PDA

View Full Version : help with a 450r please

05 rancher
03-10-2006, 11:45 AM
My brother is at work and im off today so he asked me to post this,so please bare with me..any help would be great.He took his 05 450R out yesterday and it ran ok,about 20 mins into his ride the quad like ran out of gas and cut off.Its started back up,and runs fine till you hit the gas,and then it dies again.he has some work done to it such as cams,revpack,full exhaust,jetted,ect.We took the plug out and it was fine,but we cleaned it up some,we ran it out of gas from idal,and then tried it again and it still did it,than we tried the gas line and started it for 10secs and let it run,and then we put the gas line on and tried it again,nothing......Also on monday he put new headlight bulbs in and thay are a little more watts then stock,could that be it.......We are stuck and its going to be a great weekend here in Nj !!!!! any help would be great.please help....Thanks Guys

antman
03-10-2006, 12:26 PM
i had somthing similar to that happen to my kfx bad before i sold it. it ended up that my carb had gotten gunked up and needed to be cleaned... try taking off the carb and cleaning it with some carb cleaner. could help

antman
03-10-2006, 12:27 PM
also you said you installed new lights... see if it does the same thing when they are off as opposed to when they are on

05 rancher
03-10-2006, 12:44 PM
thaks guy sany other feed=back would be good

03-10-2006, 07:13 PM
ive heard of the gas tanks having problems with pieces of plastic coming loose inside them and clogging up a filter in the carb or lines. look for this i can almost guarantee this is your problem

killen them all
03-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
ive heard of the gas tanks having problems with pieces of plastic coming loose inside them and clogging up a filter in the carb or lines. look for this i can almost guarantee this is your problem i have herd that 2

ZSK
03-11-2006, 09:17 AM
It deffinately sounds like it's not getting fuel from the tank one way or another. Check for a clogged petcock, try switching to reserve also. Dumb question for the day: Is there gas in it?:)

Also, check the gas tank breather tube for cloggs. Could be preventing the carb from filling up.

elite ATV1
03-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by antman
i had somthing similar to that happen to my kfx bad before i sold it. it ended up that my carb had gotten gunked up and needed to be cleaned... try taking off the carb and cleaning it with some carb cleaner. could help

i had the same thing happen to me....took te carb apart and cleaned it all up worked fine.

zeppelin
03-11-2006, 11:03 AM
this is how i would do it

1 check your air filter make sure it isnt too dirty or that something is blocking it

2 check the vent tube coming off of your gas cap, if it is pinched or kinked it wont allow gas to flow out of a tank

3 clean the chit out of your carb, every little jet and orfice needs to be spotless

4 replace the spark plug with a new one any way even if the one you have looks alright

5 check the gas tank petcock clean the shiza out of it aswell

6 if all that doesnt help, go threw your electrical system.

good luck