PDA

View Full Version : 300ex timing chain

lumpy300
03-10-2006, 08:32 PM
i was putting my 300 back together today, a new piston and rings. went to put cam and chain in and cam chain is off crank gear to the inside near the case. has anyone had this happen, if so can you put the chain back on the gear without having to tear down right hand side?

Sjorge450R
03-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by lumpy300
i was putting my 300 back together today, a new piston and rings. went to put cam and chain in and cam chain is off crank gear to the inside near the case. has anyone had this happen, if so can you put the chain back on the gear without having to tear down right hand side?

you can, but I wouldn't recommend it. It would be hard to make sure that it gets one the bottom gear correctly. Just do it the right way and take the side cover off and put it on. Theres only like 10 bolts TOPS that hold the cover on.

ZeroLogic
03-10-2006, 09:13 PM
You can get it back on there without taking off the side cover. Its tricky though. Also too see if you have it on take off the to turn the motor over, I forget what they are called lol, and just turn over the motor. If the timing chain moves its on if it dosen't try again. Good luck.

zeppelin
03-10-2006, 09:14 PM
taking the cases off is completely unnesecary. just screw around with the chain untill you get it on the sproket. screwdrivers help. once you get it on there just make sure that the crank is still lined up with the holes in the clutch cover and your good to go.

Cody_300ex
03-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
you can, but I wouldn't recommend it. It would be hard to make sure that it gets one the bottom gear correctly. Just do it the right way and take the side cover off and put it on. Theres only like 10 bolts TOPS that hold the cover on.

LMAO what are you talking about, thats nothing but a waste of time. Just Stick a (clean & fairly long) flat-head screw driver down in there and pop it back on, I bet I had to do it 4 differnt times last weekend putting a motor together.

TarheelRedRider
03-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah I just put my motor back together and had the same thing happing. I just used a small long flat head to slide it back into place. I also found that if you tie a long string to the chain it makes it easier to pull the chain back up if you drop it. Dont do like me, I had the head on and droped a freaking washer down the motor. Took me two hours and a whole lot of choice words to fish it out.

lumpy300
03-10-2006, 10:39 PM
thanks, it had happened today not too long before i went to work, so i didn't have much time to mess with it. i thought i might be able to do it, but wasn't for sure. i'll try it tomorrow.