PDA

View Full Version : FCR or Edelbrock

rhandw69
10-02-2001, 11:22 PM
who in here has either the FCR or the Edelbrock carb.
How do you like it, and just how does it enhance the performance.
Meaning, what does it provide, more of everything or just a little of one thing.
Rhan

86atc250r
10-03-2001, 05:43 AM
I have an FCR and have ridden the Edelbrock...

The FCR provides a vast improvement everywhere, I was especially impressed by the bottom end it added, even though in theory a larger carb should kill off some bottom.

The Edelbrock seems to be a good running carb as well. Can't attest to the difference over stock because I haven't done a side by side comparison like I have with the FCR.

Deciding factors -

The FCR requires no modifications to the bike and has a shorter pull than the factory carb. It uses standard jets, a roller mounted slide and has an impressive racing heritage, including being OEM equipment on high end bikes like the YZ426F, YZ250F, CRF450R, KTM520, etc...

The Edelbrock is an updated Lectron design without jets or the adjustability of the FCR. It requires a few mods to the machine and has a longer throttle throw than stock. It came stock on a KTM or two, but was commonly replaced with different equipment.

Either should provide a significant boost in performance over stock.

If it were me, I'd still buy the FCR.

10-04-2001, 01:01 AM
I have the FCR and your going to get more power from it than a edelbrock. The edelbrock is really a cheap carburetor and requires more elbow grease to install. I am in the retail business but I also race the products I sell, and as that may imply am around lots of people in the ATV business and I am yet to meet someone that was satisfied with the edelbrock carb.

The FCR is a little more expensive but well worth every penny. It is also built to race specs. This carb is also used by Duncan Racing, CT racing and, Curtis Sparks Racing so you know its race worthy.

If you are interested in purchasing an FCR I sell it for $450.00 with the thumb throttle cable (plus shipping and handling). If you have anymore questions contact me.

Shane Jacobs

atvtrailrider
10-09-2001, 09:47 PM
The eldebrock was a very easy install. It added almost 2.5 hp right out of the box. It has an adjustment knob on top of the carb and comes with a couple different needles. Very smooth power delivery from the Eldebrock carb.

Jake250ex
03-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Edelbrock.

The FCR requires a teardown to re jet. You must re jet on a lot of occasions if you take riding seriously, like weather changes and adding/changing setups. The edelbrock can be changes with a spin of the fingers.

the FCR has no accelator pump also. The brock does. This will make a huge difference in accel.

The FCR makes no attempt to have any sort of anti slosh plate for constant fuel deliver..... guess what does

The Edelbrock is cheaper

any questions?

K_Fulk
03-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex

any questions?

Yeah why did you bring up a 4 year old post?

And since when has the fcr not had an accelerator pump.

Z-Racer-5c
03-02-2005, 05:41 PM
I have the 41mm FCR and it is a pumper!! I have a friend that uses the other and he does not like it!! I would go with the FCR all the way around if money is not the object.

cals400ex
03-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
Edelbrock.

The FCR requires a teardown to re jet. You must re jet on a lot of occasions if you take riding seriously, like weather changes and adding/changing setups. The edelbrock can be changes with a spin of the fingers.

the FCR has no accelator pump also. The brock does. This will make a huge difference in accel.

The FCR makes no attempt to have any sort of anti slosh plate for constant fuel deliver..... guess what does

The Edelbrock is cheaper

any questions?

even with these points you made, i haven't talked to ONE person who owned both that preferred the edelbrock. i am not saying which is better because i only runs fcr's. i will say having a longer throttle throw and a stiff throttle would NOT cut it for me.

Juggalo
03-04-2005, 03:33 PM
i recently installed an FCR 39mm on my quad. i havent adjusted the jetting or tuned it barley at all. its been really cold and i have only rode it a handful of times but when i have taken it out the quad hasnt ran too good. this is of course since i havent tuned the carb at all. with that being said even tho i can tell its not running right theres a huge increase in power that i can feel. the throttle response is awesome. in nuetral it goes from idle to rev limiter in a second. it revs like a yfz. the 1st 3 gears pull like crazy. i cant wait for it to warm up so i can get this thing tuned and make it run like it should. its awesome. i def reccomend the FCR

MillerTime
03-04-2005, 10:49 PM
If there is any body looking to buy a Edelbrock carb I have a used one sitting in its original box.

86atc250r
03-04-2005, 11:12 PM

Mine doesn't. I can change needles, pilots, and/or mains in a matter of a couple minutes with very few tools.

The FCR doesn't take constant rejetting - in fact, I rarely tinker with mine unless I make changes to my engine configuration or we get drastic weather changes.

The quad also starts better than it ever did with the stock carb.

the FCR has no accelator pump also. The brock does. This will make a huge difference in accel. :confused:

Better check again. The FCR DOES have an accel pump

The Streebike FCR that is sold for the 400ex does not have a mainjet anti-slosh shroud, but you can pick one up from an MX FCR if you like, because they've got them.

The CRF FCRs that are used on the 450R are purpose built MX carbs - the best carb money can buy - it's not by accident that practically every modern high performance 4 stroke comes with them as OEM equipment.

Also, I belive Sudco now sells MX FCRs instead of the older street bike style for the 400ex.

Another big point very few people mention is that the FCR has a shorter throttle throw than stock --- the Edelbrock has a longer throw than stock and actually requires grinding of the thumb throttle assembly to reach full throttle.

This long throw is not only irritating but it causes thumb fatigue - the shorter throw of the FCR "bottoms out" sooner, requiring the muscles of your thumb to contract less to apply throttle - you'd be amazed at how this affects thumb fatigue after spending a little time with each - in ATV racing or in a long day of riding it makes the difference between an enjoyable time or a painful experience - worth the price of the carb alone.

MarkyNark
03-05-2005, 06:11 AM
Ive had both the FCR 39 and the Edelbrock 38MM "Doug Eichner" Carburetor.

If you like to tinker, the FCR is a fine carb. However the Edelbrock is very easy to rejet, just a simply turn of the screwdriver and you click right to richen or left to lean. It is true, that to take full advantage of the Edelbrock, with its longer cable throw - so you'll need to go to twist to take full advantage of that. Modifying the EX thumb throttle will not result in enough cable pull to take full advantage of the carb.

Duncan Racing uses the Edelbrock 38MM "Doug Eichner" Carburetor, and I think its the best, simplest way increase HP on a 440.

just my 2 cents - I would never go back to the FCR on the 440EX.

TC426EX
03-05-2005, 08:04 AM
FCR all the way. Ive used a Lectron and FCR and the 39mm FCR is the best carb Ive ever used. Noticeable power increase and accelleration right out of the box once you get it adjusted right...

enduro400rider
03-05-2005, 05:05 PM
I have the Edlebrock and im very satisfied with it, i busted a scew off in it last summer and i called edlebrock to see if they could fix it and they told me to send it back so i did about a week or so latter they sent it back and they had replaced over $150 worth of parts on it and it was like brand new all this for free. edlebrock is a very good company and the power is great on it too, i didnt have much trouble at all installing it the only thing i had to do was grind the thumb throttle witch was pretty easy to do with a dremal i have never ridden a FCR but the difference between stock and edlebrock was a big change