PDA

View Full Version : oil filters

Holty
07-22-2002, 01:58 PM
What brand oil filter does everyone run in their bike? How much do they cost, and where did you get it? I like to buy mine in bulk and have been running the K&N filters for awhile with no problems, just want to see what everyone else is running. I don't know if it is worth spending the extra $$$ on the K&N's or not?

BTW, I'm paying $25 for 5 K&N oil filters.

Holty
07-22-2002, 02:00 PM
Oh, BTW, you don't have to give some big explaination of why you chose the oil filter you listed if you don't want to, just please list the brand and cost.

Thanks.

yamaha1470
07-22-2002, 02:25 PM
Stock honda one.
$4.04 from service Honda
For 5 filters including shipping it is $28

I like service honda a lot. I ordered 5 filters from them and i didnt recieve them by the time they should have got here. i called and the guy realized that he took my address down wrong. he kept apologizing and sent me 10 for the price of 5. It was really no big deal but that was very nice of him. They are great people there.

RiPPiNiTuP7
07-22-2002, 02:38 PM
Emgo....$3-4..works fine...

TravEX
07-22-2002, 03:05 PM
Emgo,,,i order them from O'Reilly's,,,does anyone know of a chain Auto store (like Autozone or something) that will have them on the shelf?,,,

Drtridr18
07-22-2002, 03:14 PM
I buy STP oil filters at AutoZone for my 400, they have a bunch of different motorcycle-types there also-around 4-4.50 i think? They may not be the best you can buy, but they are cheap and i change oil relatively often anyways. And they have Mobil 1 motorcycle oil there too, so it's a one stop shop.

TravEX
07-22-2002, 03:17 PM
cool,,glad to hear that Autozone has them on the shelf,,,any other brand on the shelf besides STP?,,,later

Ex'r Marlin
07-22-2002, 06:33 PM
I run the Honda filters... But I am considering purchasing one of those stainless steel reusable ones from Scott.... I saw an ad in one of the magazines. I hear they are expensive at first, but may pay for itself in the end. Just a thought.

The only filter I have heard failing is the Fram filters. I have not tried the K&N, but I have not heard of any problems with them. I think Emgo has the same specs as the Honda one does.

Good luck!

user101
07-22-2002, 07:35 PM
i also rum emgo oil filters(4.00) my dealer wants 8.00 for a stock one filter
i know u didnt want to know why just showin everyone how dealers scrrew people.

Fox300ex
07-22-2002, 08:29 PM
I no u go to a dealer and they have two filter same exsact thing one calls for 4 and othere 8.. u put a different name on somthing price goes up or down .. i dont get it

Matt400ex_17
07-22-2002, 08:48 PM
My dealer told me that the emgo filter is the same damn thing as the stock but the company sends it to some damn foreign country (imagine that) and they make it for just about half price so thats what i use!!

Holty
07-23-2002, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys....I appreciate the input.

Anybody else use the K&N's besides me?

Also, is there "top of the line" filter out there? I guess that the Fram would be "bottome of the line"?

Ex'r Marlin
07-23-2002, 10:59 AM
I could be wrong, but I think the Vesrah (sp?) oil filter removes finer particle sizes than the Honda filter and the Emgo... Which I think would make them a higher "top of the line" filter. If I remember right, they want more money for them though. I used them a few years ago on the 300ex.... No problems, other than the price and that the local dealerships did not carry them. (I had to mail order them).