PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust stock front shocks?

04TRX400EX
03-08-2006, 12:35 AM
Simple question:
How do I adjust the preload on my stock 400EX front shocks?

I know that they are only preload adjustable and there are five prenotched settings to adjust the overall stiffness of the suspension. I have tried to use a wrench or something to turn the shock adjustment, with the shock both on and off of the quad. Didn't work, but I thought I'd try. Then I bought one of the Motion Pro spanner wrenches to adjust preload and the sh*t doesn't fit into the little grooves to grip the shock enough to adjust the preload settings. So how do I adjust it? I'm a pretty light rider and it's on setting 4 from the factory, which is too stiff for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

dillin1234
03-08-2006, 06:11 AM
i used an adjustable wrench on my raptor

03-08-2006, 06:56 AM
i used a big clamp thingy. i put it around it and squease rilly tight and turn it.
remember to jack your quad up b4 you try to ajust(makes it much easier to turn)

rooster300ex
03-08-2006, 11:06 AM
when i adjusted my 400ex shocks i used a pair of big channel locks and work fine for me.

300ex73
03-08-2006, 11:32 AM
I may be mistaken, but from my understanding shock valving is not position sensitive. So even if you adjust the preload of the down, they're still going to be a bit too stiff. All that it does is adjust the ride height of the atv. I could of course be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that adjusting the preload on the spring isn't going to make them stiffer or softer, at least not a noticeable difference anyways. It'll just make a difference in the way it sits.

fandl450r
03-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by 300ex73
I may be mistaken, but from my understanding shock valving is not position sensitive. So even if you adjust the preload of the down, they're still going to be a bit too stiff. All that it does is adjust the ride height of the atv. I could of course be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that adjusting the preload on the spring isn't going to make them stiffer or softer, at least not a noticeable difference anyways. It'll just make a difference in the way it sits.

You are correct. :) So I concur.

400exMO
03-08-2006, 05:58 PM
Take the tool you bought and grind it to fit. I did it on my old stockers, they're hard, but can be moved.

04TRX400EX
03-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by fandl450r
You are correct. :) So I concur.

Interesting to hear. If they will do little or nothing to make the ride softer, than I will not worry about adjusting the preload of the shocks. I guess I was misrepresented by the Honda manual that says to adjust the shocks depending on the trail conditions - basically to make them more or less stiff.

Oh well, one more reason to buy some Elkas :macho

fandl450r
03-09-2006, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
Interesting to hear. If they will do little or nothing to make the ride softer, than I will not worry about adjusting the preload of the shocks. I guess I was misrepresented by the Honda manual that says to adjust the shocks depending on the trail conditions - basically to make them more or less stiff.

Oh well, one more reason to buy some Elkas :macho

Well you can adjust them for trail conditions, basically they are referring to Ride Height. Deeper tracks/trails you will have your ride height higer, versus flat trails and less rutted tracks the lower the ride height you can run. This is done with the pre-load nut.