PDA

View Full Version : JE 13:1 Pistons...how are they ?

xsr_racing28c
03-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Alright, so i just purchased a brand new JE 13:1 compression piston kit , that i am planning on installing on my 04 450r... Could you guys that use these tell me what kinda fuel i should use and what kinda gaskets i should install when doing the kit( stock, aftermarket)?? Since im doing it , i want to do it the right way...

could you also tell me what kinda positives there are with this kit? thanks, jason

cals400ex
03-09-2006, 06:59 PM
stock gasket work just fine. the metal cosmetic ones work good too. most people run around 100 octane fuel with that piston but some try to cut it close by running 93-94 octane. you can mix race fuel with pump gas if you want. that is your choice. the cam you run has a lot to do with what octane you need to run....

jeepnrocks
03-09-2006, 07:41 PM
THe JE was a huge difference from the stock piston. Completely transformed the R

nowukno
03-09-2006, 11:10 PM
I have had mine for awhile , awesome power gains everywhere. I run 50/50 mix of 110 & 93 octane.

xsr_racing28c
03-10-2006, 07:06 AM
ok...... well i will probably run 50/50 110 and 93 also....

i have an 04 crf 450r cam in mine, does that change anything?

cals400ex
03-10-2006, 09:18 AM
there isn't as much overlap with that cam compared to an HRC but 100 octane should be good if you ask me.

4LEAFCLOVER
03-10-2006, 10:58 AM
I love my 13:1 JE piston. I had it installed when my Rossier was put on so I don't know which gave me the most power. But all I can say now is WOW. I have so much power now, my 05 is like a new 450 now. I run straight 110 octane now but I'm thinking about starting to mix 110 with 93 now because this 110 is pretty expensive. I've heard alot of people saying they do a 50/50 mix and it seems to work for them, so I'm probably going to start doing that. I have the HRC cam so my 450 is being built for top end speed. I just raced a YFZ-450 with cam and GYT-R exhaust this past weekend and I was spanking him all day long. Along with another YFZ-450 that had a Ron Woods exhaust, spanked him to. I'm very happy with the power I've acheived from my 450R now. I'm about to have my head ported and polished, and have Kibblewhit valve springs and intake valves put in so I can install my Dynatek CDI next. Just got to save up the money to have the work done.

xsr_racing28c
03-10-2006, 11:16 AM
yea i plan on getting some head work done also, but since i just bought all new suspension, the wallet is getting thinner.. Im just gonna do the piston and cam for now, but later on there should be some porting done, and a vortex programmable ignition... i'm hoping to achieve around 50 hp or so..

4LEAFCLOVER
03-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
yea i plan on getting some head work done also, but since i just bought all new suspension, the wallet is getting thinner.. Im just gonna do the piston and cam for now, but later on there should be some porting done, and a vortex programmable ignition... i'm hoping to achieve around 50 hp or so..

Yeah these quads can tend to dig deep into your pockets. Buying parts for these things is more expensive than buying parts for my 05 Nissan Frontier. I'm kinda addicted to trying to fix my 450R up right now. It seems like every penny I make goes into this quad. My wife is getting real jealous of the quad now. But anyways back to the porting and head work. I have all the parts to have my head worked done but I don't have the money right now to pay for the labor. Like I said before, I'm going to replace my stock valve springs and intake valves with Kibblewhite valve springs and Black Diamond intake vavles the next time my head is opened up. I want to be done with my motor this time I open her up. They guy that does all my work is only charging me $200 to port and polish my head so I've got to save up the money to have the work done. It hurts to go in my garage everyday and see the Kibblewhite valve springs and KW intake valves and my Dynatek CDI just sitting there waiting to be intalled. I can do the CDI myself but when it comes to working on the motor, I leave it up to the professionals. Well good luck working on your 450R.

xsr_racing28c
03-10-2006, 02:56 PM
wow man, $200 is a good deal.. around here everyone is around $450-600 for a good port and polish...

So do you have to have a ported head to install the vortex cdi, or is it just safer?? I guess i don't understand why you don't install the cdi...

4LEAFCLOVER
03-10-2006, 06:35 PM
Everyone I've spoken to have told me to replace my stock valve springs out with the heavyduty Kibblewhite valve springs just to be on the safe side so I don't float a vavle from using such a high rev limit. The stock rev limit is around 9500 RPM's and with the Dynatek I'll be somewhere close to the 11,000 RPM mark. The guy I bought my CDI from highly recommended me replacing the vavle springs and the intake valves. I have the heavyduty Kibblewhite Valve spring kit and the Kibblewhite Black Diamond Intake valves just waiting to be installed. I just want to be on the safe side being that I've got alot of time and money tied up into my 450R already. With my luck I would install the Dyna CDI and as soon I went on my first ride I would float a valve. So I'm guessing it would be a good idea to do if you are installing the Vortex also. I don't know what the Vortex CDI allows you to reach but if it's any where around the upper 10,000 RPM mark I would do it.