PDA

View Full Version : long travel or regular

mysticfalcon
07-22-2002, 07:46 PM
Shawn the crazy canadian with the black 400 want to get new shocks for his ride and is debating between long travel +2 a-arms and elkas all the way around or regular travel elkas and +2 a-arms and a +1 1/4 swingarm and a wider axel. Which do you guys think would help the most. Money isnt that big a deal since hes goin to the bank for the money. Thank kenny (400ex127) for gettin this in his head. :)

Pappy
07-22-2002, 07:48 PM
hahaha....who me?

Dave400ex
07-22-2002, 08:01 PM
Well if he Jumps a lot Long Travel will be better. Actually I think Long Travel would be better in just about any kind of Riding. If Money is not a problem why doesn`t he get Houser +2 Long Travel Arms, Long Travel Elka`s, Houser +1.25 Swingarm, and a LSR or RPM Axle?

Crypted1
07-22-2002, 08:33 PM
Get the Houser long arms +3, houser swing arm and elkas all the way around, RPM axle, carrier, and anti-fade. If your going to it... might as well do it right the first time.

07-22-2002, 10:21 PM
My friend just got the Roll Design Lobo kits front and back, crown series brake lines and all, with dura blue axle, it handles really nice. I think Roll Design and Walsh make the best chassis parts, so if you have the money take a look at those.

airheadedduner
07-23-2002, 12:24 AM
if money is not an option y not go with axis, pep, or ohlins?

mysticfalcon
07-23-2002, 12:43 AM
I said money isnt that big a deal not money is no object cause hes gonna borow between 2500 and 3000. both that i said will be around 2600. If money was no option id be having him go all out and put it on the nearest yellow 400ex :devil if he gets this done we'll have to get back to lembo eh kenny :) hows the 2nd week of sept. sound. oh my god ive been around the canadians too long i just said eh. oh no i did it again better quit typin now.

airheadedduner
07-23-2002, 12:51 AM
i would look at tcs shocks. race leval triple rates, fully adjustable run about 850. tcs rebuild on teh rear which is plenty good enough is 450. that would leave plenty left for arms.

Nausty
07-23-2002, 03:27 AM
nothing wrong with elka's and I definitely think elka's are better than ohlins but then again the ohlins I rode wern't valved for me and was on a banshee. But I would go with the 2nd one with out the long travels I would think that stock lengh shocks would be fine. And you would pretty much need to be around the pro level to really be able to put them to use if you ask me. My friend justin is built and can ride a stock 250x and pass every quad out there and is better than me but I still am faster on the track because of my quad. I'm talking stock suspension and just a pipe and he whoops most race quads. just goes to show a lot of it isn't the quad and me i'd rather have a better all around machine.

Dave400ex
07-23-2002, 09:15 AM
Nausty is right you really don`t need Long Travel. He could save a lot of Money by just getting the standard a-arms and shocks. Then he can get a RPM Axle.

mysticfalcon
07-23-2002, 09:30 AM
well he decided to go reg. travel. I just got off the phone with the quad shop and he is getting +2 hooser a-arms, elka tr fronts, macdaddy rear rebuild, hooser +1.25" swingarm, lsr axle, new chain + sprocket combo, elka shockwares, a 416 and cam

Dave400ex
07-23-2002, 09:32 AM
Wow man he spent a lot of Money there. That sounds awesome let us know how it works out.

Nausty
07-23-2002, 11:33 PM
lol if I had 2000 bucks I would get a rpm axle, houser long travel shocks for the stock length shocks, curtis sparks full exhaust and a few other little things. Ah then is all i would have to do is motor work and a powder coat and i'm done.

airheadedduner
07-24-2002, 11:26 AM
as much as that cost i could have put an lrd frame under my R!!!!!!!!!

Mxbubs
07-28-2002, 10:50 AM
Straight from the horses mouth:

1.25" is too much on the rear swingarm, get the +1.00"

Dont get the +1's forward.

The best setup for the 400ex is 3+0 a-arms, with 4+1 offset front rims, with a 1.00" over swingarm. I have tried all the combinations. This is the best.

Oh one other things, guys do your homework. Everybody is raving about John Houser's stuff, has anyone compared it to Brad Herrmann's? Houser, Roll Design (Lobo II) and money others use a conventional ball joint on the top a-arm that has a male stud. The studs will eventually brake or bend. Herrmannracing makes the same if not better a-arm as the walshes at a fraction of the cost. Brad uses spherical race bearings with a drop in bolt and sleeve on the tops and bottoms. Gibson also uses this setup. I cant see why people are still excited about The LOBO II front end when the Herrmanns are way better, and WAY CHEAPER.

mrusk
07-28-2002, 12:53 PM
Amen mxbubs.

Adventually i will have a full herrmann chasis.

matt

Dave400ex
07-28-2002, 02:40 PM
Well if Herrmann can get his name out there he will do good. I have looked at his stuff and it is very nice. If he is using the same stuff Walsh does then he has a top of the line product. How do the Prices compare from Herrmann to Walsh?

Sick0
07-28-2002, 05:31 PM
I though I would give the herrmans a try, They look very well made. I'm getting the regular 2 plus a_arms. I thought they looked unique also and I got them at a reasonaly prices in any powdercoated color I wanted. I haven't got them yet but I hope they come out sweet.

Nausty
07-28-2002, 10:09 PM
whats herrmans web site and do they have a long travel set up for 16" shocks like houser?

Dave400ex
07-28-2002, 10:15 PM
WWW.HerrmannRacing.COM

Mxbubs
07-29-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
whats herrmans web site and do they have a long travel set up for 16" shocks like houser?

John Houser's 16" shock a-arm gives you no more travel than a conventional +2 setup. Its called marketing. Give Brad Herrmann a call, you will not be sorry.

Nausty
07-29-2002, 02:21 PM
are you sure?

http://www.houser-racing.com/Long%20Travel%20A-Arms.htm.

Mxbubs
07-29-2002, 08:19 PM
I am positive. His long travels are 19" shocks, he is relocating the shock mount down on the +2 arms to use this shock, why? I really dont know why anyone would rather a +2 arm with a 19" shock over a +3 arm with 19" shocks. I cant explain it all, but I assure you, his +2 arms with 16" shocks are nothing to write home about.

07-29-2002, 11:34 PM
SOme info,

Housers Long Travel (19")come +1+2+3. They use the high misalignment heim style rod joint for the upper ball joint.

Housers claim for the 16" long travel is that the high misalignment rod end joint on the upper arm allows for additional travel, how much I dont know.

I dont know much about the herman (especially the long travels) but I do see in the picture on his site that they also use the heim type rod end joints. They just use them in different locations and sub the upper arm one with a king pin set up.

So which is better? I think it depends on your preference for who evers design, but I would assume both should work well by looking at them.

I personally am not a big fan of the heim joint for longevity but with only a few to deal with and a reasonable price (these appear to be standard industrial rod ends which are avail from various mfg's and priced low for the most part) and are very easy to change.

Then If I were deciding between the two it may just coem down to who is a bigger pain in the butt or delivery or maybe even price.

Just my 02

PS Hope I dont have any problems with the houser +1 longtravels 19". they should be here soon.

Sparks425Ex
07-30-2002, 08:49 AM
Does anyone have a picture of the Houser +2 with the 19" Or 16" mounted. I wanna see the differance between normal shocks and the 16 and 19.

Mxbubs
08-04-2002, 01:15 PM
These are hermmann racing's long travel +3's with 19" shocks. I paid $600 for the arms when he first starting building them!

Mxbubs
08-04-2002, 01:15 PM
closer

Dave400ex
08-04-2002, 02:27 PM
Those A-Arms are sweet. How much are they now?

Nausty
08-04-2002, 05:58 PM
mxbubs. You want a avator? post a picture of the avator and I'll size it for you and crop it and I will post the picture and you can link it. Just post the pic you want for your avator right now.

Mxbubs
08-04-2002, 06:24 PM
Heres my avator!

Mxbubs
08-04-2002, 06:25 PM
BLING BLING

kicker696
08-04-2002, 11:50 PM
why not go with the gibson long travel a-arms with TCS compresion adj. shocks for 1950.00, then get a gibson swingarm for 600, and a lonestar axle for 400, bringing the total to about 2950 and you have a very good setup!!!

Nausty
08-04-2002, 11:56 PM
. http://209.120.142.52/attachment.php?s=&postid=191770
is the link for this one

Nausty
08-05-2002, 12:00 AM
.. go to user cp under user options I think, the 3rd button to the right and then go to the bottem and hit change avator. paste this in and click the box for avator. http://209.120.142.52/attachment.php?s=&postid=191772

08-05-2002, 12:04 AM
You had to go and do it, now we gotta see dat thang every time he post.

JK

Mxbubs
08-05-2002, 03:56 PM
BLING BLING!

Mxbubs
08-05-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by kicker696
why not go with the gibson long travel a-arms with TCS compresion adj. shocks for 1950.00, then get a gibson swingarm for 600, and a lonestar axle for 400, bringing the total to about 2950 and you have a very good setup!!!

Because you can get the Hermmanns +3 long travel, basically the same arms if not better with 19" elkas for around 1600$.....Elka's are a better shock in my opinion anyway. I think the gibson swingarm is a RIPOFF.....No one has heard of this company and they just bust out onto the scene asking TOP DOLLAR for their stuff when I dont know anyone who has tested or tried it.......I automatically get the impression from looking at their prices that they think their stuff is made of gold, that tells me that if it ever breaks I can hear it now "It must have been something you did wrong".

kicker696
08-05-2002, 07:53 PM
I know 3 people with the gibson/tcs setup and are very satisfied. All the gibson a-arms are long travel a-arms, so there for they take 19' shocks. TCS is far better than elka, if your worried about this company coming on right away and asking top dallar, just look at elka, until a year ago no one knew of elka, now they are everywhere.

DMC mx400ex
08-05-2002, 08:09 PM
that raptor is realy gay! I am getting herman racing too, i allready have an lsr axle on the way then i am getting herman racing +2's with works:mad: (the cheap way) it will be fine, after i would buy a herman racing swingarm.
ANd after i will get a hetrick 425 kit:D :D :D
-ralph

08-05-2002, 08:11 PM
No one has heard of this company and they just bust out onto the scene asking TOP DOLLAR for their stuff when I dont know anyone who has tested or tried it.......

if your worried about this company coming on right away and asking top dallar, just look at elka, until a year ago no one knew of elka, now they are everywhere.

Funny how you guys have different ideas on which manufacturer is better etc, but seem to be in complete agreeance that this stuff is way too expensive.

I guess Elka is still priced competetivly but their trying to price fix their retail sales price and you know what that means,MO MONEY.

I find when buying stuff for my quad that quality, cost of manufacturing, performance v/s other brands etc has very little to do with pricing. It seems that this market will allow some pretty high numbers for some pretty shabby products (just look at those BS chinese bearings you guys are paying 1000 times what their worth) and that price seems to be completely based on what we are willing to pay.

So I guess your both right in a way and I am finding so little difference in many of the suspension parts performance (from what I can decifer between all the BS) that any of the set ups suggested would work fine.

Theres a guy on here who has in his sig "its 95% rider and 5% machine" and its soooooo true. I bet no one here would be suprised if givin the chance to swap with one of the top pro's and race them on your quad and you on theirs that the slower machine would be turning in faster times, I wouldnt.

Nausty
08-05-2002, 08:22 PM
I agree, I hate people who think they need a full race quad to be competive. One of my friends rides a 250x stock other than pipe and the thing barely runs and he comes out in 2nd in quad b class. ahahahaha that would be funny as **** getting beat by a quad thats 3 or 4 times cheaper.

Dave400ex
08-05-2002, 08:26 PM
I agree with 440EX4me. It`s mostly Rider. When it comes to A-A-Arms, Shocks, Motor Work or anything you Guys get to choose it doesn`t matter. I mean your argueing about Herrmann and Gibson and I say go buy Walsh and screw the other too. lol. So you get what you want and run it. We are just here to give you Ideas and let you know what Products suck and break and so on (Lonestar Swingarms). As far as the Pro`s, if Tim Farr got on Rico`s 416 and Rico got on Tim`s CRF440, Tim would blow him away.

400exRacerX
08-05-2002, 09:03 PM
Long travel is the way to go if you got the cash, This is my favorite setup.

axis 19" roll +3 long travel

08-05-2002, 11:16 PM
Norm that was the set up I was looking to get originally (except for the +3 too wide for the woods) but started looking at the housers and elkas and decided to save myself about a grand.

Dont know how much of a diff its gonna make but Chad Duvall seems to be doing ok with the 16" set up.

Nausty I agree, I hate people who think they need a full race quad to be competive.
Hey now Nausty dont get nasty:D ;) some of us need to have better equipment to make up for our lack of ability :blah :blah

My running joke is that my quad needs to be twice as fast as I am so I never have to work as hard, but its two sided since as I get better I got to throw gobs of cash into the quad to keep it ahead.

The theory here is that the machine is able to handle more than the rider that way you never get in over your head and (hopefully) not get banged up too bad. When you get older the pain lasts longer:rolleyes: :mad: :eek:

08-05-2002, 11:17 PM
Thought that was a roll set up but looking closer whats with the LSR uppers??????

Lorduss
08-10-2002, 01:54 AM
that quad is truly homo, honestly, thats pathetic, cant belive he waisted a quad like that.
for the love of god.

plus, maby it is 95% rider, i completely agree, but having longer travel and arms and more power is awesome, and i have it for a reasion,

where not all racing...... constantly.

but i love the track.