PDA

View Full Version : 01 400ex front brakes not going togther

foxr
03-09-2006, 11:01 AM
on my 400ex the brake pads were shot and the 1 wheel would turn and stop and turn and stop like the rotor/disk was bent. i ordered new rotors/disks and brake pads, i installed the rotor and when i go to install the caliper with brake pads and bolt it down the disk is locked, the outer pad is putting pressure on the disk/rotor.

i tried installing the old pads with new rotor and it works but its got that same go and stop routine when spinning, and tried old rotor with new pads and it just locks up solid again.

bolting the caliper on by itself with no pads there is not much clearnce between for the pad to fit(for the outer pad not the side with the piston in the caliper), wich is making me think that the caliper is bent maybe? it doesnt seem to be adjustable at all.

Thanks

foxr
03-10-2006, 12:02 PM
no one out there knows how i can fix? :(

JOEX
03-10-2006, 09:35 PM
One of mine doesn't spin so freely either, but i've tagged a few trees:p I haven't looked too much into it, still running the original set up too.

Maybe the hub or spindle is bent or a bad casting from the factory?

Just tossing out some thoughts;)

foxr
03-10-2006, 09:40 PM
how would i go about finding out wich i need the replace the caliper, spindle or hub, id hate to have to buy all 3 replacements.

i can run my old brake pads but they are shot theres no pad left, the new pad just wont fit on the outside between the caliper and disk.

JOEX
03-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Maybe try a different brand of pads?

I haven't replace the fronts yet so I don't know any tips or trick on getting them to fit.:(

foxr
03-10-2006, 10:20 PM
the only kind of pads that would work are ones that are worn down because the clearnce is so tight on the outer side.

rooster300ex
03-11-2006, 09:27 AM
The left side of my quad got hit by a motorcycle and i think it may have bent the spindle alil, bent the rotor alil too and it turns pretty freely. something isn't right with yours, make sure the pads are in there really good. make sure the brake piston is plumb down in the caliper as far as it will go. i thought i had my caliper piston was all the way down, but it wasn't, so i got pair of vice grip c-clamps and made it go all the way in. thats when i noticed it turning more freely.

foxr
03-11-2006, 09:53 AM
yah i pushed the piston in all the way, the Caliper i think is busted, seems like the outer pad holder is way to close to the rotor and its not adjustable to make more clearnce, there is 1 screw under a rubber plug and i turned it out and it seemed to make it worse but i think that was just the mounting bolt for the outer part of the caliper.

im thinkinf of trying a new caliper but they go for $211CAD at my local dealer :eek2:

rooster300ex
03-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Ebay!

foxr
03-11-2006, 09:56 AM
yeah i just ordered a dump load of parts off of there but it took a month to get, guy kept lying about the day he sent off my packages, he is the only one really with caliper for half decent price right now too....:(

foxr
03-13-2006, 05:20 PM
ok what was wrong is the Caliper. the Caliper Braket was sitting much to far out as it was adjusted(auto adjustes) for the worn out brake pads, it was sitting way out to far because the slide pin was rusted/stuck solid in the bore. i have ordered the new parts to replace now.

What would you reccommend to clean out the bore that the slide pin goes in. it is a bit rusty and Ruff