PDA

View Full Version : 300ex Rear Shock Question

chapmanmd
03-09-2006, 03:19 PM
I just got my PEP fronts and rear back from service for my 300ex and they look great.

My question is this...

I currently have my Works Ultracross rear shock on there and I have it set up really well for me. I almost hate to take it off and start over again with the adjustments, other than the PEP is a much better shock and is completely fresh.

What would you guys do? Leave the Works on there or take it off and sell it?

Dumb question I know, but I'd like to have some of your opinions.

300exOH
03-09-2006, 03:26 PM
I would put the PEP on there so that you have a full matching set and sell the works. It shouldn't be that difficult to get the new shocks set up the way you like them.

chapmanmd
03-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Agreed. I saved all my settings before I sent them in.

300exOH
03-09-2006, 03:40 PM
I have elkas up front and a works(converted to SSD like the elkas) in the rear and it works well but I can tell the fronts are just a bit better. Someday maybe I'll shell out the money for the elka rear. I really think a matched setup will perform much better. I'm curious to hear how well the PEPs work out for you.

chapmanmd
03-09-2006, 03:43 PM
The PEP's are the best Ive ever ridden on for XC. I know that others have their opinions, but mine is that the PEP is great for what I do. I like them better than the Elkas I had on there in that they are a hell of alot easier to setup and keep setup. Plus, I havent broken one of the shafts yet, like I did the Elka, so I have that going for me too!

I was just looking for some opinions on taking off something that is working for me.

8my_Cash
03-09-2006, 06:51 PM
go with the pep and sell the works, since pep make some great XC shocks and great shocks in general.

dnt get me wrong im running works tripple rates up front and i love it but i only jump ramps and do freestyle but in your case i would go with the pep and sell the works you wont regret it

humblesquirel21
03-09-2006, 07:49 PM
haha i thought i was the only one with elkas up front and a works in the rear ultra cross rezzie and it does the job but isnt anywhere near as good as my elkas

300exOH
03-09-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by chapmanmd
The PEP's are the best Ive ever ridden on for XC. I know that others have their opinions, but mine is that the PEP is great for what I do. I like them better than the Elkas I had on there in that they are a hell of alot easier to setup and keep setup. Plus, I havent broken one of the shafts yet, like I did the Elka, so I have that going for me too!

I was just looking for some opinions on taking off something that is working for me.

The PEP's must be pretty good if you like them better than the elkas. If the PEP's are that good then you should definitely ditch the works. You could alway bolt the works shock back on if you find you like it better.

300exOH
03-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by humblesquirel21
haha i thought i was the only one with elkas up front and a works in the rear ultra cross rezzie and it does the job but isnt anywhere near as good as my elkas

Did you have your rear works shock springs converted to SSD(zero preload) also?

chapmanmd
03-10-2006, 05:58 AM
Dont run SSD or zero preload for XC, at least I dont. Need the ground clearance...

chapmanmd
03-10-2006, 06:32 AM
Pics of the PEP

chapmanmd
03-10-2006, 06:34 AM
One more

kyleschonert
03-10-2006, 08:38 AM
daaaaaaaaaaaaaang those look niiiiiiice. How long did it take for you to get those back. I need my rear one revalved, how much did it cost, and would he be able to convert it to ZPS. BUt that looks awesome. Did you just by that PEP?

chapmanmd
03-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Nope, that set of PEP's have been around for awhile. Just had Mark Baldwin from www.Baldwinmotorsports.com do them for me. New springs, valves, bumpers, shafts on the fronts, etc. They were tired and ready for rebuild.

They can be converted to zps for mx. I just dont run MX. Too damned old for that stuff anymore.

Mark is the king of PEP shocks and I wouldnt dream of sending them to anyone else.

Come to a MX at Belleville Enduro Team this year and take a look at the quad. I do all Tech Inspections. Its a pretty sweet Three hundred something ex.

300exOH
03-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by chapmanmd
Dont run SSD or zero preload for XC, at least I dont. Need the ground clearance...

I don't have any problems on the trails with the SSD shocks. I can still set the ride height where I need it to be. Nice looking shocks BTW. Should be a nice 300 when it's done. Post some more pics if you can after you get them bolted on.

250exRgood2
03-10-2006, 10:11 AM
PEP

chapmanmd
03-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Getting close to done now. Front PEP's are on, 400ex billet front hubs are on (looks pretty good with the Douglas Shamrock Beadlocks), new braided brake lines are on. Front end is aligned and good to go.

Tomorrow comes the rear PEP and then Im done. Good thing, first Hare Scramble of the year is in 2 weeks.

I'll post pics when Im done.