PDA

View Full Version : CRF Cam Mod

Jstbnme
03-09-2006, 08:19 PM
I asked this in another thread and have yet to get a response ... so I'll ask here.

Anyone dropped an `06 CRF Cam into an `04/`05 R?

I've been "hearing" a lot, but so far yet to talk with someone that has actually made the change.

??????

03-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Jstbnme
I asked this in another thread and have yet to get a response ... so I'll ask here.

Anyone dropped an `06 CRF Cam into an `04/`05 R?

I've been "hearing" a lot, but so far yet to talk with someone that has actually made the change.

??????

havent heard anything, most people use the 2002 cam for more mid-top end, and the 2005 cam for more overall performance, if your going to drop money for a cam for the kind of performance the crf cams offer you might as well get the hotcam stage 2 and gain a little bit more performance then the crf cams

xsr_racing28c
03-10-2006, 10:25 AM
i recently went with an 04 crf cam in mine, and have noticed a smooth gain throughout the band.. it was well worth the investment, and my buddies time (Flattrack450)... thanks tony, ~jason

chris450R
03-10-2006, 10:33 AM
well if you can find one now, the 04/05 HRC cam is just incredible. i have it in mine and i could tell a huge differences over stock. and i installed it when i just had a pipe so the performance increase was definitely a good one. now with the rest of my current mods my R pulls awesome!

DirtDevilBT
03-10-2006, 12:22 PM
2002= great bottom to midrange power, this is what I have and it really makes the bike bark. Inredible low end power with a moderate increase in top end. I also have a HC piston and the bottom-mid and a top end are incredible, however this is necessary for the way I ride.

2005= this cam is being used as the new HRC cam for the 2006 450r. It can be used in the 04-05 R's and provides excellent overall power from bottom to top.

04-05 HRC= is a mid-top end cam that a lot of ppl are happy with however it depends on where u ride. It would work great in the dunes or desert and works with a HC piston very well. It does not improve the bottom and low midrange and may feel sluggish off the bottom. A HC piston and HRC cam would make for a well rounded machine.

Jstbnme
03-10-2006, 07:45 PM
What I've been hearing is that the `06 CRF cam has great bottom to mid performance gains and is the way to go for an XC setup.

Once again, I won't know until I get my motor back next week. At that time, I'll give a review. Of course the valves will be recut/angled and some other internals done as well, but I should be able to clearly describe the difference over stock. :D

sammy5x
03-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Does anyone have any info on the 2003 CRF cam. I have one and thinking on running it instead of the HRC cam. My set up is a 2004 TRX 450 with a Big Gun full exh, 11.5:1 Wiseco, 2002 CRF carb with Boyseen pump, HRC kit, flowed head with port match front to back, UNI filter with custom intake and bread box. By swiching to the 2003 CRF cam how will it affect the power spread? Thanks-

XCRACER26
03-11-2006, 10:34 PM
I have a 03 crf cam in myne and it added lots of mid and top end power. thats where i always ride the motor anyway so It was a good fit for me. oh I bought it for $40 and it was basicly new.

DirtDevilBT
03-13-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by sammy5x
Does anyone have any info on the 2003 CRF cam. I have one and thinking on running it instead of the HRC cam. My set up is a 2004 TRX 450 with a Big Gun full exh, 11.5:1 Wiseco, 2002 CRF carb with Boyseen pump, HRC kit, flowed head with port match front to back, UNI filter with custom intake and bread box. By swiching to the 2003 CRF cam how will it affect the power spread? Thanks-

The timing on the cam is different on the 03-04 crfs than the 02. The 02 is for bottom to mid while the 03-04 is more mid to top with an slight increase in bottom. I was told this by a 2003 crf guy so I think that's right, he changed his timing on the cam to match an older 02.

I wouldn't mind see the difference of the 05-06 cam, will be looking for the review.