PDA

View Full Version : is there a recall on the 2001 raptor tranny?

worm
07-22-2002, 03:21 PM
second gear on my quad is broken.. it shifts fine inn to all gears fine but in second it slips... kind of like the clutches slipping but it is for sure second gear...

muff
07-22-2002, 08:57 PM
nope, yamaha hasnt put out any recalls, they blamed it on operator error and not manufacture's defect, even though they did change the gears fo th 2002s

Castor-426ex
07-23-2002, 12:22 AM
thear wasnt a recall but there were a massive amount of broken 2nd and 3rd gears in the trannies
And defective clutches...I hate to say it but your prob lookin at about 5-700 bucks to fix it...if a tooth has broken off a gear it could eventually fry the whole bottom end...I cant believe Yamaha didnt recall...they new it was a problem cause they changed the ratio for the 2002 model. Go to www.bluetraxx.com they have a place you can check your serial number

Nausty
07-23-2002, 03:54 AM
yah thats why i'm glad I went with honda:D sorry man but I know I won't have these problems.

Guy400
07-23-2002, 04:58 AM
There's a thread in the Raptor forum at Bluetraxx. Go there and inside is a link to the CPSC. Report your tranny failure to them and if the problem seems big enough they could force Yamaha to recall them. I doubt it will ever happen though as the 2002 model year is already passing and the 03's are now out.

Here's the funny part, several years ago Polaris had a tranny problem. There were only like 12 reports of tranny's locking up and Polaris recalled the whole line of quads for repairs. Ahhh, Yamaha customer service... I doubt I'll ever own a Yamaha quad again just because of the principle of it.

muff
07-23-2002, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by GuyLT250R
I doubt I'll ever own a Yamaha quad again just because of the principle of it.

I hear you loud and clear, but the thing is, the average person hasnt heard of the problems so they're buyin used '01 raptors real cheap and they think they're getting a good deal but they dont realize that the gears are probably goin

i talked to a guy on ebay who was selling a raptor and i told him that if it was a 2002 i'd be interested, he's like, it's a 2001 but there's no difference right?

worm
07-23-2002, 07:51 AM
my buddy and i can fix the quad we dont need a dealer... im not allowed over at bluetraxx any more i hate them anyway, the moderators try toooooooo hard.. but here is my serial #
JY4AM01331A002188
WILL SOME ONE REPOST MY FIRST POST AT BLUETRAXX W/ MY SERIAL #?
PLEASE KEEP ME UPDATED ON WHATSUP

400thumper
07-25-2002, 05:21 PM
why won't they let you on blue traxx? .just read they are trying to get a recall on the 01 i have one no problems yet .will keep you updated ...

Castor-426ex
07-25-2002, 11:08 PM
isten to this crap I read in our local paper that yamaha is recalling 96 and 97 model warriors because of faulty hubs?

wtf raptor tranny bad...who cares?

warrior hubs bad...lets recall!!!!!

worm
07-26-2002, 08:50 AM
what the jon? maybe over time they will do something.. did any one post my problems on the yamaha site?

zzbudzz
07-26-2002, 01:02 PM
they'll recall the hubs cause if they fail or fall off, some body would get hurt and sue! if the raptor tranny fails or breaks it just doesn't run anymore and the dealers make money! go figure! money makes the world go round,huh.

Guy400
07-28-2002, 06:01 AM
I added your name to the blown tranny list at Bluetraxx and I also got the number of the guy at the CPSC. I copied this straight off the CPSC thread over there. "EVERYONE THAT HAS EVER HAD AN '01 RAPTOR TRANNY FAILURE CALL THIS NUMBER (301-504-0580 ext.1188) AND SPEAK WITH MARK ROSS (CPSC)!!"

You MUST call this guy and relay your information to him so that something may be done! Polaris had 7 reports filed to the CPSC for locking tranny's and they were recalled. Yamaha has now recalled 96-97 Warrior's after 10 reports of failing rear hubs. Somehow, mysteriously, there have easily been at least 100 reports of locking Raptor trannies and Yamaha still doesn't know a thing about it??

Castor-426ex
07-30-2002, 12:36 AM
this is more screwed up than a circus midget, a teletubby, and a jar of mayo....i think somebody is gettin paid off...

07-30-2002, 09:03 AM
3 of my freinds have had the problem on thier 01 raptors too i dont think you can up date to the newer gears either so the problem will keep happening.....id call the cpsc or w/e my freind called yamaha and its his fault not thiers....yea right

Guy400
07-30-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by #12nacs400ex
3 of my freinds have had the problem on thier 01 raptors too i dont think you can up date to the newer gears either so the problem will keep happening.....id call the cpsc or w/e my freind called yamaha and its his fault not thiers....yea right Actually, you can update. You can either buy a Fortin gear set that are nearly bulletproof but they're around $700 for 2nd and 3rd gears and they retain the '01 Raptors ratio. Or, for about 1/2 the money you can upgrade to the '02 gearset which is a slightly lower gearing. Nobody has seemed to have had any problem with the '02 gears so far.