PDA

View Full Version : PA riding

mike nash
03-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Reading Anthracite, spoke with them today and you can ride their property as long as its not in active operation(there is a yearly fee). Only they can not say exactly where the trails are because they have like19000 acres in 12 counties.

So if anyone knows where Reading Anthracites mining properties are for riding post them up. Thanks

JW450R1
03-12-2006, 06:34 PM
where about is this at?.i'm in nj and ok with traveling.

mike nash
03-13-2006, 08:27 AM
I'm still trying to find out. I'm in Rockland above Bergen county, I always have to travel. Racing this year just so I can ride. Check out Atlantic Grand Prix. First race is in Barnegat,New Jersey on April 2.

taeck00
03-14-2006, 09:24 AM
hey guys i am new to the forum but i live in NE PA and saw this info on WNEP about 1 month ago. Reading Mining has now opened thousands and thousands of acres to ride for a yearly fee of $100.00. There is some things that go along with it the reason they are doing this is because they had 20,000 $'s if equipment stolen a month or so ago and their thoughts are if ppl are in their riding and see strange things they will report it. I just upgraded to an 06 700 raptor r and am getting back into the sport. But I will be doing some research and get the info out to the forum.

taeck00
03-14-2006, 09:30 AM
http://www.wnep.com/global/story.asp?s=4538557

mike nash
03-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Good lookin out taeck00. Will be waiting for more info.

LI400EX
03-18-2006, 07:28 AM
Anyone ride there yet? If so whats it like?

TargetBow
03-19-2006, 07:18 PM
I did not ride there yet, I got my permit and intend to ride there sometime this spring. I am currently trying to map out the land that they own so I don't stray off onto other property that is not owned by Reading Anthracite Company.
The below is a reply to an E-mail i sent them asking for information.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Access permits are available Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, except for lunch from 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm.

You must apply in person for the permit and provide your drivers license, registration and proof of insurance. Permits will be issued to children between the ages of 12 and 16 with proof of a valid training certificate for ATV riding or hunting.

Cost is $100.00 per person.

Maps are not available showing Reading Anthracite Company properties. Property locations can be checked by using the Schuylkill County parcel locator website.

Reading Anthracite Company
570-622-5150
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to the Schuylkill Count parcel locator website:

http://www.co.schuylkill.pa.us/parcelviewer/

I hope this link works and whoever is interested in it can find the info they need to locate the property boundries. I had a little difficulty learning how it worked but finaly was able to locate the propertys. I am now trying to transfer the boundries to topographic maps and load to a GPS. I tried a few times without any luck to attach a screen shot of a topo map with some of there property lines on it. Sorry I don't know how to do it.

mike nash
03-20-2006, 07:15 AM
Seems to be a daunting task to figure out all the info. Great info hope to hear feedback on where to ride soon. Thanks TargetBow.

nasty88r
03-20-2006, 07:27 AM
Anyone know how long it would take form the Philly area?? And are there some big coal hills to climb??

taeck00
03-21-2006, 12:46 AM
it should be under 1.5hrs from philly it is in northern schuylkill county and I am certain that there are some big hills to climb as it is a coal mining facility. I am still waiting to hear from them but it seems as though there is a lot of good info that has been posted since my last post. Thanks for the info and good luck.

jimh
03-21-2006, 04:26 AM
I don't post very often...but I will pass along some advice.

At 11:00am last Friday I was #308. They are only giving out 350.

It is now Tuesday, Call before you make the drive up to Pottsville.

I wouldn't count on you charming your way into #351...the lady ( Fran? ) that regesters the riders seems to have had enough.

She has been regestering about 80 riders per week over and above her current responsibilities.

Please don't sleep on this one...you better make the call today.

Jim H

JW450R1
03-21-2006, 05:26 AM
i called and talked to fran to.the only thing i really don't like is that no one knows were the boundaries are and u need to find all the info out yourself.how do u know if u really don't know whats there.there is diiferent locations.the company can't even tell u were to part..:confused: they made it sound like if u run off the property by mistake,and know one with the company can tell u were the property lines are the other land owners will lock u up.
it just sounds like there could be a lot of trouble to me.thats all my opinion thou......

chal23
03-21-2006, 05:43 AM
There are no permits left to give out, they sold the last one yesterday at 3:30.

Originally they were supposed to sell 1000 of them but scaled it back to 350 for some reason.

I missed the boat as a lot of people did and will have to wait till next year unless they decide to hand out more at a later date.

atvcarl@comcast
03-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Call them today, and they said they are not selling any more permits. 350 permits is there limit. They said to try in( Dec) . So we have to wait till then.

TargetBow
04-03-2006, 03:10 PM
This past Sunday I finally got to ride at the Reading Anthracite Companys land and I had a great time. If you have ever rode at Tower City and like it there you would love a day of ridding here.
There seems to be a little bit of everything there. And beleive me, I was unable to cover all the land available for riding.
I found some awsome hill climbs which makes the one called Everest at Tower City look small which it isn't.
There are a lot of these types of hill climbs which some brave riders went up or down looking at the tracks. I personaly did not see anyone attempt to climb these and I am not that skilled to try them myself. A matter of fact when I look from the top down it makes me dizzy. Just joking but they are big.
If you like slightly smaller hill climbs there seem to be alot of them also.
You may run into some rocky terrain at times but not to much, at least the places I went on Sunday it seemed I had to look for the rocky stuff.
There is nice flat long coal roads also. I did see about 20 people total riding there on Sunday and heard more in the distance while sitting and taking a break.
All in all I would rate this place very good because of all the different terrain to satisfy most recreational riders.
Next time I go there I will take a digital camera along and take some pics of those big hill climbs and some of the different terrain in general to give everyone a visual aid. The hill climbs are big but not like the ones pictured in another thread I read in the forum that has dune buggys pictured riding up it.
Did anyone else get a chance to ride there and if so how did you like it?

4punksdad
04-04-2006, 02:24 PM
I am headed to treverton this weekend.

TargetBow
04-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Is there anyway you could post directions to this place?
Sure looks like it would be a cool place to ride. Let use know how you make out this weekend.

Crazy lil punk
04-04-2006, 07:41 PM
only giving out 350 permits is a load of BS to me, and how can people ride and and hunt at the same time??? the hunters will be picking off the riders, And the riders will be running over the hunters

4punksdad
04-05-2006, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by TargetBow
Is there anyway you could post directions to this place?
Sure looks like it would be a cool place to ride. Let use know how you make out this weekend.

I-81 Minersville exit. Look for pics in the trail tales forum next sunday or monday

Donkey1
04-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Please dont go without me Dirt. I will be forced to thrash you.

Donkey1
04-05-2006, 10:27 AM
I miss you already

Donkey1
04-05-2006, 10:28 AM
do not go without me

Donkey1
04-05-2006, 10:30 AM
I have to have a honeymoon.

Donkey1
04-05-2006, 10:31 AM
You will feel awful if you leave me

Donkey1
04-05-2006, 10:31 AM
Is the Brian going

4punksdad
04-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Donkey1
Is the Brian going

look donkey................if you would rather go to cheesy a.s.s gatlinburg TN with your new bride (who looks like my sister I might add) than go riding in treverton PA with us thats your business. But don't try making me feel bad. I do that enough on my own. :o

nasty88r
04-05-2006, 10:55 PM
:huh :huh

Donkey1
04-06-2006, 06:33 AM
I am not feeling the love

Donkey1
04-06-2006, 06:58 AM
You will not have fun without me

Donkey1
04-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I think I am going to sell my bike

TargetBow
04-06-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Crazy lil punk
only giving out 350 permits is a load of BS to me, and how can people ride and and hunt at the same time??? the hunters will be picking off the riders, And the riders will be running over the hunters

Yes, I agree the 350 permits is not a lot but from riding around and checking the land out there is plenty of land that would only be good for riding on and then there is land that you would have to make your own trail on which I doubt very much that many would do considering all the available land that is already rideable without making your own trails. Yes, I am sure there are some that would want to make there own trails but I would think with 20,000 acres to choose from to hunt or ride and only 350 people legaly able to do this I think hunters and riders could get along.
Also how many times do you see deer and other game out on the trails when riding? I have seen them a few times already when riding in wooded areas. I myself would think that ATV's would not scare all the game off and that area could still be hunted with some type of success.
I would think that everyone out there on the trails either hunting or riding is out to enjoy themselves and not try to hurt anyone on purpose like shoot at riders or run over hunters. Maybe there may be a few but I hope not and I hope you would not be one to do that either.
I hope that next year, Reading Anthracite hands out more permits than 350 so more people can experience the great riding that they have to offer.
I am a hunter also but am not sure if I would hunt there even though I am able to with the permit. I just think it is great that I have almost all of 20,000 acres to utilize for hunting if I would want to. Some local riding areas around the area charge alot more for riding legaly but don't allow the members to hunt even though the land is shared with hunting clubs so I feel that the $100.00 that I spent for the permit is well worth the money. And hopfully if more permits are given out next year more people will be able to enjoy the same experiance.

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 04:39 PM
I am going to try my luck at posting some pics of the Reading Anthracite area I was at on Saturday 15th of April. I will only post a few if this works to give you an idea of the different terrain there. Here goes the 1st try to attach a pic. Hope it works.

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Don't know how to upload bigger pics. Had to make them small to upload to the forum. Sorry

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Pic# 3

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 04:43 PM

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 04:44 PM

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 04:45 PM

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 04:46 PM

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 04:47 PM

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 04:48 PM

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 04:53 PM
#10 I tried to post some hillclimbs and also some other terrain to give you an idea of what the area was like that I was in on Saturday. I have more pics but don't want to clutter the board up with them. I am sorry if I posted to many this time. If so please let me know and I will try to delete them.

nasty88r
04-16-2006, 06:07 PM
The more the better.. Good job man:D :D

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 06:12 PM
A few more!

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 06:21 PM
another

Crazy Diamond
04-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Looks Good! What town are these near? Post some more!

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 06:25 PM
Zoomed in on quarry filled with water

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 06:28 PM
It's really close to Minersville, PA.

TargetBow
04-16-2006, 06:36 PM
last 1

4punksdad
04-18-2006, 07:53 AM
cool pics............thanks for sharing

MR.BIG
04-18-2006, 08:19 AM
That looks awesome and there isn't many rocks which is good considering it's in PA!

TargetBow
04-18-2006, 06:52 PM
I did find some areas that had rocks but the majority of the area that I was riding that day was not very rocky as you can see from the pics.
I sure hope that Reading Anthracite starts selling some more permits so more people can take advantage of the great riding they have to offer.
I rode there 2 times so far and would really like to hook up with someone that has a permit to ride with. Everyone that I know failed to get a permit when they had them available and it is a bummer riding alone.
I have not seen anyone park and ride like I do. The few that I do see seem to be locals that would rather not be bothered with me tagging along.
Hopfully they are not pissed off at me for not being a local and feel that I am stealing there riding area. Because if you look at all the trails and how worn in they are you see that there was a lot of riding going on well before Reading Anthracite started selling permits to ride on the land to the public.

4punksdad
04-18-2006, 08:14 PM
targetbow,

feel free to join us the next time we head to minersville............we have found some cool spots there too. Maybe we can share knowledge and have even more fun. We don't have the most politically correct group.............but we don't litter and we try not to ruin our next oportunity to ride. If you like, I can PM you the next time we plan a trip up there.

TargetBow
04-19-2006, 03:22 PM
4punksdad,
That sounds great!! Let me know when you plan on taking your next trip to minersville and I will try to make it. We can plan on meeting somewhere where we both know how to get there and go from there. Just shoot me a line when you plan on going and I'll respond back. Thanks for the invite.
If you don't mine me asking where abouts do you ride in minersville. I get off of Interstate 81 north at the minersville exit and then make a right which is 901 I think. The riding that I do starts in that general area and goes for miles. I just want to let you know that this is the reading anthracite companies land that I ride on and they do require a permit to ride. I have not been checked the 2 times I went so far but you never know if they would check and require you to show a permit. Just wanted to let you know that up front in case you don't have a permit for the area. I have no problem riding with you and your group if you don't have a permit I just wanted you to know that there is always a possiblility of being checked and I don't want to cause you any trouble.

4punksdad
04-19-2006, 11:08 PM
Not aware of all the local rules..............got directions from a local rider and had no problems in the last 2 years riding there. Drop me a PM so I remember to invite you the next time we head that way.......If I get a ticket for not having the right paperwork, I'll send a check. Asking forgiveness is easier than asking permission in most cases. :)