PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

BLEEDRED
03-08-2006, 05:44 AM
I just got my 2006 450R electric start and I put a couple of miles on it last night. It almost seemed like there was some slop in the drivetrain or something. When you got on the throttle it kind of clunked forward and the same if you let off on it. I might not be explaining myself very well. I'm coming off a 440...so the power was pretty much the same with the stock 450. Of course the 450 had more jump. But let's just say the transmission didn't seem too smooth. Any thoughts? Oh, I was on a paved road.

Thanks in advance!!

450robot
03-08-2006, 06:00 AM
is your chain loose? that can cause the hesitation in power delivery

03-08-2006, 06:01 AM
the tranny is soo smooth on these things...
there is a lag in the carb, the accelerator pump to be more exact. this is a problem with all fcr carbs. it can be fixed witha product called the quickshot made by boyeson, they are about $80. the bike also comes jetted a little lean and the idle a little low from the factory...i turned my idle up, as a tempory fix, and the lag/lugging is lessened. like i said, this is only a temporary fix

BLEEDRED
03-08-2006, 06:48 AM
It was out of the box yesterday. I'll have to take a look at the chain. I did notice the hesitation with the FCR carb, but that was no big deal. I usually feather the throttle anyway.

This really felt like there was slop somewhere...IDK.

trick250r
03-08-2006, 03:09 PM
i feel the same thing, and its not the carb, its def. around the tranny/chain aspect of the bike.

MAD450r
03-08-2006, 03:40 PM
You cant lug down this motor like you could the 440. Try to clutch a bit more than you did on the 400, and keep the r's up some and it'll go away.

Just my opinion. I had the same issue with my 04 when I came off my 416ex to it. Takes a bit to get use to but once you do it'll stop happening. Well that and breakin.

Dave400ex
03-08-2006, 09:04 PM
I feel the same thing on mine too. I do believe it's just from lugging it, it only happens when your hardly on the throttle, or letting all the way off. This thing just wants to be open all the time. lol

BLEEDRED
03-09-2006, 05:36 AM
I did tighten the chain last night and it was much better. Stupid dealer had so much slop in the chain...idiots!!

Any way, this thing makes power like a two stroke, I can't believe it. My 440 was a monster, torque like crazy. But this thing is sweet. You stab the throttle and it takes off. I like it. Can't wait to get it jetted right and get the pipe installed.

gbcap
03-09-2006, 07:42 AM
they aren't going to set up your bike for you...haha. but that is lazy. they don't want to set it too tight and a 300 lb person comes in an sits on the bike and brakes the chain.

you should check the chain each time you ride, cause it will loosen alot the first couple rides. and youdon't want that think coming off and putting a hole in your block. haha.

BLEEDRED
03-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Hey gbcap, did you get any seat time on that 450 before you did the GT Thunder revalve and link up? Wondering if you noticed a big difference.

MAD450r
03-09-2006, 11:33 AM
with the stock rear shock and link I had a hard time keeping it strait under hard excelleration. Once I got the link and revalve all dialed in I could excellerate as hard as I like and it goes nice and strait.

If I like riding a dirtbike I might have liked the way the rear acted stock, but I hate the way dirtbikes do that.

lumi
03-09-2006, 01:40 PM
my 06 does the same thing i just got it yesterday and if im slow on the bike is jumosaorund but if i pin it , it goes nice and smooth and i seem it understand that the more clutch u use the smoother it keeps the bike.

cals400ex
03-09-2006, 07:02 PM
if you want to hear a loud and annoying chain slap run one of those TM design chain slides. good lord it makes noise. it is loud enough i may take mine off. that amounts to $50 down the drain.

03-09-2006, 07:50 PM
the geometry on the rear of the trx is so that there is no dif in chain tention throughout the rearend travel. this means when they say only leave 1" of play in the chain they mean ONLY 1". i have a T.M. guide and can't run the chain as tight but i don't hear it at all ! maybe the pipes too loud:)