View Full Version : HELP!! Antifreeze and metal shavings in the oil!!

lanky3767
03-09-2006, 07:40 AM
:mad:

I don't know what to do!! I have an 86' TRX250. I thought that all my problems laid in my mechanical seal leaking. I just changed it and everything went very smooth without any problems. I then changed the oil and ran the bike for 15-20 min turned the bike off and checked the oil. The oil was a grayish color and also shiny, almost like it has really small pieces of metal like metal flake not big enough to be grity at all. I am thinking maybe the head gasket, but I am not sure where the metal flakes are coming from and I just replaced the head gasket when I did the crank. It seems to run perfect except for the oil, so if it was the head gasket wouldn't it be losing compression and run like crap? Can anyone help me out and give me some direction as to what direction to take this?

Thanks,

LANKY3767

matt250r21
03-09-2006, 08:23 AM
It sounds like one or more bearing in the bottom end are going bad, allowing something to rub against the aluminum cases. That would explain the tiny metal shavings. Take a magnet to the oil and find out if the metal is steel or aluminum. Sounds like you need to pull the bottom end apart to me. As for the anti-freeze, did you replace all the water pump parts that can go bad? Mechanical seal, oil seal and shaft bearing?

lanky3767
03-09-2006, 09:05 AM
I was thinking that the metal shavings could be coming from the clutches I've been having a little problem with the clutch.