PDA

View Full Version : Kill switch.....and extra wires...

jason14x
03-11-2006, 07:37 AM
Guys I know some of you have put it on but I have heard several stories and such I wanna know who has wired up their kill switch and how they wired it in. I have a Pro Armor switch on order and want to know where to wire this switch in ? Near the Subframe or did you cut into the harness and go that way? I got the bike apart now ( definitely not as easy as my old school Qracer but not hard ) And have found the Blue and white wire that i have heard about before in other posts. Also have any of you guys taken off the switch assembly bypassed the handlebar switches completely?

Thanks in advance guys ( if anyone took pics of how to do it that would be cool too)

Jason NEATV-MX

05kfx400
03-11-2006, 11:46 AM
I installed the same switch on mine. Here's how:
I removed my front fenders and tank plastics. This may not have been necessary but I was going to try and tap into the harness up front. It is is bundled up pretty tight, so...
I soldered about 2 feet of wire to one of the switch wires and insulated the joint with heat shrink.
I mounted the switch to my bars and ran the 2 wires down. On one of the wires I crimped a ring lug and grouded it to the frame using the bolt that holds one side of the silver cable support.
The other wire I ran along the factory harness to the back of the bike being careful to stay out of places where the wire could get damaged and shorted.
I used an inline splice tap on the white wire right after the connector located on the left side of the bike near the subframe attachment.
I don't have any pictures but I hope the write up helps.

LTZ400ApK
03-12-2006, 08:24 PM
i took off the whole start,stop,light assembly all together,the 2 orange wires inside the switch need to be connected together, the switch that goes to the clutch can be disconnected,theres 3 wires for the headlights,ones a hot,the other 2 is high/low beam,and the other 2 wires inside the assembly are for your start button
hope this helps

jason14x
03-14-2006, 08:47 AM
did you just cut the har ness and tie off the rest ? I take it you just wire the two starter wires to the "new" kill/starter button? I would like I said prefer not to hack up the wiring harness so if i can cap the wires and then just tie them toghether let me know ! THANKS for your help!!!

Jason

05kfx400
03-14-2006, 09:00 AM
The wires on the switch that goes to the clutch need to be wired together. If you have an old switch cut the wires and solder them together on the connector side then use the connector to plug into the stock harness.

jason14x
03-14-2006, 09:17 AM
I hate wiring.....ok so you tie toghether the clutch switch got it. then you dis assemble the light switch/on of/start switch assembly . Then as far as the extra wires what did you do with them all? I assume if I got this figured out right the wires that go to the start switch now go to the new button? and the two orange wires were for the on off switch so once wired toghether there allset ? you left the key switch in place correct? Sorry Im being a pain Ive never been good with wires they drive me crazy!!!

Jason

05kfx400
03-14-2006, 11:33 AM
It sound like you got it to me. The only thing you might want to do is see (I don't remember) if there is a connector on the wires to the switch and starter and make your connection there rather than taking the switch apart. That makes it easier if you wan't to put it all back to stock.

jason14x
03-14-2006, 04:22 PM
Yeah I know I had my old qudracer and even that one without a start button was a pain in the a** had to disassemble the whole switch. Thanks for all your help..Im hoping there are some connectors as well I guess ill just get some caps and heat shrink and seal everything off ! thanks again.

Jason

05kfx400
03-14-2006, 09:46 PM
You're welcome. Glad I could help.