreme attention to deatil"

Of course tim, you do realize your 400ex wouldn't even come close to clearing even the double! Its additude like that, that makes you better though right.

HAHAHAHHA:D

Blue_Streak23
03-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by wolffie
i know what you mean about the dirt though; once you start packing it, you realize it doesnt go along way. i will probably start out by making a decent sized double (not to big in length yet) then i will figure out how to incorporate the second landing for the triple. that way i will be able to practice on the smaller double before going all out on the triple. it will probably be between 50-70feet. my dirt should be coming this weekend, so i will keep you posted! thanks a bunch for all the help:D [/B]

So plan ACCORDINGLY matt. I have a feeling the "6-foot banks" are not going to be an option. Altough they were going to be my favorite

:( .

wolffie
03-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Blue_Streak23
So plan ACCORDINGLY matt. I have a feeling the "6-foot banks" are not going to be an option. Altough they were going to be my favorite

:( .

oh no, there will be one massive bank! that one by the road, if we have to, i will waste a whole ten wheeler load on it:devil:

ok guys, i got the base started for the one big double (decided not to make the triple) it is going to be a decent sized jump! probaly the actual jump will be around 5-6 feet tall, and i estimate you will get upwards of 12-15 feet of air over a 50 foot distance!! it should be hot! expect pics next weekend, because the dirt was unable to come :( (i hate this crappy NY weather!!) we dug a little bit with the back hoe, but we really need dirt!

Blue_Streak23
03-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Just make sure it is a DOUBLE! Try not to fill in the whole center.(it waste dirt) Anyhow, we all know we can clear it. Except Tim of course!:D HAHAHAHHAH (just kidding Tim, I don't hate the 400ex, just slightly dislike that it is a HONDA)

flattrack440ex
03-20-2006, 07:16 AM
your track design is nice but your going to need alot more dirt. the berms on my track took 3 tandem loads. i got a 35 foot table that took i dont even remember but it took alot id guess around 5. it took me n my dad a weekend with a backhoe an excavator and a bulldozer to make it but its true it is never done you always change things around. if u ever come across it put a layer of clay over your jumps because when it hardens up they last longer. mine has been together for 4 years now and i only have to do minor matinance. a backhoe is nice for doing the finish on the tracks if your very good with it try to use the front bucket when shaping the jumps. i also built a track for my buddy using a monster track loader and that even works well. u should have fun with ur track tho good luck with it ill post a pic of it if i ever figure out how to do it and if i ever get a scanner

wolffie
03-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by flattrack440ex
your track design is nice but your going to need alot more dirt. the berms on my track took 3 tandem loads. i got a 35 foot table that took i dont even remember but it took alot id guess around 5. it took me n my dad a weekend with a backhoe an excavator and a bulldozer to make it but its true it is never done you always change things around. if u ever come across it put a layer of clay over your jumps because when it hardens up they last longer. mine has been together for 4 years now and i only have to do minor matinance. a backhoe is nice for doing the finish on the tracks if your very good with it try to use the front bucket when shaping the jumps. i also built a track for my buddy using a monster track loader and that even works well. u should have fun with ur track tho good luck with it ill post a pic of it if i ever figure out how to do it and if i ever get a scanner

thanks for the feedback man! lucky for us, the whole ground is clay:devil: i know what you mean, it packs unbelievably well!! i realize we will need alot of dirt, but hey, like you said, the track is never done:D hopefully we can get the bigger jump done this weekend though! thanks again.

Blue_Streak23
03-20-2006, 04:51 PM
thanks for the feedback man! lucky for us, the whole ground is clay:devil: i know what you mean, it packs unbelievably well!! i realize we will need alot of dirt, but hey, like you said, the track is never done:D hopefully we can get the bigger jump done this weekend though! thanks again.

You think that field dirt is clay? :ermm: I think "flattrack440ex" is talking about real clay. Like the kind real tracks are made of.

flattrack440ex
03-20-2006, 05:18 PM
well i got mine rite outta a swamp n it worked real good, its not as good at packing like the clay on flat tracks but its held up nice to rain and snow and time. i also race mx so i put alot of time in on it and it stays together fairly nice. usually if there is like a wet spot or somethin that is always wet then there is clay there as long as your not hosting like nationals or nething which im sure your not this type of clay should b ok. one thing to keep in mind tho. water it b4 you ride if it has been very dry or else anyone behind you wont see nething cuz it gets dusty. with it a little bit wet there is alot of traction and it keeps the dust down. ive had 4 years to perfect this lol:D

wolffie
03-21-2006, 05:07 PM
yeah we need to do something with wetting the track! ask anyone i ride with, my track is DUSTY!!!!:D

dirt should be coming any day now........:blah:

Blue_Streak23
03-21-2006, 07:12 PM
yeah we need to do something with wetting the track! ask anyone i ride with, my track is DUSTY!!!!:D

REAL dusty...most the time I can't even see where I am going:ermm: !

03-22-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by hondaracer31
Here's my backyard track. I own a construction company so I built this myself. I can tell you this, tabletops take a massive amount of dirt!

Deffinately the sickest track ive ever been to!

wolffie
03-24-2006, 04:59 PM
yeah that trick is AWESOME looking! i got 1 load of dirt, and i am going to start diggin with my grandfather's backhoe tomorrow! i will post up pics late saturday night!

03-24-2006, 05:38 PM
Maybe ill post some pics of my project table.

wolffie
03-24-2006, 05:39 PM
sounds good! lets see the pics!:D

03-24-2006, 06:42 PM
I know it looks like chit but O well

Blue_Streak23
03-25-2006, 06:51 AM
Wolffie doesn't have all that extra room! All he has is like a small little strech that continue's on after the finish line!

NPelletier
03-25-2006, 10:53 AM
red is track
blue is jumps;)

Blue_Streak23
03-26-2006, 07:20 AM
I'm already dizzy:confused: